Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me repeat that....I got beat, not the car!

Here I am, driving down the hi-way in fairly busy traffic on the phone with my wife (Hands free, I know, I know). Anyway, this Nissan 240 pulls along side with two kids in it, checking out the car. I can tell they want to run cuz of the revving and what not. I tell my wife I'll call her back and smile at the boys. The driver points at the engine and spins his fingers. "I got a turbo" he mouths to me...apparently I'm deaf and can't hear the BOV. I just smile back. We ride fairly close together for a while, trading smoke till we get to the last light before the Hi-way opens up out of town. We are at the light and he ends up a car ahead of me with 2 in from of him. The light turns green and his traffic moves first but he just sits there, traffic piling up behind! So I inch up and we let traffic clear out in front of us. Once we have a couple hundred yards (Suprisingly without a single horn blow) he hits it an I follow. Now I let him go first cuz I really didn't care either way but I figured the car could do it. Anyway, I get a bad launch...too much wheel spin and he gets a car length on me. But that's it, ran out of road before we could really open things up but it was still fun! He gave me the peace sign, I give him the thumbs up.

Moral of the story, I need to practice my launches!

I gotta tell you, it was my first real street race and it was a blast! I used to always get challenged (I drive too fast and it would make people think I had more under the hood than I did) but now I have the muscle to actually go toe to toe!

I'll be hunting for that little white 240....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't even begin to guess what turbo he has, but if he's got the disco potato (very popular for 240's), you'll have a nice run on your hands. They don't make HUGE powere, but they do make power EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05IsAlive said:
I can't even begin to guess what turbo he has, but if he's got the disco potato (very popular for 240's), you'll have a nice run on your hands. They don't make HUGE powere, but they do make power EVERYWHERE.
who knows what it was but once I got grip it was pretty even. The BOV was understated, you could hear it but it wasn't crazy loud like your usual ricer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
good run

Even if you don't win, isn't it just cool when you get that kind of action out of nowhere. I love it when I've had a long day and get some unexpected friendly action. It's also a plus when your competitor isn't an *******. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlackFlag said:
Even if you don't win, isn't it just cool when you get that kind of action out of nowhere. I love it when I've had a long day and get some unexpected friendly action. It's also a plus when your competitor isn't an *******. :D
For sure. My thinking is "A Race is a Race". You can't get better if you don't go for it. Everyone thinks the car is a Saturn with a Muffler.

The other night I let the wife drive it and as she was walking to the car in the lot it was surrounded by a group of kids in their late teens, early twenties. As she got closer she heard "ooohhhhhh, it's a Saturn!" When the lights flashed and the doors unlocked they all walked away but man, it sure is fun. The long stares are not just cuz it's a nice looking car I think, most of the time they are trying to figure out what it is!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What the hell is a disco potato??

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its a nick name for a Garrett GT series turbo, GT28rs as I recall. The kid probably just had a JDM (mad tyte, yo! sorry, had to add that :rolleyes: ) red top engine conversion. From what I have read it is fairly simple to do

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know u guys hate mustang but try driving a loud racy looking stang around. I get revs everywhere!! Most camaro owners and trans ams and stuff prolly wouldnt rev on u only cuz they dont know what it is, but i get them and all the ricers and i am not as fast as they think! lol

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
I know u guys hate mustang but try driving a loud racy looking stang around. I get revs everywhere!! Most camaro owners and trans ams and stuff prolly wouldnt rev on u only cuz they dont know what it is, but i get them and all the ricers and i am not as fast as they think! lol
I don't hate Mustangs! I'd rather drive a Mustang over A LOT of other cars out there! Just not anything made by GM! ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am guessing sence he was turbo the 240sx had the ohh so popular SR20DE. Now if it is a JDM spec engine then its prolly the SR20DET wich has a itsy bitsy tubro on there. They make pretty decent power but those things really shine with a t3/t4 on there. Then your looken at 300+ hp. Or he could of had the not as popular KA24DE turbo. It doesn't have quite as much potential but its cheaper and fast. Most tubroed 240sx's are no joke. My Srt-4 has been obliterated by one on a highway roll. Good death/hang.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chexmixa said:
I am guessing sence he was turbo the 240sx had the ohh so popular SR20DE. Now if it is a JDM spec engine then its prolly the SR20DET wich has a itsy bitsy tubro on there. They make pretty decent power but those things really shine with a t3/t4 on there. Then your looken at 300+ hp. Or he could of had the not as popular KA24DE turbo. It doesn't have quite as much potential but its cheaper and fast. Most tubroed 240sx's are no joke. My Srt-4 has been obliterated by one on a highway roll. Good death/hang.

I have no idea what he had. Based on the condition of the car either he put all his money into the go or he gathered the money left over from his last Happy Meal and bought one of those BOV sound generators.

Seriously, once I got the tires gripping, it was really even. Neither of us really moved from our positions. Of course, we didn't get the chance to run very far (more of a launch contest) but I think it would have been a great race if I had a good launch. Based on that and what I remember of the 240s, I would say it was a pretty mild build.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Chexmixa said:
all US spec 240's had the 2.4, same as the nissan mini truck, which has more potential if built properly since they've so much more torque down low, which is a debate in itself, but it sounds like he did the swap to the SR20DET.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
campbell said:
I have no idea what he had. Based on the condition of the car either he put all his money into the go or he gathered the money left over from his last Happy Meal and bought one of those BOV sound generators.

Seriously, once I got the tires gripping, it was really even. Neither of us really moved from our positions. Of course, we didn't get the chance to run very far (more of a launch contest) but I think it would have been a great race if I had a good launch. Based on that and what I remember of the 240s, I would say it was a pretty mild build.
yup, sounds like just a swap, no modifications to the engine itself. the SR20DET is an engine you have to rev to make the power, which isn't enough to beat us unless you go above and beyond when you do the swap.

(i considered doing it with my pickup, but i sold it)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Right, that's why I said I'd rather drive a Mustang over alot of cars, just not over something made by GM... read closer....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey Sepsis, go back to your Dungeons and Dragons game and leave this forum to the people who are into reality - you're a plague on society.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.