Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 04 redline that i want to start modding..the thing is i have never modded a car or really worked on one..and with so many choices its hard to choose..i have narrowed it down to the zzp website..The first mod i want to get is an intake.. i have read alot about the 3" CAI intake from zzp and also the K&N typhoon intake. my question being can I fit the only 3" CAI i see on the website which is for the Cobalt for my redline?

ZZPerformance - ZZP 3 inch Cobalt CAI #ZZ-CB3CAI

then my plan is to get exhaust from that site and stage kits maybe the TVS supercharger upgrade later down the road..

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
zzp dont make it anymore, you already have a 3 inch intake, and the stock airbox protects your motor preetty good. I suggest go think of something else to do with your car, exhaust side is a good idea for sure...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn i was afraid of that..i heard that the aftermarket intakes make the supercharger scream and i kind of like the idea of that maybe ill go with the typhoon then...but exhaust wise should i also buy upgraded headers to go with it? and if i plan for the TVS should i do a 3" exhaust or 2.5"?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You could save your $ & remove the silencer from the stock intake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just had a conversation relating to this on Wednesday. I don't think ZZP will be making another IRL intake any time soon. They were going to redesign it just this week and use my car to test the fit while it was in there, but Tim emailed my about 2 hours later and said they're shelving the idea again. Its just a really tight fit with the ABS and everything right there, and while they'd love to do a 3.5', it would have to be an injection molded piece, and they don't have the equipment. Tim's car runs a 4', but they completely removed the ABS module. Probably great gains, but not exactly practical.

That said, I second the sentiment of not wasting money on an intake. Remove the silence (you'll be able to search for a how-to), and just do what ever you can to open up the stock box a bit.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
No it will not. It takes like 20 mins to take it off so you can see for yourself. But to get the loud whine you will need an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd disagree, but not everybody is into the whole black and white worldview. A small change in.how early you hear the s/c in the revs is better than dropping $200 that could be better spent on useful mods for a CAI. Especially considering how capable the stock unit already is. So remove the silencer, maybe drill some holes in the box (where water won't get in, and it isn't sucking hot engine bay air). Will it sound 'exactly' like a Weapon or K&N? Probably not. But, it will help, and you can then spend the money you had for an intake on something more pragmatic. At the end of the day, do what you want, but I thought Id explain myself.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
another option to consider is the AEM sri , i have it on my 04 IRL and love it , it does make the s/c whine a bit louder but utilizes the stock air box and lid so you avoid any problems with throwing a c.e.l. , it does replace the stock filter with a dryflow aem unit and the intake tube in the color of your choice. check it out , i found better throttle response after installation not to mention better mpg.

·
Registered
161 Posts
another option to consider is the AEM sri , i have it on my 04 IRL and love it , it does make the s/c whine a bit louder but utilizes the stock air box and lid so you avoid any problems with throwing a c.e.l. , it does replace the stock filter with a dryflow aem unit and the intake tube in the color of your choice. check it out , i found better throttle response after installation not to mention better mpg.
i thought SRI's were a big no no in efficiency because it's essentially pumping hot air into the blower and reducing total HP/Boost created or something like that since hot air is less dense than cold air...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts