Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pics are here

looks nice if you ask me. i'm going to order one when they're available (think he'll be doing a group buy) to make it fit. it's got dual heat exchangers with a fan hooked up on them, with a seperate ice box. i don't know what the fluid capacity is, but we've only got a 2liter capacity for our intercooler, so adding more liquid, more heat exchanger, and ice for the track should make for some very cool coolant!

is there any interest for something like this here?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Is there really any need to ask me? :D

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
no way thats going to hide/fit on our cars.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sp00ner said:
Is there really any need to ask me? :D
i know you'd be all over it...

seems to be a really nice piece, and they'll have dyno numbers tonight/tommorow on a boosted car running rich (guy just got a new fuel pump, hasn't tuned). can't wait to see what's going on, as they're actually using it to completely replace the heat exchanger with the supercharger kit, whereas i'll be using it as supplimentation for what we've got. i forsee some excellent benifits from this in the long run, especially in combination with the alky kit!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
That thing is huge man... there's not much to compare it with in the pics, but it does look REAL big...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
goofyguy said:
no way thats going to hide/fit on our cars.
well, the dimensions are as follows, use the pics above for reference...

Resivuar: about 12.25 inches wide, 10 inches tall, the left side is 5.5 inches wide, the right 2 and 7/8 wide.

Duel row heat exchanger: 10 inches by 10 inches each. 2 inches thick when including them together. 4 and 1/2 inches when including the fan as well.

now, for tip to tip dimensions:

Length: 2 feet, 6 and 1/2 inches. (including very tips of the heat exchanger and tip of water pump)
Height: 13.25 inches (not including the actual brackets)
Height: 18 inches (including brackets, although, i dont think this one is really needed)
Width: 5.5 inches (the widest part is the widest part of the resivuar).

i haven't looked too close in comparison with the pics, but i do know that there isn't much room on the tiburon where they plan to put it, and we've got a decent gap in our bumper. i'll have to look closer, and compare when i have a chance to look, unless anyone else wants to look

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, it's hard to tell from the pics... I'd have to go measure out under the car or something, not sure. It's a cool setup though, what's the price like on it?? Dosen't look cheap!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sp00ner said:
Yea, it's hard to tell from the pics... I'd have to go measure out under the car or something, not sure. It's a cool setup though, what's the price like on it?? Dosen't look cheap!
not yet announced. price and dyno results are coming, but he's got to finalize what it cost to fabricate it and all. hopefully not TOO much, but i assume near 200, which from the looks of it seems worth it. i still want to know how much tubing travels through the icebox, but i'm going to wait until dyno numbers are posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
For reference it will fit into a Tiburon right in front of the radiator without almost any modding to radiator support or bumper. The company making this does excellent top notch work. They currently are tuning a turbo tiburon with over 400whp, so they are top notch at what they do. They are expensive though, they do really really good work, but you pay for it. The owner TC is a great guy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What if we plumed it up a little different. Mount the heat exchande in the bumper area and mount the ice box on the passenger side of our engine bay? Run this with our stock heat exchange and that supercharger will stay pretty cool. That would be a great upgrade for autocrossing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try this instead... take out your passenger's side headlight, look into the fender, there is a HUGE EMPTY space just waiting to be pimped. If the ice box was mounted there you could fill it from the headlight opening. The ice box might need to be redesigned, and it would most likely need some custom brackets. Also cutting the dummy vent on the fender would alow circulation of less stagnant cooler air into the fender. Cutting the vent out on the driver's side would do the same for the "cool" air intake. My car is black and I can imagine inside the boxed fenders it must heat up pretty hot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you're going to allow air to get into the fender well, don't forget to give it a way out. That could potentially hurt your aerodynamics if you don't give that air somewhere to go. Consider the back edge of the wheel well. Not only will it give the air somewhere to go, but also serve a dual function in helping to cool the brakes down.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dyno Results are as follows:

so anywho....my numbers from yesterday running at 10:1 from 5700 and 110 degrees out and on:

1. 238.9 whp and 237.1 ft-lbs
2. 243.1 whp and 233.3 ft-lbs

...now...my numbers from today on JUST half a bag of melted ice (melted in the car) and the SAME EXACT air/fuel as yesterday and even hotter today:

1. 255.9 whp and 249.0 ft-lbs
2. 260.7 whp and 245.4 ft-lbs

....i gained almost 20WHP and 12 FT-LBS from yesterday on just that small bag of ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...pics and dyno sheets i'll post up tomorrow if i can...

....now i cant wait till i tune this car as it is right now....and add the ice...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Vita said:
so anywho....my numbers from yesterday running at 10:1 from 5700 and 110 degrees out and on:

1. 238.9 whp and 237.1 ft-lbs
2. 243.1 whp and 233.3 ft-lbs

...now...my numbers from today on JUST half a bag of melted ice (melted in the car) and the SAME EXACT air/fuel as yesterday and even hotter today:

1. 255.9 whp and 249.0 ft-lbs
2. 260.7 whp and 245.4 ft-lbs

....i gained almost 20WHP and 12 FT-LBS from yesterday on just that small bag of ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...pics and dyno sheets i'll post up tomorrow if i can...

....now i cant wait till i tune this car as it is right now....and add the ice...
Damn Vita, those are really nice numbers. What else did you do before the ice, other than the intake?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
Damn Vita, those are really nice numbers. What else did you do before the ice, other than the intake?
wasn't me, those are from the guy testing the icebox linked in the first thread

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you're telling me, i think it's in place of the Alpine developments heat exchanger, but if it's in addition to the pre-existing heat exchanger, then i think we could see some very similar gains.

i'm hoping he'll want to start making stuff for us, if not i'm going to try and make one of these work on our cars (shouldn't be very hard at all)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
Was that the guy from NextGen Motorsports? I plan on heading over there with that thread in hand by the end of the week BTW.
that's him, tell him about us here, and educate him on the upcoming market with the cobalt, i'm sure his bank account wouldn't mind after he realizes we're not "cheap" saturn/chevy buyers...

(this AND blower/head work...)

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I'll tell him how performance minded we are, and that with the proper aftermarket support, we'd be able to show what the LSJ can really do. Thursday is probably out for me going, but I will see when else I can make it over there, and I'll let you guys know once I do what was discussed and what his interest level seemed to be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.