Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 05 RL running in SM(F) with cold air, smaller pulley and a rear sway bar married to some Hoosier R-comps. I want to become more competitve at the track and I do not want to spend the time and money investing in a LSD. After discussing with a couple of FWD Auto-Xperts I realize that without LSD I need much firmer suspension to be able to get thru the corners. My consularie has reccomended switching to FE5 c.arms and turbo cobalt struts along with some stiffer springs. But I was leaning towards an adjustable set up. I would love to see what set up you are running, or ould run if you could. My budget is in the $700-$800 range.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I am in the exact situation as you. Except I run Kumho V710's.

Me and my co-driver have been real happy with how the car has developed this season.

I am running the Pedder's XA coilover's, OTT hardcore rear sway bar, Cobalt SS front bar, Power grid inc adjustable sway bar links, Higher durameter sway bar bushings, OTT spherical bushings in Cobalt aluminum arms. I am working on my own very hard front cab bushing at the moment.

For alignment I run -2.5 camber, 3mm toe in up front. -1.5 camber, 0 toe in the rear.

I installed a lsd trans a few years back. I would recommend it if you can. Make a big difference applying power in the sweepers.

Just installed SS TC Brembo's.

This weekend will be the biggest test for the RL this season. 13+ car registered in SMF for Sunday.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a lsd trans a few years back. I would recommend it if you can. Make a big difference applying power in the sweepers.

This weekend will be the biggest test for the RL this season. 13+ car registered in SMF for Sunday.
A LSD install is would really eat up most of my budget, but i have been told with stiff enough springs I could get away without 1 and still be competitive. Its on my "wish list" for certain.

You have 13 cars running in SMF ? I am lucky to see anyone other that myself. How are they scoring your pax ? They are giving me the same pax as SM right now.

Sounds like you have put a lot into your suspension, how much have u invested ?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just installed the last piece of my planned suspension upgrades yesterday afternoon. I still haven't had it on the track with the new mods but on the backroads around here it's handleing oh so well. I still have to be careful with throttle application though. I still haven't done any engine mods suspension/chassis only so far.

Eibach springs all around
Redline Tuning rear swaybar
Coppertop Subframe Brace
Strut Tower Brace
and I just installed the U-Race subframe connecters yesterday.

It made a big diffrence with those subframe connecters. I can't wait to get it on the track.

I really want a LSD.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I am in the exact situation as you. Except I run Kumho V710's.

Me and my co-driver have been real happy with how the car has developed this season.

I am running the Pedder's XA coilover's, OTT hardcore rear sway bar, Cobalt SS front bar, Power grid inc adjustable sway bar links, Higher durameter sway bar bushings, OTT spherical bushings in Cobalt aluminum arms. I am working on my own very hard front cab bushing at the moment.

For alignment I run -2.5 camber, 3mm toe in up front. -1.5 camber, 0 toe in the rear.

Just installed SS TC Brembo's.

Link to the Pedder's XA coilover, I want to get a set but there site does not list any for the Saturn.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Here you are Eagle

https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/default.aspx?ProdCode=160058

Don't know why they don't have a seperate listing for the Ion yet...

ionick05, I really try not to think about how much I have spent on the car. I find it best not too lol. But if I had to make a guess, I would say I have 2000-2500 in suspension. I got lucky with the Pedder's, because the ones on my car are prototypes.

They score me with the SM PAX factor also. Totally kills any chances of finishing well in pax.

As for this weekends results. I drove poorly. Finished 8th. My co-driver 6th. The Brembo's made a very huge and noticeable difference braking :)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
ya need stiffer front spring imho
Hey John, silly spring question. Do RL stock springs fit the Ion sedan? If so, are they a drop compared to the stock ones?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
It's a 2.2 base Ion sedan. Someone is interested in my stock springs. If they lower the car more than his stock ride height, he might be interested. I'm sure they would improve the handling characteristics, right?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Thanks guys. I linked him to this thread so he can read and decide for himself.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Cat, how much r u selling the springs 4? Bigbrother and i always have thought i am not running stock springs ( i ride slightly lower that stock)

Thanks for the input, im still not set on exactly what to do. Any more specs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I think $75 is a good price for them. The got less than 8,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Nick - you no update your own thread mang!

Nick got a good deal on some used Progress springs, to go with his Progress RSB, and ordered up all brand new SS/TC struts and rear shocks.

'tis not perfect, but handles very, very nicely and MUCH better than before. Auto-x 2010 season opener January 17th (Vegas weather FTW), we'll see just how much better it is! :)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Nick - you no update your own thread mang!

Nick got a good deal on some used Progress springs, to go with his Progress RSB, and ordered up all brand new SS/TC struts and rear shocks.

'tis not perfect, but handles very, very nicely and MUCH better than before. Auto-x 2010 season opener January 17th (Vegas weather FTW), we'll see just how much better it is! :)
Over at the bullring by the track? Gimme times and such. I might come out for a ride or to marshal if you need someone.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yup. Same place, same time. :)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Yup. Same place, same time. :)
Don't forget that I've yet to join you all out there since you invited me last. Lol! I know where the bullring is. Is all this listed on the LVSCRA site? I have trouble navigating that site sometimes.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's getting overhauled right now, lol. Gate 2 off LVB. That's easy, eh? :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts