Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
To go with ss tc struts, can you use progress springs? Only pedders?
Also, to run the brembos, can you use the stock knuckles?
Where can I find ss tc struts and shocks, amd what about brembos? Wrecked tcs? any prices are very appreciatedm

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
gmpartsdirect.com has tc struts and shocks brand new, Nick can post the part numbers (I don't remember them). Not expensive either, I think he was out well under $400 for all of it.

You CAN use the TC shocks with any spring, lol. The Pedders just seem to work exceptionally well with them. I haven't driven a car on that combo yet, but I can attest that Nick's car with th Progress springs over the TC bits is a big step up from stock.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
To go with ss tc struts, can you use progress springs? Only pedders?
Also, to run the brembos, can you use the stock knuckles?
Where can I find ss tc struts and shocks, amd what about brembos? Wrecked tcs? any prices are very appreciatedm
You can use the stock knuckles with the Brembo's. You will need to remove 1.5mm from the mounting tab on the calipers(where the brakes interface the knuckle). This centers the caliper to the rotor. You will need the the Brembo rotors, if you did not know that already. Brake lines are interchangeable. You will need a 5mm spacer to clear the stock RL wheels.

The Brembo's can be found salvage. Thats how I got mine, but for almost the same price I could have got new.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You can use the stock knuckles with the Brembo's. You will need to remove 1.5mm from the mounting tab on the calipers(where the brakes interface the knuckle). This centers the caliper to the rotor. You will need the the Brembo rotors, if you did not know that already. Brake lines are interchangeable. You will need a 5mm spacer to clear the stock RL wheels.

The Brembo's can be found salvage. Thats how I got mine, but for almost the same price I could have got new.
10-4 on the wrecking yard, but they are not that much money brand new a very good deal. I am not sure how your car can be different but be careful: The LNF knuckle is thicker in the caliper mounting area than LSJ; as I always use LNF knuckles with this Brembo conversion I am not sure of your data but machining the caliper is not something to be done if you can avoid it. Stock RL brake hoses are too short for brembo's and stock RL wheels need NO spacers to clear. Look:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I guess thats the difference between the stock knuckle and the TC knuckle. The Brembo's do not clear the wheels on my car without the 5mm spacer. I have similar clearance as you, but with the 5mm spacer. I got the info for machining the caliper by comparing the UG math data between the fitment of the Brembo's and the oe RL knuckle. I agree with you on the machining. It is probably best for the average owner to go the TC knuckle route. I made a fixture at work to hold the caliper in a bridgeport table and took off exactly 1.5 mm.

I dig the color of your calipers! I want to repaint mine to, but haven't decided on color.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
i will look at knuckles monday but for sure what you have is what you have etc, the clearance you have is way more than me. The knuckle mounting boss on the LSJ is considerable thinner than the LNF which I would imagine logically would move your caliper outboard unless the wheel bearing flange point is machined differently. And for sure the brake hoses are an issue you have a way larger rotor diameter which puts the Brembo further outboard. We can use stock hoses even on a 311 BBK kit using the stock caliper...

Calipers? Powdercoat dont even think of VHT it is awful by comparison. A lot of work, dismantle calipers, plug bores sand blast powdercoat bake, clean bores reassemble etc...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
So to do a sstc brembo conversion with knuckles I'm lookin at like 1k for just fronts?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Maybe. 800 is what i paid last time for a pair of complete used assembled take off front corners including struts flca axles knuckles bearings calipers pads pins brake hoses etc etc

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
That's not bad at all, I'd like to get my suspension more complete, I need new struts anyway at nearly 70k they've needed them a while. Did you also do rear brembos or is it not worth it? 800 for the lh and rh front is what I gathered correct?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
yes. I did not do the rears yet. ran into a problem after dismantling the rears there are some not serviced seals in there. Found some seals that will work, but need to make a service tool to assemble (not sold seperately.) the rear caliper is 135 to now that i have powdercoa ted the sucker I had better figure a way to reassemble it, but it is not for the faint hearted...

Powdercoating leave everything together for the rear caliper and just mask it off is my advice

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
so had you not powdercoated you'd be fine?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
so had you not powdercoated you'd be fine?
NO. If i had NOT stripped the caliper down to remove all internal parts to prevent damage from sand blast and powdercoat I would have been fine. The caliper is not serviceable internally for the handbrake mechanism, anything other than main piston seal and you are screwed buy new....teach me to check first before stripping it down, but I was interested in the hand brake mechanism as folks seem to have rear brake issues so wanted to look... I did. Wish I didnt....:indiffere

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I thought there was an issue with the master cylinder - big enough to push our stock rears with the Brembo fronts but not big enough to push all 4 of the TC's calipers or something to that effect..?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I thought there was an issue with the master cylinder - big enough to push our stock rears with the Brembo fronts but not big enough to push all 4 of the TC's calipers or something to that effect..?
Not that I know of... I have zero issues with the m/cyl or anything for that matter in my set up, brake related. I just read of the scored rear rotors and/or no ebrake on TC LNF forums and went exploring....arrghhhh....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
update time !!

Ok, sorry i,ve been slacking. Over the past few months my suspension has been completley overhauled. I can not stress enough how much of a difference this has made. This car is on rails !!!The combination of the Cobalt TC shocks and struts, rotated mounts along with the progress springs and rear sway turns cornering into a face-melting experience. And the stance isn't too shabby either.

We also figured out why my ride was soo ass-happy in the past, my rears were completley blown! So bigbrother is off the hook for putting us into the dirt lol.

I'll post up after the 17th to let you all know what kind of times I put down at the next event. If I am within two seconds of Bigbrother im in good shape.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Ok, sorry i,ve been slacking. Over the past few months my suspension has been completley overhauled. I can not stress enough how much of a difference this has made. This car is on rails !!!The combination of the Cobalt TC shocks and struts, rotated mounts along with the progress springs and rear sway turns cornering into a face-melting experience. And the stance isn't too shabby either.

We also figured out why my ride was soo ass-happy in the past, my rears were completley blown! So bigbrother is off the hook for putting us into the dirt lol.

I'll post up after the 17th to let you all know what kind of times I put down at the next event. If I am within two seconds of Bigbrother im in good shape.
What am I? Chopped liver? You never sez nuttin' to me about this suspension upgrade!!! I'm gonna hafta got to the event to see this now......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
whoopsy

What am I? Chopped liver? You never sez nuttin' to me about this suspension upgrade!!! I'm gonna hafta got to the event to see this now......
My bad Cat, allthough to be fair i did try calling you late one night a few weeks ago, we copuldnt figure out which way the rear springs were supposed to go.lol You were instrumental in the evolution of the RL....4 that i thank u. Barring some miracle free LSD transmission install i am done modding for now....except fot the comp pack boost gauge/ladder tach I just scooped up!

As for comming out to the next event, do it, and bring something to drive ! There is a trailblazer that has been showing up, maybe they'll let u run ur new ride ? U got a vue right?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You will never be within 2 seconds of me! Muhahahaha! :evil:

Dude - you have improved so much since your first event, I am lovin' watching you get better and better each event!

When are we putting that guage in, btw? The man-cave awaits the return of the silver IRL!

And for the record - I can't say definitively that they were "blown", but something wasn't right with 'em... We could compress them fully by hand and they took 5 minutes to return to normal length, lol. Didn't take much effort to squish 'em, either. Also suspect was that your car sat so low on uncut stock springs. Didn't "bouce" like it had bad shocks though. :???: Whatever it was, that was the tail-happiest FWD car ever before, and now she sticks like glue, so whatever it was it's better now, lol!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Oh - you know Kira's 21st birthday is the 16th, right? If ever you were going to beat me, your chance will be when I'm sleep deprived and hung over, LMAO!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts