Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody noticed their car idling poorly with the air on, almost to a stall condition. We recently installed a short stack intake but it was doing this before, but not as bad. We thought maybe the computer would have to self adjust to the different map readings. Anybody else having this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
When the air is on, the idle bounces between 500 and 1200 rpm. It never evens out. It has yet to stall, but Im sure thats in the near future with the way it is running.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
z28wannab said:
Has anybody noticed their car idling poorly with the air on, almost to a stall condition. We recently installed a short stack intake but it was doing this before, but not as bad. We thought maybe the computer would have to self adjust to the different map readings. Anybody else having this problem.
JimLewis and SatredL were having some issues with idle after a short ram, didn't think it was the short ram, but maybe this is person #3? Mine idles just a little rougher, much less noticeable than in my old SC2. Where are you at, is the weather quite hot out?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Sp00ner said:
JimLewis and SatredL were having some issues with idle after a short ram, didn't think it was the short ram, but maybe this is person #3? Mine idles just a little rougher, much less noticeable than in my old SC2. Where are you at, is the weather quite hot out?
We are in freaking hot Mesa, Arizona! I know 4-bangers have never been good with A/C, as in when the condensor kicks on, you would feel the engine die alittle, but it cant sit there and just idle for alittle bit, it fluctuates quite a bit. It did it before I put the short ram on, but it seems to have gotten a little worse. I am thinking that it could be sucking hot air right off the tranny when Im not moving. Does anyone make a heat shield that could dissipate the heat alittle, so its not all going in the engine? Or is that stupid?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Go join in their thread about it, Jim has more years experience fixing cars than I've been alive, so I'd refer questions to him and SatredL at this point. Mine has NO problems with it at all. You can feel it shaking a TINY bit with the air on, and that's it. RPM don't bounce much, if any, more than normal.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
mine stays at about 1000

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Well, it officially stalled today. I wrote that post no more than 6 hours ago saying that a stall was in the future, and on break today, it stalled!!! I didnt foresee the stall that close in time! I was talking in like a week or so! It did not bring up any lights after I restarted the car. Im not a big fan of taking the car to the shop cuz one; its 50 miles away, two; last time they had it, it took 7 days to fix, three; they will blame the AEM and void my warranty. I was just hoping this was normal! Dammit....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
They will not void your warranty. If it's something like the MAF, and you had to remove and reinstall it for the intake, then you're gonna get charged. I can totally understand that too. Hmmm... interesting. You and Jim are both in VERY hot places, and the temps were in the 90's here when SatredL was having issues as well.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Sp00ner said:
They will not void your warranty. If it's something like the MAF, and you had to remove and reinstall it for the intake, then you're gonna get charged. I can totally understand that too. Hmmm... interesting. You and Jim are both in VERY hot places, and the temps were in the 90's here when SatredL was having issues as well.
Ill send Jim a PM pretty soon if he hasnt read the thread by then. Thanks for referring him.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In Mesa too...and I notice the same thing...pisses me off....not heat friendly car i guess :( And on worse news I was driving on Higley Rd (for those in mesa) and its all tore up and some rocks from the car ahead of me came crashing and hit my hood and the paint is all pitted/chipped now...paint didnt take much....fucking gay.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
AZKMK said:
In Mesa too...and I notice the same thing...pisses me off....not heat friendly car i guess :( And on worse news I was driving on Higley Rd (for those in mesa) and its all tore up and some rocks from the car ahead of me came crashing and hit my hood and the paint is all pitted/chipped now...paint didnt take much....fucking gay.
I live on Higley and Southern!! How weird that I've never seen you. Where you at?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
AZKMK said:
ValVista and Baseline.
Well now that I know that there is another Redline around town, Ill have to start looking for you. Although I did see one that was black (I think) driving down Alma School south of Warner. But Ill keep the eyes peeled. Just look for the blue car stalled in the middle of the intersection!

·
Registered
296 Posts
FWIW, I've kept the stock airbox but swapped to a K&N filter. I've no issues with A/C at idle... stays right at ~800 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
its been doing that to me when the a/c is on with idle......even before i put my short ram on, so i dont think its the intake thats causing it.
Exactly, mine did it before the intake install too, but the intake didnt seem to help as i kinda got worse. I guess Ill have to take it in.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i havent given it a chance to idle yet with just the intake, as i installed the intake 2 days ago.

i usually sit in my car on breaks at work with the a/c on max (my work is usually at least 115 degrees, its horrible) and let it idle, so ill notice it then next week.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts