Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that no one makes any high performance struts or shocks for the Redline -- I've searched far and wide. But, recently, I stumbled across Ellis Engineering in Charlotte, NC -- http://www.sellisengineering.com/home.html -- and they manufacture any kind of struts and shocks you might want (plus a whole line of suspension components -- like camber plates, swaybar mounts, and anything else you might want because they'll custom-build whatever you need).

Their customers are racers -- drag racers, NASCAR racers, Sprint Car racers, SCCA road racing racers, Autocross racers..., you get the point. They can build high performance struts and shocks -- and single or double adjustable struts and shocks -- in any size or length, with any valving, even different ratios of adjustability. And their prices for basic high performance struts and shocks are not out of line -- about the same or a little less than Koni's for example ('if' Koni made struts and shocks for Redlines).

Just thought I'd share...
Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad Experience?

Have you already had a bad experience with these guys? When? How long ago? What, exactly, was involved?

Do you know of any alternatives?

Thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
487 Posts
I haven't personally, I know alot of TSN and SaturnSpeed guys did, waiting for months and months for their orders to show up and they never did

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad Experience?

Hm-m-m-m-m. I wonder what they were ordering? It sucks, but these guys seem to be the only place that even 'talks' about struts or shocks for our vehicle. I've even written to Ohlins and Koni asking for custom struts or shocks -- and I've heard nothing.

This presents a problem. Do you suppose you could ask any of those guys what they were ordering, did they ever take delivery, those kinds of questions?

I'm planning to compete in D Stock in the SCCA National Tour event in Houston in May -- so my time's kind of short...

Thanks in advance.
Scott

·
Registered
559 Posts
haunter said:
I haven't personally, I know alot of TSN and SaturnSpeed guys did, waiting for months and months for their orders to show up and they never did
That's because it's mostly for S-series cars...a vehicle that isn't even made anymore. Lol. They are not going to invest all that time and money in a dated/extinct chassis. I bet they would jump all over the chance to toy with this delta chassis, being as popular as it is. Anybody send word to them yet?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Ellis Engineering, the same Steve Ellis that was once over Carrera. Avoid at all costs, another crooked bastard like SCdyne.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
look at gravana.com in the ion section they have adjustable and non adjustable strut and spring sets

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gravana

jmuffe01 said:
look at gravana.com in the ion section they have adjustable and non adjustable strut and spring sets
I'd really like for this to be true, but when I go to their site, all I see are coil-overs, drop-springs, and swaybars -- no struts or shocks.

Perhaps I'm looking the wrong place?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
scottherbert said:
I'd really like for this to be true, but when I go to their site, all I see are coil-overs, drop-springs, and swaybars -- no struts or shocks.

Perhaps I'm looking the wrong place?

Thanks,
Scott

no your right. they dont have any plain old shocks for us... just the coil overs, and drop springs.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
scottherbert said:
I'm planning to compete in D Stock in the SCCA National Tour event in Houston in May -- so my time's kind of short...

Thanks in advance.
Scott

if you are planning to compete in D-stock then why are you looking for struts and shocks?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Legal in D Stock

my_bd said:
if you are planning to compete in D-stock then why are you looking for struts and shocks?
You can use any struts or shocks in Stock classes -- which is why so many SCCA stock class cars are running adjustable Konis (providing they're the same length and have no more 2 adjustment points -- like rebound and compression). You can't touch the springs, you can't add 'spring rubbers' -- ala NASCAR, can't change or modify the swaybars, can't replace the steering knuckles, or other suspension components, you can't switch to non-stock rubber suspension components, and you can't add strut braces, traction bars, etc. The SCCA rules are pretty limiting.

I was hoping to upgrade the struts/shocks to get a little stiffer response, keep the think more level during the corners -- to take most advantage of the 2 degrees of negative camber I run.

For the earlier two comments -- those are both coilovers -- which means neither is legal on an SCCA Stock class car -- really cool, but not legal.

Scott

·
Registered
487 Posts
Street Dreamz said:
That's because it's mostly for S-series cars...a vehicle that isn't even made anymore. Lol. They are not going to invest all that time and money in a dated/extinct chassis. I bet they would jump all over the chance to toy with this delta chassis, being as popular as it is. Anybody send word to them yet?

so? last time I checked, the best business model is: when someone pays you for something you deliever it

The ion is not far from being not made anymore, so then hes just as likely ot then ignore you when you order

·
Registered
271 Posts
haunter said:
so? last time I checked, the best business model is: when someone pays you for something you deliever it

The ion is not far from being not made anymore, so then hes just as likely ot then ignore you when you order
tell him you drive a cobalt and you'll be set.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
xfloggingkylex said:
tell him you drive a cobalt and you'll be set.

Wait a sec, I thought our top plate (with the rubber ring) wouldn't bolt up to the cobalt strut because of the three bolt vs. one bolt issue?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cobalt Koni Adjustables

alredline04 said:
is there any possibly way this could work?. I know the Cobalt are different with the 3 bolt upper mount. These are inserts. Are they adjustable from the top like most others I have seen? if so then these would not work. I cant find an acual picture of the product.

http://www.cobaltperformanceparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=311&zenid=1e6d593865f84c472c34a812ca992ab0
Based on your comments, I contacted a local SCCA pal who gave me the name of a competition POC at Koni (there are a number of very serious, national-level competitors in the Rockys -- it's a tough place to run a DS Redline) -- anyway, I emailed the Koni guy yesterday. He tells me that the rear shocks might work (keeping in mind that the SCCA rules allow + or - 1" on the length) but he's pretty sure that the cartridge kit they have for the Cobalt only comes with the Cobalt 3-bolt top plate.

He's traveling so I'm supposed to 'ping' him again after the 1st of March. He'll get with the engineering staff and see if something can be done to make Cobalt the strut kit work for a Redline. I'll post here when I get his answer. They might also be able to make a 'custom solution' at a reasonable price for the struts. It's SCCA legal to 'bore out' a strut mount to accept a larger strut shaft diameter so long as it's + or - 1" in length.

Thanks for the lead,
Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts