Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in the midst of replacing my ignition switch for the fourth time. I thought I'd do a write up and hopefully a mod can sticky it.

Ignition Switch:

there are 3 7mm screws that hold the bottom of the steering column trim together. remove those and the bottom two trim pieces of steering column trim split apart.

unplug the green connector on the ignition switch. it's at the other end of the lock cylinder from the key. there are two T15 torx screws that hold the switch in place. you will most likely need a T15 torx bit (not a socket) and a low profile ratchet.

insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON to release the switch from the cylinder.

install is the reverse.

Passlock Relearn:

Attempt to start the car. Leave the key in the ON position. the passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

wait 10 minutes. the passlock light will stop blinking and go out.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

Attempt to start the car. Leave the key in the ON position. the passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

Attempt to start the car. if you have done things right, the car should start and you are good to go!

·
Registered
920 Posts
NICE - I've done this once already, but it's nice to see a refresher since I'm convinced it will need to be done again before I end up getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno. the first time i did it seemed to last a while. second time lasted like a year. third time like 6 months.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uh...it looks just like the one you're replacing it with, only it's attached to the back of the ignition lock cylinder. trust me, if you take the bottom column cover off and look, you can't miss it.

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
uh...it looks just like the one you're replacing it with, only it's attached to the back of the ignition lock cylinder. trust me, if you take the bottom column cover off and look, you can't miss it.
lol *facepalm. didnt think of that..im a chicken running around w its head off..this has to happen on Valentines Day night...lol

many thanks

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
lolz... no harm done. I did this once last year and it has been great so far

good write up GC.. i wish someone had told me about the passlock relearn thing before i tried it and didn't have a working car for 3 days....

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
omg the area for the T15 is hilarious...uhm...wtf.lol
yeah, that's why i said a t15 bit (not socket) and a low profile ratchet are basically neccessary.

i just put those little screws back in finger tight using the bit without the ratchet "just in case" i ever had to do it again.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmmmm...did you twist the end of the switch before you tried to install it?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you can't get the old one back in make absolutely sure the key is still in the ON position.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
was it white and cyllindrical?

·
Registered
120 Posts
When doing the passlock relearn. Do you have to push in clutch every cycle?? i thought i had read in a prev thread that on 5 speeds we had to push in the clutch every cycle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts