Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
you should only have to push in the clutch when trying to start the car, and yes, every cycle. the car will not recognize that you are trying to start the car unless the clutch is pressed in which throws a switch

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yes, push the clutch pedal. that's why i said "Attempt to start the car." you have to push the clutch pedal to start the car, right?

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
yes, push the clutch pedal. that's why i said "Attempt to start the car." you have to push the clutch pedal to start the car, right?
I just look at my car and say start and it starts..

was it white and cyllindrical?
no sir, long and thin..idk wtf it is

When doing the passlock relearn. Do you have to push in clutch every cycle?? i thought i had read in a prev thread that on 5 speeds we had to push in the clutch every cycle.
yes, with our 5 speeds we have to because we use a clutch. they don't :indiffere

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
can you post a pic of the thing that you pulled out? i'm curious.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Im not getting a message on the dash but it seems I have the same issues here. Before I put the car away for the winter it was starting intermittently so I changed the ignition switch. Now I try to start the car and get nothing (didnt know about the passlock). Tried the passlock once yesterday and it didnt take I guess (still wont start, probably did it wrong). Ive got power in the car and to everything else except the engine. Could this also be a starter issue? Ill have to try the passlock again next time im not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
sounds like a starter. mine had a dead spot and would start and then not start randomly. a good tap on the solenoid with someone cranking the car got her started so i could get home and replace it. then i was able to duplicate the problem on the bench with a jump pack.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im not getting a message on the dash but it seems I have the same issues here. Before I put the car away for the winter it was starting intermittently so I changed the ignition switch. Now I try to start the car and get nothing (didnt know about the passlock). Tried the passlock once yesterday and it didnt take I guess (still wont start, probably did it wrong). Ive got power in the car and to everything else except the engine. Could this also be a starter issue? Ill have to try the passlock again next time im not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your Ion. Have you thought about talking with your dealership about this concern at all? If you wouldn’t mind keeping me updated on your progress, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Not that I dont like dealerships but I see that as a last resort. Ill figure it out eventually.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Hi all. Been a while since I've been on here, miss u all.

Ok, the car has been sitting since early spring. I got my emissions test notice, so went to drive the car and the damn key got stuck in the on/run position. Second time this happened. So I got a new ignition lock cyl, (again) and installed it.

Problem is now the passlock wont let the car start, the passlock icon is lit and had a service vehicle message.

I tried the relearn proceedure and it didnt take, it icon wont flash or turn off, just stays lit :(

I disconnected the battery and cleared all codes and tried over and over grr

Anyone have any good advice?

Thx

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
you might need to start over with a new switch too.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Watts Up nice you came back...Eric has been missing you lol........you cant change the lock cylinder without replacing the black colored switch at the end it automatically breaks when you change the lock cylinder, for anti theft duh, iirc, Golden Chicken to confirm

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i don't know for sure as i haven't changed a lock cylinder in an ion yet. however, i have done one in a cobalt and the switch did not need to be replaced, but it did have to do a passlock relearn because of the new key that came with the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
the last time i did the lock cylinder change on my Ion, ( I have changed the ps column a few hundered times trying to stop from it failing on the track and me crashing, which has happened -failing- but not crashing - i knew what was happening) I had to change the lower black switch coz it breaks when you remove it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I get the passlock symbol and the service vehicle message intermittently but have never had a problem with the car starting or getting the key in/out of the ignition.

Wondering if the kid that had the car before me tapped into one of the ignition wires to hook up his nitrous kit....Happens every other time I start the car for a couple weeks then goes away for a couple months, comes back, goes away etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I'm in the midst of replacing my ignition switch for the fourth time. I thought I'd do a write up and hopefully a mod can sticky it.

Ignition Switch:

there are 3 7mm screws that hold the bottom of the steering column trim together. remove those and the bottom two trim pieces of steering column trim split apart.

unplug the green connector on the ignition switch. it's at the other end of the lock cylinder from the key. there are two T15 torx screws that hold the switch in place. you will most likely need a T15 torx bit (not a socket) and a low profile ratchet.

insert the key into the ignition and turn to ON to release the switch from the cylinder.

install is the reverse.

Passlock Relearn:

Attempt to start the car. Leave the key in the ON position. the passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

wait 10 minutes. the passlock light will stop blinking and go out.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

Attempt to start the car. Leave the key in the ON position. the passlock light and "SERVICE VEHICLE" message should begin to blink.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

shut off the ignition.

wait 5 seconds.

Attempt to start the car. if you have done things right, the car should start and you are good to go!
I replaced switch on 2007 saturn ion3 went through the relearn several times with no luck

21 - 39 of 39 Posts