Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All~ Have any of you had a problem with the engine itself? I am not going to do a self diagnostic on this one, but seriously, I just finished work today, it is a Friday, and hell, just to throw it in there, my birthday is on Sunday...now get this...all is well, but 1st gear sounds a little funny, but as soon as I shift into 2nd, "blog blog blog blog" the engine sounds like it is about to die, and let me tell you, the exaust made it sound loud. I almost seemed like a problem with the spark plugs, because I had a different Saturn that would do that whenever I needed to change them. It would also only "lag" when I was accelerating and hell, even the SES came on...multiple times. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I drove it straight from work to the dealership...I hope to hear back from them soon, and believe me, I hope it was just the spark plugs... pray for me!! and oh yea...Vita, I hope you are still able to hold onto one of those CAI for me!

:rolleyes:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Have you had the Cam Sensor work done?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
RobertsJR said:
All~ Have any of you had a problem with the engine itself? I am not going to do a self diagnostic on this one, but seriously, I just finished work today, it is a Friday, and hell, just to throw it in there, my birthday is on Sunday...now get this...all is well, but 1st gear sounds a little funny, but as soon as I shift into 2nd, "blog blog blog blog" the engine sounds like it is about to die, and let me tell you, the exaust made it sound loud. I almost seemed like a problem with the spark plugs, because I had a different Saturn that would do that whenever I needed to change them. It would also only "lag" when I was accelerating and hell, even the SES came on...multiple times. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I drove it straight from work to the dealership...I hope to hear back from them soon, and believe me, I hope it was just the spark plugs... pray for me!! and oh yea...Vita, I hope you are still able to hold onto one of those CAI for me!

:rolleyes:
post it in the thread, i probobly will, but i've been having to delete my pms. hopefully i can scratch up enough to buy about 10 extra

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
By saying the SES light came on several times, do you mean it was intermittent or it was flashing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sp00ner said:
Have you had the Cam Sensor work done?

yeah, already had that done, and since then until now, it has been running great!....I just want to get that phone call so I can figure out what the hell is wrong with it...it's almost like my exaust had a booger in it....no breathing what so every...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JPK said:
By saying the SES light came on several times, do you mean it was intermittent or it was flashing?
it would come on when I accelerated and then it would turn off when I was at crusing speed...and then I would accelerate again and "shazam" there it is.

·
Registered
617 Posts
how many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you still have the stock airbox, and maybe replaced the stock air filter with a K&N or other performance filter, double check to see that the filter has not come loose off the top airbox flange connection.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Man It almost sounds like your cat. converter in pluged like mine was. My ses light would flash to. When they took mine off I got to look in it. It looked like a bag a carcoal. I have had two pluged on mine since I had all the trouble with my cam sensor. With the cam sensor screwed up the engine was running to rich. One problem causing a chain of damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just picked my car up from the dealer, just for fyi on the post before, I have 1900 miles on the car, still brand new. I found out that it was some sort of "safety feature" where, for instance, if you sit there and push in the gas when you are starting the car, it will turn one cyliner off. I didn't do that, and it doesn't sound like much of a safety feature since it turns the cylinder off, but still lets you drive the car. All they said they did was start it up and it ran fine, but it had logged that it had multiple misfires for the code. This sounded like the low power mode, but I didn't have any other problems, other than the misfiring engine. So, to sum it up, it sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me, but the car is running fine now/again...and oh yeah, unfortunately I am in Cali, so I can't get the 93 octain, but I always use the 91. Has anyone tried using the 110 octane? *it is the off-roading* fuel? I have a buddy that will use it every once in a while with his turbo-charged audi tt (~300 hp) with the stock engine.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I presume you/they are talking about either the rev limiter ?or your traction control? I highly doubt that was your issue, but...

New Ecotecs with low miles such as yours are sometimes prone to have the intake valves sticking open and not closing. This can cause intermittent misfires such as you experienced (very likely P0300 series DTCs set) or even a temporary no start condition. This is usually caused by a combination of very tight tolerances in the valve guide (when new it's .0012") and certain fuel deposits collecting on the valve stem- usually from fuel additives either added manually or part of the retail fuel blend.

Have you recently added any fuel "conditioner" or refueled at some place other than your ususal?

I usually recommend either a full tank of "high test" like Sunoco Ultra 94 or Chevron Supreme 94. Others have reported success using a fuel with a 10% ethanol composition, but I'm not a fan of those fuels for constant use as I've seen what higher concentrations of alcohol does to fuel pumps and injectors.

NEVER exceed the recommended concentrations for fuel additives or treatments, and when you can, buy your fuel from the 'busier' more mainstream oil company stations in your area. Some people wont buy salmon from the trunk of a car, but they'll drive into seedier areas to purchase cheap fuel at a "Gaz Fo Lez" from a derelict station with boarded up windows and spray painted signage. :rolleyes:

JMO
WOT

·
Registered
258 Posts
RobertsJR said:
Well, I just picked my car up from the dealer, just for fyi on the post before, I have 1900 miles on the car, still brand new. I found out that it was some sort of "safety feature" where, for instance, if you sit there and push in the gas when you are starting the car, it will turn one cyliner off. I didn't do that, and it doesn't sound like much of a safety feature since it turns the cylinder off, but still lets you drive the car. All they said they did was start it up and it ran fine, but it had logged that it had multiple misfires for the code. This sounded like the low power mode, but I didn't have any other problems, other than the misfiring engine. So, to sum it up, it sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me, but the car is running fine now/again...and oh yeah, unfortunately I am in Cali, so I can't get the 93 octain, but I always use the 91. Has anyone tried using the 110 octane? *it is the off-roading* fuel? I have a buddy that will use it every once in a while with his turbo-charged audi tt (~300 hp) with the stock engine.
Had the same problem with 200 miles on mine. If I am correct, the SES you are referring to looks like an engine block with a down arrow running through it on the right side of the gauges. If so, you were put in safety or "limp" mode by the ECU. Car pukes and seems to be running on 3 cylinders. After 2 reprograms, they put a new ECU in mine. Hasn't happened since. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
SSEi said:
Do Redlines need Premium fuel? Dealer told me they did not...not that it means he's right...
It can run on 87 Octane, but, you will be faster if you run 93 Octane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey.
I'm brand new here, but I've had my redline for about 5 months now. I had problems about a month and a half after I bought the car that sounds about the same as what you're experiencing.

Taking the car to the dealer, they said that I needed new plugs and replaced 'em. It's been running fine since then, although I still haven't had my camshaft sensor work done. I have an appointment for this friday though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts