Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about it. They've taken the tranny apart and put it back together. And didn't even do it right considering on their test drive there was no 4th gear. :rolleyes:

Now they want a second shot at it?

I didn't buy a brand new car to have a rebuilt transmission on it. I was just pissed when I got off the phone with them and not really in my right state of mind. Now that I've had time to think about it, this would be the only satisfactory option.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, **** it guys. I'm gonna demand a new car.

I just get a bad vibe about this one. Either give me a new one or I get a lawyer and we try to settle it then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most states have lemon laws regarding cars - to qualify it is different per state, but it depends on how many days it spends in a shop and whether the same problem keeps recurring.

Getting a lawyer is quite expensive, if you go that route, and arbitration occurs, and you "win", you will only get back the current depreciated value of the car, meaning you could be upside down in the loan.

Your best bet, IMO, is the replacement transmission, which is what most dealers want to do int he first place as it's so much faster and easier to bolt on a new trannie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Within 30 days/1500 miles - get replacement
Outside of that timeframe - let warranty work do it's magic and read up on lemon law.

·
Registered
293 Posts
garland said:
Outside of that timeframe - let warranty work do it's magic and read up on lemon law.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, the dealer would NOT give me another car. I fought them on it for a while. Then, I tried to get a new tranny out of the deal but they said that in order to even get a tranny for warranty work they'd have to have engineers come in and verify that it, indeed, needs a new one. :rolleyes:

They assured me that the tranny was good and just a wrong size crush seal was keeping the stick from being able to go into 4th gear. I told them I was still weary about the whole thing and if they were insisting on puting that same tranny in that I wanted an extended warranty on the drivetran FREE of CHARGE. They called Saturn Corporate and now it has to go through all the red tape. He said he didn't see a problem with it and I'd more than likely get a 75K to 100K drivetran warranty. That would make me feel a little better about the whole thing, I guess. :eek:

I knew they probably would not give me a new car but figured they would at least get a new tranny for it. Jeeeeez...........................

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
garland said:

Looks like I have no other choice. :mad:

·
Registered
293 Posts
JPK said:
Dang, the dealer would NOT give me another car. I fought them on it for a while. Then, I tried to get a new tranny out of the deal but they said that in order to even get a tranny for warranty work they'd have to have engineers come in and verify that it, indeed, needs a new one. :rolleyes:

They assured me that the tranny was good and just a wrong size crush seal was keeping the stick from being able to go into 4th gear. I told them I was still weary about the whole thing and if they were insisting on puting that same tranny in that I wanted an extended warranty on the drivetran FREE of CHARGE. They called Saturn Corporate and now it has to go through all the red tape. He said he didn't see a problem with it and I'd more than likely get a 75K to 100K drivetran warranty. That would make me feel a little better about the whole thing, I guess. :eek:

I knew they probably would not give me a new car but figured they would at least get a new tranny for it. Jeeeeez...........................
Welcome to the world of GM service. I kinda hoped Saturn wouldn't be as bad as Chevy, but apparently it is. Just keep fighting the good fight and document everything.

My T-56 has already been rebuilt 3 times. :eek: 3rd time's the charm, though. It's solid now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
linenoyz, just send the Tremec T56 to liberty gears in taylor MI and have that baby proshifted, if you damage it ill be very surprised, many of them handling 600-800 hp to the tire, if you dont mind a little bit of trouble downshifting, and gm's service is good on parts that they make, since the ion redline uses a saab tranny they have to inspect it first, and since tremec builds the t56 they have to fix it, unlike motors. dealers will yank engines out in a heartbeat, i know of a dealer with 3 LS1's just sitting collecting dust that gm ok'd to warranty even though there is noting wrong with them, they have a tick in the valve train, its just excessive rocker arm bearing clearance, and i would be happy to fix it for them if i got a spare for the blazer for free, but instead gm is gonna basically destroy a perfectly good engine, cause they make it, its not outsourced, and at least gm doesnt try to void your warranty, most of the time, like ford does, ford even tries to void it if you dont use motorcraft 5w20 synthetic oil in the new cars, which they cant do unless they provide oil for free under the duration of the warranty period, anyways, long enough reply, im done

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should have not bought the 1st year model. Also it is a saturn. I didn't buy an 03 srt-4 b/c first year cars always have problems. So I waited an bought an 04 and have had no problems besides the ac problem. I have seen so many problems with the ac on srt-4's going out. I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall. Mine was due to massive wheelhop.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eddie said:
damn, hopefully all goes well, mostlikely if u try to get the lsd they'll say buh bye to that extended warranty.

Well, I talked to the Service Dept. Manager there today about tuning the cars. He said the warranty would remain as long as you used GM approved parts. Seeing how they are putting the LSD on the RL comp edition, I'd say that would be considered and "approved" part. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
sweet get that biotch in then. break her in then go get some track times. do it. and tell them to give u a g6 rental or a cts rental or something damn.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, gonna get my car back this evening. The best they would give me is a 5 yr. 60K drivetran warranty. I'm tired of fighting them and just want my car back at this point.

I guess it still worked out better than a new tranny because a new tranny would only be warrantied to 36K and now mine is warrantied until 60K.

Anyway........can't wait to drive my baby again!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts