Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the sound of the SRT-4

can the exhaust on a redline be modified to sound similar?
or is there much more to it than just changing exhaust?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You're not going to get your car to sound like a SRT4. For one, the two engines have different displacement. Second of all, one is S/C'ed and one is turbo. I guess if you wanted no muffler at all, you could maybe achieve something similar, I wouldn't reccoment it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The main reason the SRT4 sounds the way it does is because there are no mufflers. They just have straight pipes coming from the cat (correct SRT owners?). If you look under their cars, you'll just see the piping with no mufflers. This is why they're louder and have a more rumbly exhaust note.

·
Registered
710 Posts
A pissed-off man-eating lion, that's what I think it would sound like.

·
Registered
86 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
cat(s), resonators, but no muffler I wonder if we ran no muffler what it would sound like?
i had a friend with an sc2 with no muffler and it was horrible.we told him he couldn't go any where with us till he got a muffler.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Would it make much of a difference if you had a Folgers can exhaust kit versus a Sanka can exhaust kit? :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
jpapa said:
The main reason the SRT4 sounds the way it does is because there are no mufflers. They just have straight pipes coming from the cat (correct SRT owners?). If you look under their cars, you'll just see the piping with no mufflers. This is why they're louder and have a more rumbly exhaust note.
Our cars sound the way they do because of the extra fuel being dumped to keep the motor cool when you buy a stage upgraded the car burbles and pops alot more due to the tuning of the ecu. You just hear it alot better with no muffler. I have experimented with diffrent exhaust on mine and it always has its own sound.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what was the end result of your experiments?

did you go back to stock?

or did you find something that sounds raunchier?
anything like an SRT-4 sound?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
redlineRACER said:
so changing our exahust system to sumthin similar to the srt-4 wouldnt sound good?...
what you think sounds good is totally subjective, if you like that sound, then it will, though i personally don't, i'd prefer more of a "tuned" sound than simply eliminating mufflers for the raspy growl.

one car that i really love the exhaust note on would be the infinity SUV, i think the murano, a guy in my parking structure at work has one, and every time i hear him drive by i almost drool at the sound of it

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you run an RL with no muffler it will be LOUD. THe Grand-Am Cup Cobalts have a strait pipe system and it is almost ear bleeding loud. The SRT's turbo helps muffle the exhaust noise on their cars, the only thing Rl's have after the head to cut sound is the cat, resonator, and muffler. If you remove any of those, it will probably not be street legal sound-wise (that's 93db in CA, I don't know about everywhere else).

·
Registered
89 Posts
i want an evo sound, sounds like half a big block chevy with crazy cams

1 - 20 of 28 Posts