Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I don't mean to start any rumors here or anything but I've been speaking with three Saturn techs from two different dealerships in my area over the past couple days about the Quaife differential and it appears there will be no support for the owners of 2004 Redlines.
From what I was told they said that they would install the differential but the installation would void the power-train warranty because it is considered an aftermarket product regardless if its included in the 2005 Redlines. The installation would be approximately $1700 and take around 12 to 14 hours. Also it was recommended--even by a non-saturn tech--that the stock clutch be upgraded as well, which makes sense if you think about it. The installation of the clutch would only be around $40 or so but I am not aware of any aftermarket clutches for our cars.
If my information is wrong please chime in but the techs in my area are pretty decent and they took the time to do some research and find out all that they could about this upgrade.
Well, I look forward to comments from others who have spoken to their dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yes its expensive but you can find a shop to do it for way cheaper than that. Also it will not void the warranty unless it is the reason something breaks. But a differential like that one will in esence strengthen the axels by spliting the load. But something may happen. Im at my dealer just to BS a lot and according the to service dept it wont void the powertrain warranty just the open differential your pulling out.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I guess it depends on your Dealer.

I was told that GM "approved" aftermarket parts would not void the warranty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Unless the new '05's are coming with an upgraded clutch, there is no need to replace it with a new one. Replacing the open diff with a quaife will not void your power train warrenty, at best it could only void the tranny itself. Which by all means would almost be indestructable with the quaife. Also, try and have a dealer argue that they are voiding a warrenty due to a part that is in the new models. Any moron with two brain cells could see that the dealer is just trying to rape you.

Tuning always comes with the possibilties of problems, but there are laws that protect people. Knowledge is your best defense. I might actually get the quaife because I love it in my SC2. Since I don't have time to drop it in myself I'll have a lead tech at a Satty dealer do it for me. Shouldn't be too much, thank God for friends...

Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goofyguy, how sure are you that the installation of the new LSD won't void the power-train warranty? I am asking you this because the techs I spoke with specifically stated the once the new LSD was installed the warranty would be voided, not just on the open-differential being removed but also on the limited-slip being installed. Is there a way of getting this in writing from Saturn?
Also, even if the installation didn't void the warranty, wouldn't it do so if you had it done at a non-Saturn shop?

Personally, I am not too concerned about the warranty issue since I probably won't get the LSD until the end of next year. Currently, I am in the process of purchasing the Koni coil-over kit from SMS which I should be getting as soon as they get a replacement core back from Koni. It's going to take me a little while to recover from this purchase and a few other things I am looking to buy. I'm just trying to understand what's going on so that I know where I stand with my dealership and everyone else interested in such an upgrade has an idea what they're getting themselves into.
Does anyone know of any upgrade clutches for the Redline?

·
Registered
524 Posts
palahniuk said:
Could you be a bigger ASS???
My comment wasn't directed at you. Seriously, people take things on the internet way out of context. My comment was referring to people in authority if the dealer tried screwing you over, such as: judges, state attorney's, etc...

Tom

I just re-read my post, I can see where you thought it was directed at you. But it wasn't, please read my explanation...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
pretty damn sure

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
My comment wasn't directed at you. Seriously, people take things on the internet way out of context. My comment was referring to people in authority if the dealer tried screwing you over, such as: judges, state attorney's, etc...

Tom

I just re-read my post, I can see where you thought it was directed at you. But it wasn't, please read my explanation...
Not all attorneys are trying to "screw you over" =)

·
Registered
524 Posts
shaneathan said:
Not all attorneys are trying to "screw you over" =)
That never came out of my mouth either :rolleyes: Hahaha, oh well. All lawyers are evil (laughing because I'm going to link this to my attorney friend)

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts