Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the price for the cold air is like what 150 and the in box k&N is like 50 , is it worth it to get the in box filter at all????

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would stick w/ the CAI, I mean the in box filter is far better than the stock filter, but if u want performance gains go w/ the CAI

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will i still get performance gains with the K&N in box?? but i know it wont be as much as the cold air also would it be worth it for getting the in box K&N and then like 3 - 4 maybe more moths later get the cold air????

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you'll get slight gains using the drop-in filter, but you'll see equivilent gains to a cold air by using a filter that takes up less space in the airbox. that's what PSI does, and what i'm doing now. i've run short ram, K&N cold air, and now i'm back to stock, happily...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what exactly did you just mean there that stock is better or what im kinda con fused on that part about the small filter??

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
yes, i believe stock is better, heatsoak is not an issue (you wouldn't think a "cold air" intake would get so warm after a few runs at the track).

for example, i'm using this filter to create more space in the factory airbox, utilizing the surface area of the filter better, keeping it out of the heat, and still gaining power from a freeer flowing filter

you can compare the drop in to the universal ones to pick one you like

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the other thing is with the stock housing as it is you suck in the smoke from the tires if you burn them right?? so then did you like reform some intake hose to move that or did you leave it like it was?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
pclear9061 said:
the other thing is with the stock housing as it is you suck in the smoke from the tires if you burn them right?? so then did you like reform some intake hose to move that or did you leave it like it was?
i've got something up my sleeve, but for now it's not a concern, you'll do it stock, or with the K&N, but i'm sure not much gets in, and you want to spin the tires as little as possible anyways...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well yea but when it does i was just making sure that it wont harm it too much also what kinda horse power might i be looking at? i have a magnaflow muffler and then i would add that k&n universal.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
soon to be getting the torque brace too

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the blower takes in all that it wants, regardless. but you'll free up as much as the K&N, AEM, or any other intake by putting in a freeer flowing filter that leaves more room in the engine bay, as well as eliminating heat soak, keeping intake temps down.

that said, i'm willing to bet that the filter i'm using is going to provide the same gains as ANY other intake, with out the looks. along with the added benifit of not having heatsoak.

and again, i've got something up my sleeve, buy you'll have to wait and see!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
So Vita, does that filter you link basically snap into place or do you have to sort of have a little fun putting it on if you catch my drift?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn u vita let me know when you get it finished or some what ill help ya out the best that i could. but hey sounds like youve been thinkin about this thing for a littl while huh?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the other thing i was gonna ask but i forgot. damn memory.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
it should go in easier than the stock filter, but it's got a 3.5 inch flange as opposed to 3.375, so i'm sure that's not a problem. i'll know soon.

and my little idea will likely be unveiled this weekend, as i'll be finishing it off then! wait to see...

PS - it'll be pretty damn cheap as well as effective...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so then should i buy that filter now or after your done?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Are you making a ram air setup Vita? We have the space to do it in our cars with extra vents too.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
This talk of gains with different filters is absolutely insane, one question. Who's got any hard information on this? Hmmm... kinda what I thought... I've yet to see anything tested on any of these filter/intake combos with any real accuracy to it. I hear a lot of theory and such, but it seems people are only picking and choosing the parts of the theories that they want to use. If Vita has something planned, that's one thing. For the rest of you, you need to gather some real information on superchaged engines, how they take air in, how a short ram works, how a CAI works, etc. I know I like to hear myself talk, and I know there's people that know more than myself, but I can't believe that were still talking about intakes.

If the intake is going to pull all the air into the car that it wants, then there is no reason to touch anything. Right? The only real way to increase the intake performance of a supercharged engine is to provide positive pressure at the intake source. You can do this several ways. One way, is with a CAI, for instance:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1023/article.html?popularArticle

Has good pictures and explanation of what a CAI is really doing. We can argue this if anyone wants, but the TRUE intention of a CAI is to provide mild air pressure at the intake. I've said this before, and most people ignore me, but I'm gonna say it again.

So anyone that states that the intake is going to pull all the air it can, shouldn't be touching the intake, and if they are, then they don't believe themselves. If you're doing it just for the sound or looks, then it's different. If you're looking for more power, you have 2 choices, a CAI, or a Ram-Air setup, that's it. You're not going to do anything else to increase the power. I'm sure I'll be jumped on for this but who cares...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i agree, but i do have to agree with PSI on the fact that the stock setup is adequate, and that changing filters is the biggest reason for ANY power gain. i gained 9hp from slapping the K&N drop in onto the stock airbox hose (minus the airbox).

the only real benefit that i saw with the K&N on was that it did indeed smooth out the performance of the car back to how it was stock compared to when i had the filter in the engine bay

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Thanks for the link spooner. I know absolutly nothing about intakes (I kid you not). I started to learn about cars 2 years ago and this is the first car that is worth learning anything about that I have owned. I am willing to learn, I just don't have the time nor the energy right now to figure things out on my own (well..I am lazy and that is part of the reason considering my dad went to a mechanics school..lol). I am more interested in smooth performance, I don't need extra power as I have to deal with snow and lots of black ice in the winter in this car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts