Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to get a cold air intake and i looked under the hood and realized that this shit might be hard based on how it is set up....if anyone has expirience installing it themselves let me know...and if anyone has pics it would be awesome

thanks....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya getting rid of that box is gonna suck...it seems hard to get at...does anyone have under-the-hood pics of a redline with an intake?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet...im gonna try to figure out what that is cuz i havent heard of it
.......does anyone know if goofyguys torque brace is truly the shit?...hit me up

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The torque brace IS the shit, and works beautifuly. The K&N intake seems like a bitch to install in a driveway and such. But if you know and are friendly with anyone who has acces to a lift, it's not hard at all. I have a friend who's a tech at a Saturn dealer around me, and we jsut used the lift whenever we needed to be under, and it made it MUCH easier. I was surprised also becuase no one had a problem with me workin on my own car back there. But with the right equipment, puttin in the K&N isn't that hard, and it also works beautifuly (sounds awesome also).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya thanks...im still not sold on the torque brace....but anyways ill try to find someone with a lift...or ill just have the shop do it

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
fenderdan412 said:
ya thanks...im still not sold on the torque brace....but anyways ill try to find someone with a lift...or ill just have the shop do it

Don't expect much of a horsepower increase from an intake, people on this board have dynoed between 6-7 wheel horsepower with the K&N and Korax's intake. They do make the supercharger whine much louder though.

You do NOT need a lift to to install the K&N intake, I did it just fine in my driveway with a jack and jackstand in about 2 hours. It's not really hard to install just a little time consuming. K&N sends you a really nice set of instructions with pictures to go with every step. You can take a look at it here http://www.kandn.com/instructions/69-8431.pdf

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doesnt look too tough....just taking that fatty box out might be hard....anyway...thanks man

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just installed the K&N intake on my own yesterday that was the biggest mod i have ever done on my on and it only took about an hour and a half it was alot easier than i thought it comes with pictured instructions and everything and the car sounds so bad ass now, it was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
fenderdan412 said:
doesnt look too tough....just taking that fatty box out might be hard....anyway...thanks man
You don't have to take the bottom part of the stock airbox out with the K&N intake.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
if you are installing the k&n intake you do not need to take the box out, the box actually servers as a mounting point but for korax's intake you have to take it out, his is not really a true CAI tho it is more short ram but still works great with the air box out. and goofys brace, BUY IT that is all i can say. well unless u like wheel hop, than dont.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
this car SHOULD have come with a torque brace stock, that's all i can say. when you realize wheel hop is an issue, then you'll have realized you need the torque brace...

to remove the airbox without cutting it up, you must loosen the ABS module, and the PCM, as well as removing the radiator hose. once that is done, you'll be able to take it out as long as you've moved the power/ground wires out of the way. it's harder to remove the airbox than install the intakes

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i like the look of that intake, does it get as hot as the K&N did at the track with the powder coating?

i'd think it either doesn't get as hot, or gets just as hot, but holds the heat in more...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
SatredL said:
Thanks Vita, yeah it gets hot but I don't think as hot as the K&N. It just may hold the heat better.
i figured it would, the powdercoating probably sheilds the aluminum from heat a little better than none at all.

you should get your valve cover powdercoated to match it, shouldn't be that pricey

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
never mind, i assume you did the painting then?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts