Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that my instrument cluster isn't to my car (just got the tech2 emulator). Guy I purchased the car from isn't responding. Gm isn't making the cluster anymore. Have yall had any luck getting the cluster reflashed to your vehicle i.e. changing the vin?

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I have not personally tried. But my buddy recently tried to get one flashed that was from another car and the Chevy dealer couldn't get it to work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, to get the rights to at least flash my vehicle is 40 bucks for two years so I think I'll give it a whirl and update back. I know some dealers just say no because they want you to buy new but that's not an option for us anymore :/

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
That's not bad. Worth a shot at least. I know base model clusters are still available. But not the same

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have the same plug ins and all right? I don't like the way they look but if I has to happen it'll happen lol

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Yes.
And you can always change the face over to yhe redline one. Or there's a company that makes aftermarket ones too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's true. Online the cluster seems to be 130 or so. I'm afraid to see what the actual mileage is on my car

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Mileage on my base model is messed up. Buddy I bought the car from bought it with a messed up cluster. It says 286k. But he put 77k on it before it got fixed. And no telling how long it was broken before he bought the car. We're guessing in the 400+k range

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got ahold of the guy who owned the car. It was his dad's and he doesn't think his dad changed it, but vins don't lie. The guy purchased the car with around 45k miles and every year it would go up (per inspection sheets) so I know it was right when he owned it. Hopefully it's in his storage. I can't accurately give gm mileage so I don't know if they'll give me an issue trying to buy a new one. Also not sure if the mph will need to be calibrated to the normal ion cluster. This car is gonna stress me out lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get 1 or two of the aeroforce interceptor gauges and a gauge pod to house them. It will at least give you mph, iat2, rpm, and several other important readings you need. If you are able to get the cluster to work it at least will keep you from driving blind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankfully, I'm not driving blind. Everything works just the vins wrong so I have "frozen mileage". I was told mileage is stored in the bcm but sure as hell can't find it in tech 2. If it's stored in there I feel like, with a dealer scan tool, you should be able to see it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, that's the problem. Once programed to a vehicle the vin and mileage are stored in it. Everything works and I could change the memory chip if I had the old cluster but the old owner is saying it was never changed, but it was. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh I literally thought it was from a different car altogether like a crazy retrofit. Never realized all that Info was stored in the cluster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I didn't either lol. It's to prevent someone turning back the miles on the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did. He said they never replaced it. Which is a lie. Vehicle was titled at 45k, next year inspected at 54k and then 64k then parked for a rod knock. He said he would look for it but haven't heard anything back in a while

1 - 17 of 17 Posts