Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted the guys at Motorsports, and they told me they have just received their first exhausts from Thermal R&D, which he said had an impressive gain, for about $550
Also that K&N just finished making their intake and that is around $220,
no numbers on either yet unfortunataly, :rolleyes:
I personally am going to wait for AEM, which i have used in all my vehicles and love.
Anyone been able to get their hands on these, I sadly promised the wife I would do her car before I did mine (she has an 04 Ion 3) and am 3/4 of the way there, with CAI, body kit, rims, tint, and springs, just an exhaust left, then it is to the drawing board for me.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
That's great news!!!

:D

I wonder which intake will give more HP and torque gain? K&N or AEM.

Do you know if the K&N will be short ram? Currently, that's the only type that AEM will have available for the RL.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
What is the piping size for the Exhaust i hope it's atleast 2.75" or 3" perferably. K&N make great intakes, but so does AEM. AEM's usually look better then K&N's do though.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
hoping the exhaust is 3", and wondering about the intake, did they mention if it is a WAI or CAI? nothing is listed on the site yet

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's probably going to be 2.5 inch piping. Waiting for the AEM intake, can't wait. It should sound really good...

Tom

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i dont think the exhaust is redline specific...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Vita said:
i dont think the exhaust is redline specific...
exactly... all these posts about RL parts coming out are such a god damn tease! I open them up and they are basically only rumors :(
until i see a link to a site that actually sells them... its just speculation..
(frustration... theres only so much teasing i can take :eek: )

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
exactly... all these posts about RL parts coming out are such a god damn tease! I open them up and they are basically only rumors :(
until i see a link to a site that actually sells them... its just speculation..
(frustration... theres only so much teasing i can take :eek: )
oh it's actually being sold alright, but its for an ion, not the redline. as far as i know, there isn't any ion redline specific parts out yet, but the AEM intake and K&N intake should be out soon enough, probobly both waiting for carb certification. soon enough, soon enough.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't see why there would be any Redline-specific catbacks anyway. From the exhaust side of the head to the exhaust tip, it's the same between the Redlines and other Ions.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the reason there should be a redline specific is that a non redline ion has no need for a 3 inch back where we can use it. A 3 inch on a ion would be obnoxious and ruin the torque.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
linenoyz said:
I don't see why there would be any Redline-specific catbacks anyway. From the exhaust side of the head to the exhaust tip, it's the same between the Redlines and other Ions.
you forget that the RL is NOT just an ion with a supercharger slapped on, there were MANY improvements top to bottom. anyways, i doubt they're running 2.25 inch piping with GM largest cat and "free flowing" exhaust extractors on the regular ions...

not to mention a redline specific exhaust would be designed with the redlines power curves and airflow requirements in mind

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
they must not have it posted on the website yet.

i'll be doing a custom exhaust when the time comes, unless i really like the sound of this one, but i'm opting for a full 3" because eventually it will become nescessity

·
Registered
293 Posts
Vita said:
you forget that the RL is NOT just an ion with a supercharger slapped on, there were MANY improvements top to bottom. anyways, i doubt they're running 2.25 inch piping with GM largest cat and "free flowing" exhaust extractors on the regular ions...

not to mention a redline specific exhaust would be designed with the redlines power curves and airflow requirements in mind
I'm aware of that...I'm talking in terms of fitting and dimensions.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the fitting and dimensions being the same doesn't make reason for their to not be a redline specific exhaust

·
Registered
293 Posts
Vita said:
the fitting and dimensions being the same doesn't make reason for their to not be a redline specific exhaust
I realize that. I wasn't aware that other Ion catbacks are only 2.25" or whatever. Remember, I'm coming from the F-Body world, just about everything is 3". :)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
linenoyz said:
I realize that. I wasn't aware that other Ion catbacks are only 2.25" or whatever. Remember, I'm coming from the F-Body world, just about everything is 3". :)
i see says the blind man. we'll it looks like 2.5 inch is good enough anyways, so someone go out and buy this so we can see the gains/hear the sound clips you post for us!

·
Registered
416 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
The gentleman I spoke to said the K&N was a cai, and the exhaust was 2.75 specificaly made for the redline . . .
Feel free to call motorsports @ (619) 442-6145
Either I called Mr. Roboto or that's a number for a fax machine. . .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Still Waiting...I called SMS like 3 weeks ago and they said the cold air intake would be out in 2 weeks. I jsut called back this morning and they said the K&N CAI will be out in 2 weeks. SO i dont know what theyre doing over there with that. Also we need some more choices than just the thermal research and design exhaust. If anyone has this exhaust can u please post an audio clip. Or if anyone has dyno graph of that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts