Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a week or so ago I said I was going to make an intake. I know the K&N one just came out but....the weekend after this I am still going to make a proto-type intake. If it goes well ill try to beat the $250 group buy price. And im not going to bend the pipe back around inside the fender like they did. So my pipping will be shorter and have 1 less bend then theres. Well ill get back with you when I have more info.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
korax123 said:
I know a week or so ago I said I was going to make an intake. I know the K&N one just came out but....the weekend after this I am still going to make a proto-type intake. If it goes well ill try to beat the $250 group buy price. And im not going to bend the pipe back around inside the fender like they did. So my pipping will be shorter and have 1 less bend then theres. Well ill get back with you when I have more info.
Go for it man! Just remember, there's a reason and a dyno chart to show that their set-up works! A good bend dosen't restrict things too much, and the location of the air filter has something to do with the air inside the wheel wells getting some air pressure from the motion of the car. Also, becareful with that MAF sensor and how it hooks into your setup.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:
becareful with that MAF sensor and how it hooks into your setup.
have fun with that...

it's hard to find a cheap and professional way to do it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
me and the guy doing it already have an idea on how to hook up the MAF sensor and the plug on the other side that goes to the valve cover. It's going to be a 3" piping I just have to find a place to get a good filter at. I would do it this weekend but my fiance has to take my car to Pittsburgh cause her car is a 93 Honda Civic with 150k miles so im just letter her use mine.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Use the same K&N filter that they put on their intake, or use another K&N one. Like the E-1009, which is the one that I have in the stock airbox now, hell when I get my intake, I'll send it to ya if you want to pay shipping, it was around $45 new. Has the same 3" diameter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Korax - lemme know when you're doing this - I'd be glad to run out to you and help, and pay for materials and your labor so we can do one on mine....I live NW of Philly, and wouldn't mind a weekend trip out your way. Drop me a PM.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Make sure you guys keep that home-made ram-air system in mind when you're giving this a shot! That setup looked like it had some real potential before it got drown out with the K&N buy, I feel bad about that! If you guy(s) are gonna get down and bend up some tubing anyway, that might be a great time to take that ram-air to the next step! Just trying to help, not preach!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I really don't want a ram air setup unless I can draw air from up high, versus down low - I was absolutely scared to death driving around last week when we got a shitload of rain and there were huge puddles and overflowing intersections - no water for me.

I just want to do a stainless copy of the stock tube, fab a rectangle bung for the MAF sensor, and have about an inch below that for which to attach the filter (generic K&N).

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know putting the filter where i want it the space is limited so you can't fit a really long filter in there i think thats why K&N put that extra bend in there intake so they could put a bigger filter on. But when i drop the liner I will look again to measure everything in there.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
well, i'm looking forward to what you guys have up your sleeve!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would anyone be interested in a short ram intake also....a 3" pipe that will let the filter sit just a little bit above the stock intake box. And there will be an adapter so the MAF sensor will fit on the pipe properly. Sorta like Barry's intake mod but done the right way. Maybe not as good gain's as a CAI but if you live where it rain's and snows a lot it will be a lot safer.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
not me, i think the stock intake is about as efficient you can get up until that point. why replace a good quality rubber tube with aluminum with worse heat resistant properties if you're only going to emulate the stock system anyways?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My rubber tube is actually pinched a little bit where the plug goes into the valve cover. Plus adding a higher flowing filter and the box will be open, it will allow more airflow better then just putting in a K&N drop in filter. But I am also going to see what it takes to make a ram air style...hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts