Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got the Korax intake, & I'm having a problem. Can someone tell me what's going on? When I'm driving and I coast to a stop with the clutch depressed and the rpm's go down it does'nt stop at idle the engine shuts off. I have to downshift to 2nd and goose it a little to keep the engine running. Can someone explain to me what's happening and what the cause and cure is? :confused:

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Not for certain. Have you done all the common sense checks already? Make sure any vac lines around where you were working are still connected. Check and double check the MAF sensor, the connection, the position, and make sure no dirt got on it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You're not getting any codes though huh? Strange... perhaps you should pop the sensor out and make sure it's clean and etc. What was the oil level on the filter like? WopOnTour posted a TSB about K&N-style airfilters that could have too much oil in the initial oiling. Could allow some to reach the MAF sensor and foul up readings. I would assume you'd throw a code though...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
whats the korax intake? is it just a CAI?

Try resetting your ecu.
It's Korax's homemade shortram.

I have NO luck with the damn ECU reset. The light that I was getting for a little while would not go off. I even unplugged both battery cables overnight and the code was still on. Maybe it was just that particular situation, I know it seems to work for most other people.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SatredL said:
But you see spooner I'm not getting a check engine light, the rpm's go down the engine cuts off, and it so quiet you don' even know it shut off.
No, no, no, I got that part man, sorry if I conveyed it wrong. That's what I'm confused about. Have you pulled the computer power to let it reset itself? I had a light come in instantly when I put the K&N on, but it didn't run any different at idle. Hmmm, I'd go with Clownhairs suggestion next, reset that bitch.

Hmmm... have you had the recall work done to yours? I know it's a stretch, but that's what mine did when it went nuts from the cam sensor. Would just stall, or almost stall while slowing down. The time before I took it in, it did exactly what you're describing.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
riz906 said:
what year rl .
It's an 04

Yeah spooner I had the cam sensor work done, and I've disconnected the battery several times I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
try cleaning the MAF with intake cleaner (parts store guys will know what's safe for a MAF)

other than that, i had it happen to me occansionally, not with the K&N though. are the RPMs erratic before it dies? mine used to bounce when i had a K&N strapped to the end of the intake hose, after i hooked up the K&N it went away, and is still away now that i've gone back to stock

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same problem, only I have the AEM intake...so I don't think it's the Korax intake that's causing it...I opened a new topic on this (Heat problem), so hopefully we can put all our heads together and figure it out.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I know it's not the intake, I don't know a lot about these newer cars, and I ran this past Korax. Could it be due to a drop in compression because of the change in air flow, or the change in air/fuel mix?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Your change in airflow, particuarly at idle, is going to be almost the exact same, if not the exact same, the computer should be keeping the A/F ratio where it needs to be, and you're not dropping compression, compression is related to other issues.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Jim, have you cleaned the MAF yet?

i'd say this is the first step.

i had the same problem, and in the winter was getting rich codes. they updated the PCM and all was good, but still had erratic idle when depressing clutch and coasting. not at stop though, as i usually let the gear wind down

·
Registered
681 Posts
Haven't cleaned the MAF....what is recommended for cleaning? I've got 12,000 miles on it, with all but 600 running an open element air cleaner...

I did have the PCM update, plus the battery has been disconnected twice in the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
break cleaner works wonders on a maf, thats what i did with mine b4 i intstalled it in the korax intake and it works great now, no problems so far. i was throwning codes everytime i went wot with barrys mod, think it was because the maf was dirty.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
fuel injected air intake cleaner or something like that. the parts guys will know.

could be the filter was WAY oily, and you'd probably see it by now if ever, so it could be the issue. BUT, you both have different intakes, not sure on if you've got the same filters though.

what are the dimensions of the filters (both of you?)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts