Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase an 05 redline with the comp package and I was just wondering if there was any decent intakes out for the cars yet. I saw a few on SPS's web site and was wondering if anyone had tried them yet?

Thanks,
Adam Ant

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
GO K&N if anything, if you want short ram, go with Korax's intake, AEM uses the stock airbox lid...

injen will be out sometime, and i'm sure it will be as good as the K&N

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I too, would suggest the K&N or remain stock for the intake... not a TON to be gained on the intake side of things.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you suggest the K&N drop in filter or the K&N cold air that SPS sells? Whats Korax? Are these intakes worth doing or are they just going to make a lot of noise?

Thanks,
Adam Ant

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I would suggest the CAI *personally*... if you're not going that route, Vita might have some suggestions for good K&N drop-ins for ya. There is some debate on what works, what works better, and what is costs more than it's worth. So far, no one has installed any intakes, and said "Well, just installed the ***** intake and MAN IT SUCKS!" Have you dynoed the car stock? If so, buy the K&N and put that horsepower guarantee that comes in the box to a test. They guarantee that if you dyno the car in the way that they demonstrate, and you make no more power, they'll refund your money...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
definitely don't go with the SMS K&N if it's still 380+, we've got two vendors here selling for 250 shipped.

if you're looking for performance and don't want to spend the cash, i'd suggest something than the "drop in" replacement K&N has for our cars, instead choose a filter from their universal list such as RX-4140, or something similar that'll leave more room in the airbox. PSI-FI has decided to stay with the stock intake system and only replace the filter as they've come to the conclusion that it's a well designed system, it just ain't too pretty.

the K&N performs, looks good, and sounds good, so if that's what you want, right now there is no substitue. short rams draw hot air, so i won't even recommend one, but if you really want one (doens't sound like it) get the Korax intake (do a search).

just getting a new filter "should" provide similar gains as pretty much any of the intakes available and will cost MUCH less than a whole new kit.

it really depends on your preference

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I would suggest the CAI *personally*... if you're not going that route, Vita might have some suggestions for good K&N drop-ins for ya. There is some debate on what works, what works better, and what is costs more than it's worth. So far, no one has installed any intakes, and said "Well, just installed the ***** intake and MAN IT SUCKS!" Have you dynoed the car stock? If so, buy the K&N and put that horsepower guarantee that comes in the box to a test. They guarantee that if you dyno the car in the way that they demonstrate, and you make no more power, they'll refund your money...
Does anyone know how much the entire stock intake setup is? Including everything from the throttle body to the end of the snorkle in the wheel well. In fact, if there is anyone that has their stock intake setup exluding the airbox, I would be happy to take it off your hands, infact I will pay shipping on it too!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
No idea at all, I bet its way more than it's worth though...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
yeah, it's probably 400+ for the whole setup, and i'm trying to low ball it to give GM a chance on that one

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I might be able to sell what I have, I saved it all after the install, but I don't have the air box itself, I have the lid, but the bottom 1/2 is in the car still.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Vita said:
yeah, it's probably 400+ for the whole setup, and i'm trying to low ball it to give GM a chance on that one
Anyone want to get rid of their old stock setup? I do not need the airbox, just the tube, MAF housing/LID/snorkel off airbox that goes into wheel well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I might be able to sell what I have, I saved it all after the install, but I don't have the air box itself, I have the lid, but the bottom 1/2 is in the car still.
As long has you have the rubber tude/lid/and the other half from the wheel well I will be set.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
tlake84 said:
As long has you have the rubber tude/lid/and the other half from the wheel well I will be set.
may i ask why you need/want it all?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Lemme think about it, not POSITIVE that I want to get rid of it yet... I'll let you know this weekend after I look at my paycheck and my wish list!!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
tlake84 said:
I hacked my orginal one up for a "custom intake" and I seems like its only been causing me some problems...
i see, i did the same with the snorkel tube, and luckily i got another from a member here

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Adam_Ant said:
Getting ready to purchase an 05 redline with the comp package <snip>
You can just shut up and quit rubbing it in... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.