Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over the new car last night and thinging about how similar this car was in desigh properties to my old Typhoon in regards to the forced induction lay out. The SyTy's used an air to water intercooler as well with a small pump and a radiator underneath the truck. The SyTy's ECM monitered a temp sensor that switched the pump on at a given temp (I don't off hand remember what it was though). The draw back to this is that the water would get very hot and the intercooler heat soaked durring the delayed turn on time for the pomp putting a crutch on perfprmance.

My question is. Dose anyone know if the the RL intercooler pump is switched on and off via a temprature switch through the ECM or dose it run all the time?

If it is not running all the time there can be some small gains available in either hard wiring the pump or bumping the temp so far down in the programing that it will automaticly be on all the time.

Just curious if any one has looked into this yet..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do you know if the pump drew away HP in your Typhoon? Or did the extra cooling pretty much offset any robbing hp from the pump?

Tom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom01SC2 said:
Do you know if the pump drew away HP in your Typhoon? Or did the extra cooling pretty much offset any robbing hp from the pump?

Tom
:confused:

The pump is electric and dose not draw alot of voltage... The only hp loss (if you can call it that) you could even calculate would be parisitic loss from added alternator load.

Having the pump cycle in the programing or not running at all (bad pupm) is a place to loose HP from added intake temps caused by the coolant not being circulated through the charge air cooler.

Having the pump running all the time will help keep charge air temps down and coolant temps in the charge air system will be more even.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
well, we had a test car on the dyno, and the coolant for the intercooler was getting so hot that it started to come out the overflow, so i'm sure there are some things to be done, i think a lower t-stat will help some, as i'm pretty sure there arent seperate cores for the intercooler and coolant for the motor, they just draw the warmer coolant from the top for the engine, and the coolant for the intercooler is drawn from the bottom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Vita said:
well, we had a test car on the dyno, and the coolant for the intercooler was getting so hot that it started to come out the overflow, so i'm sure there are some things to be done, i think a lower t-stat will help some, as i'm pretty sure there arent seperate cores for the intercooler and coolant for the motor, they just draw the warmer coolant from the top for the engine, and the coolant for the intercooler is drawn from the bottom
No, they are two seperate and isolated systems. If you look under the car there is an A/C condensor, then the charge air cooler radiator then the cars cooling radiator all from front to back. Charge air cooler is in the middle infront of the radiator.

If there is coolant coming out of the overflow for the charge air system as you say then there is room for improvement for sure

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
no, that is the oil cooler there,

front to back:

ac condensor
oil cooler
radiator (both the intercooler and engine draw from it, i like how they set it up too, although f'n gm didn't give us a petcock)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vita said:
no, that is the oil cooler there,

front to back:

ac condensor
oil cooler
radiator (both the intercooler and engine draw from it, i like how they set it up too, although f'n gm didn't give us a petcock)
Might want to look closer. The second in is the charge cooler radiator. Follow the lines. They go from the cooler on the passanger side one to the intercooler pump inlet, then to the intercooler, back out and into the line on the driver side. I don't see an oiler cooler out in the open on this car but I do not believe it has one.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if you look where the lines go, they go into the radiator, and our car DOES have an oil cooler, trust me, we had half the car ripped apart

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
what do you mean you had a typhoon would you be so foolish to sell the best truck ever made? Anyways its temp controled to my knowledge. The heat soak problem would be better solved by having the fans running all the time when you stopped. You can do a realy setup to switch them on when your in a position that you need some speed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
goofyguy said:
what do you mean you had a typhoon would you be so foolish to sell the best truck ever made?
Don't get me wrong man. I loved that truck but having to run 110 race fuel in it all the time at $3.65 a gallon was not a economic solution for a daily driver. My wife and I just had a son and with school starting in a few days I could not afford to keep it. I do miss it very much (I also miss the 492 hp and 612 ft lb's of tq at teh wheels @ 26 pounds of boost :D ) but I needed to have a bit more economical vehicle. I will be looking for a Sy htough after I buy a bigger house with a bigger garage.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
damn skippy. Thats a bad truck with too much to offer. Awd turbo v6. Wow I wish I could get a hold of one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts