Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my car looking around and snapped this photo.

Notice the negitive colored wire (blk/wht) going into the dc motor's harness side that is labeled (+)

From my electrical background blk/wht normally is negitive.

Can a few of you guys crawl under your redlines and see if your harness is wired the same as mine.

And for further discussion, which way do you think the coolant should flow through the clear check valve? clockwise or counter clockwise

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah and i removed the harness and measured the voltage.........................

the solid black wire is hot (+14V) and the blk/wht wire is (0V)

It appears to be wired in reverse polarity, Which would be about as efficient as installing a boat propeller in reverse.

Please follow up on this with me guys.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Where is it at?

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is actually the subject of a TSB, recently came out from GM.
I'm a tech at a saturn dealer, getting a redline soon and noticed this the other day as well :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I dont see a tsb number on it yet. All I have is a printoff. I think my manager gets the tsb's early or something, not sure. It says "engine lacks power. hesitates, and/or stumbles on hard acceleration and/or loses some power after high RPM cruising in high temps."

says a wiring variation at the coolant charge pump wire connector that may reduce coolant flow from the pump.

All it says for a fix is inspect the wires and switch them if necessary. dont know if a different fix is coming or anything...

Disconnect the elctrical connector on the supercharger coolant pump. the connector cavaties are id'd by a number (1 and 2) that is cast into the side of the connector body. the negative wire terminal (black with white stripe) should be in cavity number 1. the positive (black) should be in #2.
if you attempt to fix this yourself, it recommends you use GM tool # 12094429 to pull the pins out of the connector. most people wont have this but gm dealers will. all it says to do is switch the wires if they are infact crossed.
this is only on 04-05 (duh :) )

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
TSB # 05-06-02-003

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Is this something that we should just go do ourselves, if we're individually capable, or something to go in for?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unknownsuperhero said:
Yeah, I mean a day of driving should be enough to make any spilt coolant evaporate. I am anxious to check it now.
Amish, did you just pull out the wiers and swap them or what??
ANd just to clarify, solid black is + black w/ stripe is - (neg)
that is correct you can do a quick double check by using a dc voltmeter on the two pins when the car is idleing.

blk = 14v

·
Registered
296 Posts
Can we determine if the problem is confined to either the '04 or '05 model years?

Those folks who have found theeirs to be reversed, which model year do you have?

Also, once/after you switch to correct position, do you notice any difference?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have an 04, there is no real apparent difference as of now. But come warm weather and higher temps we should notice a difference.

And for those of you that are no longer running stock vehicles and are planning on creating more boost, this increased efficiency of aftercooler temperatures is a must.

So far i have not heard from anyone that there pump was wired correctly.

And im glad that this may be of help you all of you guys. These forums were created to allow fellow redline owners share information and knowledge (and not keep secrets).

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
jmichna said:
Can we determine if the problem is confined to either the '04 or '05 model years?

Those folks who have found theeirs to be reversed, which model year do you have?

Also, once/after you switch to correct position, do you notice any difference?

There is a vin break in the bulletin which I no longer have. If anyone has the bulletin in front of them, post the vin break. I think it is just for 2004 models, but it depends on the vin break.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
amishland - Winner of most informative post of the week! That's a great find man... I wonder if they've been quietly fixing it during other repairs? Seems odd that they wouldn't want to get that fixed...

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Sp00ner said:
amishland - Winner of most informative post of the week! That's a great find man... I wonder if they've been quietly fixing it during other repairs? Seems odd that they wouldn't want to get that fixed...
It does seem odd, but they have not been fixing that problem without a complaint. Under warranty, you need a valid complaint to have something fixed unless it is either a driveability or a safety concern. Otherwise, they let it roll until you say something. Makes me wonder how long until someone blows something up internally.

All y'all need to do is say that the car loses power in the warmer weather after you have been driving awhile. If they can't find anything wrong, mention the TSB and they'll fix it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
speedingredline said:
The next time I go to the dealer I am gonna mention it. And see what they have to say.
Well, I finally found out that if it is wired incorrectly for too long it will eventually FAIL! This morning when I started my car to go to work.... my display flashed COOLANT. Car was running VERY rough. First thing I did was check my coolant level, everything seemed normal... so I wasnt about to drive my car to work, let along the dealership. So I had it TOWED to the dealership. Later on, I called to get an update, only to find out that my INTERCOOLER PUMP FAILED! So just an update, there might be a recall on this pretty soon...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Tlake
The intercooler has a seperate cooling system with no driver warning provision. A failed CAC pump or even a leak or (heaven forbid) a totally empty/dry system will not turn on any warning lights. The warning light you describe is for low engine coolant, but barring that there might have been something wrong with the coolant level switch input circuit to the BCM. The intercooler pump failure must have been just a coincidence.
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Went in for brake problems on a new car

Warped rotor and corroded rotors...resurfaced and all is good

Also had them check intercooler wiring gave them the tsb and they were like but we need you to have a problem...I was like it looses power when its hot as i rolled my eyes.

Sure as shit it was backwards. I went for a test drive with the mechanic who did my work and he was like ya your brakes sucked...but Ive never seen that pump backwards before. Cool guy tho. I thanked him for taking care of everything after the test drive.

05 redline Wonder when the mix up stopped?

Dan

P.S. he said he had a car in there...an 04...that had blew up its intercooler pump once before

1 - 20 of 203 Posts