Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spoke with a company that makes modular pulley systems for Grand Prix's, Regal GS's, Monte Carlo SS's, Impala SS's, Harley Davidson F-150's Cobra's, and Lightning's. Modular pulley systems, for those that don't know are awesome. You can easily change pulley sizes as the mod levels increases.

They said they would definately build them if there is interest. My kit for my GTP was $149.95 shipped and did not matter what pulley size was chosen. They do all the RD..which isn't much and usually state how much boost is added per pulley size dropped. On a stock Grand Prix going from a stock pulley (3.8") 8 psi, to a 3.5" pulley adds about 3 more psi. This is non-intercooled! :cool:

On my GTP I run a 2.7" pulley! With my mods I see about 12 psi of intercooled boost.

If you are interested in this kit please reply and forward this to any RL owner you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I would be interested but I heard that putting a smaller pulley on the RL S/C f#@ks it up.

I think someone on another forum tried it.

Thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been swapping pulleys on M90's for about 6-7 years now. There have been some cases of SC failures but out of the 18,000+ members we have I can remember more than 6 or so. Most of those failures are attributed to not following procedures.
We also have a special puller designed for our SC's to almost eliminate SC damage.

I have actually had 2 different guys tell me they have literally hammered a pulley on the SC and had NO probelms with the SC.

The company will discover any potential hazards...if any.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i would be extremely interested in it, but only if it was proven to me that the pulley system would not be detrimental to my car in any way.

proven as in proof from the company and some good feedback from a few buyers...

.......but yeah, im all about it. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I persoanlly would get a LSD for the car before making any mods that increase HP and torque. The car already has too much torque for an open differential.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
do a little research, the pulley is spinning near it's max rpms at redline, what this car needs is a bigger blower, then you can start adding smaller pullies once supporting mods are done to accept higher boost levels

·
Registered
524 Posts
If they do the R&D on it I'm sure there are a lot of RL owners that would buy it. Right now it runs about 12 psi, I'm sure a pulley could be designed to increase boost by minimul level (like a couple of psi) since the blower is working pretty close to its max. But like I said, if they do the R&D who wouldn't buy it?

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Actually, from doing some more research and what not about our cars I came across something that is pretty interesting. The m62 blower we use is actually spinning faster and able to produce more than 12 psi's. However, the RL's ECU is limiting the boost and not allowing it to go over that amount. I think that is the problem right there, that is why people are saying that swapping out the pulley will just cause more heat and you won't gain that much hp. Hopefully someone cracks the PCM, let it boost more, and increase the actual redline...

Tom

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
Actually, from doing some more research and what not about our cars I came across something that is pretty interesting. The m62 blower we use is actually spinning faster and able to produce more than 12 psi's. However, the RL's ECU is limiting the boost and not allowing it to go over that amount. I think that is the problem right there, that is why people are saying that swapping out the pulley will just cause more heat and you won't gain that much hp. Hopefully someone cracks the PCM, let it boost more, and increase the actual redline...

Tom
VERY interseting, mind posting a link?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boost is controlled by the SC rpm(crank and SC pulley rpm) and bypass valve. The PCM may be able to use the MAP sensor to open it somewhat but I think it only reads MAP not screw with it.

There is another option to this as well. I will copy and paste my thread from another board here and start another thread.

Back to the topic...they will see if it is feasible and give boost number according to pulley size. Ghey may find that there is only one pulley size will create max PSI from the M62 in which case the will make a press on pulley and be done with it.

They R&D'd the pulley swap for the Nissan Frontier SC which uses an M62. They lowered pulley size by .3" and gained 3 psi and picked up 26HP..non-intercooled.

The RL pulley is bigger, not sure about the crank pulley, but the RL revs about 2100 rpms higher the the Nissan thus spinning the SC faster.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Howsitgoing said:
Boost is controlled by the SC rpm(crank and SC pulley rpm) and bypass valve. The PCM may be able to use the MAP sensor to open it somewhat but I think it only reads MAP not screw with it.

There is another option to this as well. I will copy and paste my thread from another board here and start another thread.

Back to the topic...they will see if it is feasible and give boost number according to pulley size. Ghey may find that there is only one pulley size will create max PSI from the M62 in which case the will make a press on pulley and be done with it.

They R&D'd the pulley swap for the Nissan Frontier SC which uses an M62. They lowered pulley size by .3" and gained 3 psi and picked up 26HP..non-intercooled.

The RL pulley is bigger, not sure about the crank pulley, but the RL revs about 2100 rpms higher the the Nissan thus spinning the SC faster.
those were my thoughts, so i figured it MAY be a PCM controlled bypass somehow!?! although i have heard elsewhere that a few things done to the PCM and Whammo, more power, i see this being feasable, as IF GM wants to compete in any way with DCx, then upgrades are in the works, and a simple, reflash would be key for easy revenue, because you know everyone is going to want it. i'm getting a different blower anyway, so a pulley is not on my mind, but anything that can "unlock" some more power would be nice.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've been following this thread and thought I'd chime in with what I have read. I have been looking for the thread and cannot find it as of yet, but will post it when I find it. The problem I read about the Redline's current system lies with the intercooler. It seems it is at the maximun CFM flow with the current blower and boost level. To boost the blower by overdriving it causes a reduction in performance by way of heat build up and a bottle necking effect. As always, it isn't as easy to bump up performance the cheap way as it first appears.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
I've been following this thread and thought I'd chime in with what I have read. I have been looking for the thread and cannot find it as of yet, but will post it when I find it. The problem I read about the Redline's current system lies with the intercooler. It seems it is at the maximun CFM flow with the current blower and boost level. To boost the blower by underdriving it causes a reduction in performance by way of heat build up and a bottle necking effect. As always, it isn't as easy to bump up performance the cheap way as it first appears.
this is interesting...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It seems it is at the maximun CFM flow with the current blower and boost level
This may be the case. If so, this company will find out for sure. It will more than likely require 93 octane.

If it is the case, I think we would just need a new IC pump and/or new heat exchanger to better remove any possible added heat.

So far I have the following interested:
Howsitgoing
Tom01SC2
shaneandjennifer
JPK
xtremesc2
Vita

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:

Tom

I talked to a Saturn tech today at the dealer who said that Jones was working on a chip to to do this.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i'm interested as well, just want to see some results ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I guess I could Autotap the car and see if at max boost the PCM is adjusting MAP values...

Updated list:
Howsitgoing
Tom01SC2
shaneandjennifer
JPK
xtremesc2
Vita

UPDATE!
I spoke with the company today and they stated that they could do press on pulleys for about $110 each. Saves $50 or so but can be a pain in the ass swapping pulleys every couple months. What I need is a STOCK pulley. I have contacted Magnuson and they have NO replacement parts (pulleys)made for the RL yet. We need to get our hands on one.
I spoke about testing. Gains from the pulley will be released prior to marketing. SC'd Frontier's and Exterras got the word of 26HP gain.

Typically, from their experience we should see about 1PSI increase for every .1" we decrease in size. I will assist them in IC effectiveness issues and testing if needed. All it really is scanning the car during dyno runs and street runs and watching for KR, fueling, and MAF issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts