Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on guys, i just joined this forum and i was wondering which do you guys think is better in terms of performance, money, regular driving, and essential retail value after a couple years between the ION RL and the Tiburon GT. I am currently looking to buy one of the two, but i am unsure which to buy. I really like the ION RL but the interior isn't exactly gonna win anyone over, however, the Tiburon GT is slower only by 1sec but has a much better looking interior. Anyways, feel free to comment about this > Thanks....

·
Registered
125 Posts
King_of_BlingBling said:
Whats going on guys, i just joined this forum and i was wondering which do you guys think is better in terms of performance, money, regular driving, and essential retail value after a couple years between the ION RL and the Tiburon GT. I am currently looking to buy one of the two, but i am unsure which to buy. I really like the ION RL but the interior isn't exactly gonna win anyone over, however, the Tiburon GT is slower only by 1sec but has a much better looking interior. Anyways, feel free to comment about this > Thanks....
Well, it's all a matter of personal taste. I personally didn't even consider the Tiburon when I was shopping and this was probably because it's a Hyundai. Also, 1 second is more than you might think, and the plastic side panels did it for me as well. Now I have no worries about some jerk dinging the side of my new car. But what really cinched it for me was the $3,000 rebate and $250 Internet coupon. This just made the ION RL a deal that I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah one sec to most people is nothing or even a tenth but thats a HUGE difference in performance. My car ran 15.3 stock and now is half a second faster. Doesnt seem like much huh but look at my mods just to get a half a second. Its gonna take more then that on a N/A v6 like the Tiburon. I havent drive either car but i like the interior and outside of the RL a WHOLE lot more. I am partial to saturns anyway and like them for family/daily drivers but now i can have that and have a lil kick too., when i get one :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
You said it all with "RETAIL VALUE"!

American cars don't hold their value well compared to most German and Japanese cars.

A Hyundai will not hold it's value compared to anything! Ask any car salesman and they will tell you, that when a Hyundai drives on there lot...they run from it knowing the owners owes WAY more than it's worth at almost any point in the cars life.

Go with the Redline. The RL is trapping 94MPH in the 1/4. With good traction that is good for about 14.3 - 14.5.

The Tiburon's 88MPH trap is good for about 15.7 - 15.9 with traction. 1.5 seconds is HUGE when talking 1/4 mile times!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Howsitgoing said:
You said it all with "RETAIL VALUE"!

American cars don't hold their value well compared to most German and Japanese cars.

A Hyundai will not hold it's value compared to anything! Ask any car salesman and they will tell you, that when a Hyundai drives on there lot...they run from it knowing the owners owes WAY more than it's worth at almost any point in the cars life.

Go with the Redline. The RL is trapping 94MPH in the 1/4. With good traction that is good for about 14.3 - 14.5.

The Tiburon's 88MPH trap is good for about 15.7 - 15.9 with traction. 1.5 seconds is HUGE when talking 1/4 mile times!
Now i like the RL but 14.3-14.5??? I dont think so. A 2004 Mustang GT runs like a 14.2 and thats 100lbs more torque and 60 more horses altho they weigh a lil more. I havent heard of a redline better then 15.0. not syaing it cant happen, maybe 14.9 but 14.3 stock?? No way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
also thats up there with the SRT-4. and i still like the RL better but its not gonna beat one of those stock.

·
Registered
453 Posts
that hyundai pos is slow. one of them tried to pass me, and i barely pressed my gas and he dissapeared in my rear-view mirror. plus, theres a reason they have that 10 year warranty... cheap quality. i knew a guy at work who paid almost 30k for one of those with all the options...

once you drive a supercharged/ turbocharged engine, you'll NEVER go N/A again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading everyone's reply, i am know leaning toward a saturn rl but im not that thrilled about the center gauge in the saturn rl, that is the only thing that is stopping my from buying that car. Im just curious, what do you guys think of the center gauge in the saturn rl, is it hard to look at while driving????, and is it better or worse than a regular gauge that is right in front of the driver???...thanks...

·
Registered
125 Posts
King_of_BlingBling said:
After reading everyone's reply, i am know leaning toward a saturn rl but im not that thrilled about the center gauge in the saturn rl, that is the only thing that is stopping my from buying that car. Im just curious, what do you guys think of the center gauge in the saturn rl, is it hard to look at while driving????, and is it better or worse than a regular gauge that is right in front of the driver???...thanks...
The center pod takes a little getting used to, but you will get used to it. I have a friend who is on the short side, and I let him drive it. He loved the fact that there wasn't a pod in fronnt of him. He said he could see much more of the road. So, it has it's pluses and minuses. I have 800 miles on the RL now and I'm almost used to the center pod arrangement, but I'm 6' 1" tall, so I don't recieve the benefit that my friend does.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah its awkward but its easy to adjust. I drove a normal saturn ion to N. Carolina and i was like this thing in the center is stupid but suprisingly u get used to it quick!

·
Registered
105 Posts
A 2004 Mustang GT runs like a 14.2 and thats 100lbs more torque and 60 more horses altho they weigh a lil more.
They weigh about 3300lbs! Between 350-400lbs more. They are also trapping 98MPH! WITH TRACTION they are easily mid to high 13's.

The SRT-4 weigh's nearly the same as the RL but runs a 102MPH trap. Faster than the GT which has been seen over and over again.

102MPH trap is the reason there have been several DR only cars in the mid 13's. There are a couple in the 13.6 - 13.8 on stock rubber! :eek:

14.3-14.5??? I dont think so
With the right conditions and driver I'd say it could be done but who knows?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have seen a few 99+ GT's hit 13.9 thats with a perfect driver. Never mid 13's stock no way!!! A 2001 cobra with 320 horses usually hit high 13's. The new machs with 305 horses hit mid 13's. A 99 or newer GT is never gonna hit a mid 13 and barely if lucky and perfect condition 13.9. Most run 14.1-14.4

·
Registered
119 Posts
my friend just bought a 01 cobra with 15k miles bassani off road xpipe and borla exhaust. and from a 10mph roll a redline was right at his bumper all the was to about 75. from a dead stop the cobra put about a car on the saturn but the saturn was at his bumper the whole time. a RL will waste a stock 4.6 gt. car and driver got a 14.7 outta a redline and like a 15.2 out of a 00-01 auto gt.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Now i am not gonna bash the RL because i like this car, but it is not gonna waste any stock 4.6. Having owned 4 mustangs of various years and having much knowledge of these cars i can comment. Now i have not seen a RL hit 14.7 but most online sources say 15.2 or so. A 96-98 4.6 with the NPI heads and intake run like 14.6-14.9 5 speed. An auto runs around 15.3 to 15.5. Now the 99+ gt's with the upgraded hardware run 14.4-14.7 with an auto. A 5 speed like the Rl has, if u wanna compare apples to apples can run 14.1-14.3 and sometimes 13.9 with an excellent driver. The rl is quick and i like it alot and want one, but it will not waste any 99 or newer gt and the 96-98 4.6's will be closer but there would be no wasting at all. if anything a 99 or newer 5 speed will def put a hurt to a rl

·
Registered
119 Posts
i ran a best of 15.28 at 89mph in a CAVALIER econobox and have been dead even with many 5.0 and 4.6 mustangs. i'm sorry but for the mods you got your car is slow. and a RL will waste your car. there dynoing at 205 to 210 at the front wheels thats about 40 more hp to the wheels than a 4.6 mustang and the saturn is lighter. 94-95 5.0's are rated 215 at the fly and about 175 hp at the rear wheels 96-98 . 4.6's are the same hp but even less torque. so you do the math more power to the ground in a lighter car equals see ya rustang.

·
Registered
119 Posts
don't even get me started on equal competition like Camaro vs. mustang becouse we all know. a mustang is no competition. and as for this thread a RL will own a tib not even close. my car will own a 6speed v6 turdburon

·
Registered
595 Posts
LD9poweredZ24 said:
don't even get me started on equal competition like Camaro vs. mustang becouse we all know. a mustang is no competition. and as for this thread a RL will own a tib not even close. my car will own a 6speed v6 turdburon
Hmmm i wonder why the camaro is no longer??? hmmmmm Maybe because altho stock for stock faster they were poor quality product that didnt sell. No competetion really. Its funny when guys bash mustangs when they been out over 40 years now, there is a reason for that. For what my car is, being an auto its not too shabby. When i see a stock RL keep up with mine we will see. You forget, in your argument over horsepower, that that is not everything. DId u forget about torque? A friend at work owns a 5 speed RSX type S with 200 horses. It is much lighter then my car but even before i had my cams in i took him everytime, 4 times from the line and yes he hung with me but always was behind... but having that huge torque difference does it. My car slow? Yeah its not the fastest but 4 tenths faster then yours and thats a huge difference. It only takes a hundreth or even thousands to be faster!

·
Registered
119 Posts
the rl has been rated 205 at thr fly and has been dynoing 210 hp and 230 lb ft. and let me get a 62mm tb and some cams and my CAVALIER will waste you. my friends got a type -s and i usually take him till about 80 or middle of third then he comes flyin past me. there not really a drag car so no there not the best out the hole but i garantee that it will probably pull on you 3rd gear and up they got crazy top end. we had his up to 140 with 3 peaple in the car and it still had more to go. my buddys cobra is at 7k at 145 so the type -s has more top end than a cobra and definatly more than a auto 4.6 gt. and chevy did away with the camaro becouse it was not selling well due to all the suvs they make and it was aslo taking away from corvette sales. you can find a 98-99 ss for under 10k and it will rape any mustang ever made with the aception of the 03 s/c cobra. i seen one dyno 300rwhp with 90k on the clock must mustangs are blowing smoke by that time. fords gotta run a dohc s/c v8 to compete with chevy's pushrod technology. ever hear of a zr1 dohc 350 built in 1989 and its N/A 405 hp thats better than fords boosted cars. oh and what about the zo6 again n/a 405 hp but its a pushrod 350 thats gets better gas milage than a 280ci ford motor and and puts out about 150hp more than a gt. so n/a vs n/a gm owns ford. and boosted vs boosted gm owns ford. the 2.3 quad 4ho from the early 90's put out more hp than fords turbo 2.3 liter. and i hate to break it to ya but the mustang was super close to being dropped for its replacement the turbocharged probe built by mazda. but tons of mustang fags wrote them and they decided not to pull the plug thats when the came up with that ugly car that you drive in 94. my friend had one 94 5.0 5speed and he was gettin beat by v6 camaro's

·
Registered
119 Posts
and talk about poor quality the mustang has been the same since 78. they just keep uping the price for the same outdated chassis. and the camaro will be back in 06

1 - 20 of 240 Posts