Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
There's a thread over on GenVibe.com that details somebody's iPod mod in their Vibe . . . probably fairly similar in its execution in a Redline. Give me a moment, I'll find the link . . .

LINK it up baby:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=2
http://www.matrixowners.com/forum/about29770.html
http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11993

(I'm not sure which of these is the most helpful, they're all greek to me, I'm NOT an electrically adept person!)

IMHO I think the iPod would fit AND look good in that little storage space to the left of the steering wheel.

Don't forget though that the head units in the RL's claim to have "mp3" capability . . . I don't own my redline yet (soon, soon, I pray) so I haven't tried it out, but it could mean not having to fool around with installing an iPod

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
There's a thread over on GenVibe.com that details somebody's iPod mod in their Vibe . . . probably fairly similar in its execution in a Redline. Give me a moment, I'll find the link . . .

LINK it up baby:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=2
http://www.matrixowners.com/forum/about29770.html
http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11993

(I'm not sure which of these is the most helpful, they're all greek to me, I'm NOT an electrically adept person!)

IMHO I think the iPod would fit AND look good in that little storage space to the left of the steering wheel.

Don't forget though that the head units in the RL's claim to have "mp3" capability . . . I don't own my redline yet (soon, soon, I pray) so I haven't tried it out, but it could mean not having to fool around with installing an iPod
LOL,as a former vibe owner I visit that sit a lot of good info over there thanks.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm a current Vibe owner (base, monotone, sport pkg, m&t, auto, 17" stockers) hoping to upgrade to a Redline so trust me I know the usefulness of the Vibe community; it's a fabulous place.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm not sure if this would work, but I'm under the impression that there could be a set of RCA jacks on the mp3/Xm radios. Well, the ones that aren't equipped with the Xm might have an open set. That's what one of the salesmen told me, I'm not sure if that's gonna be true or not, but maybe worth a check. Also, I know you can get the radio transmitter for the Ipod, my buddy has it set up like that. Just tune to the very top or bottom of the radio frequencies and it picks up the Ipod, cd-changers used to, well, still do, come with that set up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
343 Posts
The radio transmitter things are garbage dont even bother.

I am looking at the back of my radio right now and can tell you that there ar no rca aux inputs

But i do have a Saturn Audi System Schematic and the radio does have three cables (cellular phone mute, remote radio output, and remote radio left output signal)that can be referenced possibly for the ipod install

the pins are typically used for onstar service, and may be able to tap onto the harness and feed to the mono input of onstar.

never played with it but if theres a will theres a way

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
schematic here for cell phone onstar mute

jonboy said:
Amishland, Anyway you can email me that schematic? I would love to hook up the cell phone mute to my hands free cell mount. email [email protected] if you can.

Thanks
Figure it would be nice to share the info with all of you. Diagram does not tell you the exact location of the pin in the harness (ie pin 43 or grey wire) but the schematic should help you figure it out.

hope it works out for you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would venture to guess... Not likely.

I would think onstar would be monophonic, so you'd lose that whole stereo thing. If you think more than one speaker is overkill, go right ahead ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Amish, now I gotta go searching for that thread on taking that cover off around the radio!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
take a flat head screw driver to it and carefully pry, thats how i did it. Just make sure u are carefull not to scratch the cover, i will come off just slowly apply more pressure till it comes off

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the vehicle is not equipped with onstar, is the connection for the cell phone mute still in the harness or is the onstar connections not installed? Anyone have a schematics for the connector on the back of the radio? I cant find the wires in Amish's diagram on my harness.

Thanks again for the diagram, made it easy finding power and acc power wires.

Jonboy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ipod install

you can install an Ipod a lot easier than tearing apart the wiring harness and trying to do a whole bunch of custom wiring. The easiest way is to get a hard wired FM modulator or the Monster Cable Ipod adaptor. I have installed countless numbers of these from nissan sentras to CLK convertables. They work great it just depends on how good the installer is.

Jerry De Francisco
DefVinative Solutions
[email protected]
847-949-7376

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
amishland said:
The radio transmitter things are garbage dont even bother.
Actually, my buddy bought the AirPlay off their site and the damn thing overpowers radio stations when its within 5 feet of the receiver. When we tune it to a blank station I can pick it up in my car over 50 feet away with no distortion. Beyond 55 feet their is distortion when turned up and past 60 ft its garbage. But when it's in the car, you'd think it was a cd its that good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally don't have an ion(yet, hopefully) but I've done a few audio installs in my day. Without the RCA aux out it's going to be tough to be able to get the sound directly through to the HU. Would it be worth it? Simple answer: no. I'd honestly rather spend my time and money on a nice aftermarket deck (but then again, I'm also planning to install a few more aftermarket audio items ;)) Like others have said, FM transmitters are not that bad. If you feel like spending a few bucks, that is. The monster cable one is VERY good. But guess what, at over $100cdn for it... that is what steers me more and more towards an aftermarket deck. I assume most of you prefer a stock, cleaner look, but there are definately trade-offs. Even cheap decks should have some sort of aux rca out. That way you can get a clean signal straight from your headphone jack, or if you can find the cable, I've heard there is one that goes from the dock port into RCA's... YMMV.

I personally have the griffin itrip mini... and short story is: I don't use it. A friend of mine has the monster cable adapter, but it has never appealed to me, not just because of the price, but the wires etc. bother me. It DOES come with a lighter adapter, which is definately nice, but I installed a power inverter, and prefer that any day over having car adapters for my phone, ipod, laptop, etc. etc.

The itrip, in my situation, does not have very good reception. Depending on the way I angle my ipod, I can get alot of interference. The sound is fine for talk shows and low volume listening, if you get decent reception that is. If you are in a busier area, I just never seemed satisfied with it. It was "okay," but nowhere near CD quality IMO. Also, the itrip does cause my mini to use double the power(using tom's math of guessology). I wasn't too concerned about power consumption, as, I have the 2nd gen which has excellent battery life anyway. 8 hrs is more than enough, usually. Needless to say, I've used the thing for about 2 weeks and a total of 20hrs, roughly (used it on a trip to Prince George and back) If you live in an area that isn't too busy, in a smaller city, the thing is pretty decent. The sound is bearable in low traffic area's, but a bit of a hassle to find the right frequency and setup in more congested places. If you don't want to cut into your stock system, or feel like having an aftermarket deck, this one is fine for low volume listening, and is fine for everyday use, as it just sits right on and fits really well, it's easy to take on and off, carry along with you, and use for other things than your car. The monster cable one is actually really good. I haven't had personal experience with it for extended times, but what I've heard it's probably the best FM transmitter you are going to find. Again though, the thing has wires and would probably just be a pain in the ass if you don't use it on longer trips more often. I'm one to not leave things hanging around that would entice someone to steal the car anymore than I have to, and I think that's why I've never lost a stereo... yet. Anyway, get the iTrip simply because it just pops right ontop, clean and sexy, which, IMO, is the only reason why people buy an ipod in the first place ;). (kiddin')

1 - 20 of 29 Posts