Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those using their iPod & the new factory radio with the AUX IN on the front.....

Where do you get a 1 foot BLACK cable to connect it from??

I got a black 6 ft. one already (from Sear's) & that's too long

And the only 1 foot one I found was at Radio Shack, BUT it's White

Any info???

·
Registered
275 Posts
snobrdrdan said:
For those using their iPod & the new factory radio with the AUX IN on the front.....

Where do you get a 1 foot BLACK cable to connect it from??

I got a black 6 ft. one already (from Sear's) & that's too long

And the only 1 foot one I found was at Radio Shack, BUT it's White

Any info???
radioshack =)

i am a proud one foot owner from the headunit to my cup holder, lol

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radio Shack has the BLACK one in 1 foot length???

Like I said...I went to two different Radio Shacks & bought the white/grey one. Looks like crap in the all black interior of my RL though....so now I just wanna know where the black ones are hiding at

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You'll get the best audio quality by using the line-level outputs that are part of the iPod "dock" connector- instead of using the headphone jack (quite simply, the impedance of the headphone jack on the nano is incorrectly matched for most audio line inputs)

I had previously purchased a "Cryo Dock" from Audio Line Out for connecting my Nano's line-outs to my vacuum tube headphone amplifier and I LOVE IT! I was so impressed with the build quality AND improvement in sound quality I ended up buying another one (the "Cotton Dock" ) for connecting my Nano to the newer Black Tie radios.
Works Awesome! and the SQ is very much improved (and with the 90-degree option acts like a "boom" for holding the nano "up" in a convenient vertical position.

Sure it's expensive stuff compared to Radio Shlack...
But worth every penny if you're fussy about SQ
Wop

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Holy SHIT!

It had better sound like they are singing to me in my car for those prices.

I just use a 1 ft White cord from Radio Shack. When I switch head units, I'll switch to a line-in with the controls and everything.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
LOL yea, maybe a bit extravagant for factory car audio.But actually those prices are CHEAP when you consider the high end materials like 5N (99.999%) silver and the silver Cardas connections used.
I'm just not a fan of using the POS headphone amp within the iPod as a pre-amp (and impedance mismatched to boot)
But to each his own...
Just showing you what I use
Wop

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
WopOnTour said:
LOL yea, maybe a bit extravagant for factory car audio.But actually those prices are CHEAP when you consider the high end materials like 5N (99.999%) silver and the silver Cardas connections used.
I'm just not a fan of using the POS headphone amp within the iPod as a pre-amp (and impedance mismatched to boot)
But to each his own...
Just showing you what I use
Wop
Fair enough. if I were using my iPod in a high-end home stereo or had no other options to connect it to my really nice car stereo, I'd definately look into something like this. But since my factory speakers are my limiting factor right now anyways...the radio shack wire will do.

Definately bookmarking that page, though, for when I build a home theater in a few years.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yeah...using the bottom connector of the iPod (forget what it's called) instead of the headphone jack on top is gonna sound better

But most people who are using their iPod with the factory radio don't go to that drastic of a measure & just grab a stereo cable like I did

I mean I don't even really use my iPod in my car anymore....too much of a pain in the butt. I used to have a Alpine HU with iPod interface which worked awesome in my Dakota, but I took it out & sold that HU when I got the RL since I wasn't gonna be driving the Dakota anymore--why leave it sitting there, u know?? And figured I didn't need it in the RL since the factory radio had the input.

But yeah...I just wanted a nice black, short cable in case I did wanna use my iPod....for $5 you can't go wrong

1 - 10 of 10 Posts