Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
yes, it's a bad idea. just because you got away with it before doesn't make it right then or now.

the rear springs are not straight up and down cyllindrical coils. they are egg-shaped with smaller diameter coils at the top and bottom. if you cut off the top or the bottom it won't fit on the perch correctly.

i can't remember if the front springs are like that, but i believe they are...and it really doesn't matter. if you can't cut the rears, why cut the fronts?

if you cut them with a torch or other heat based process, you can damage the temper of the spring, making them either stiff, brittle, or soft.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Do it if you want your car lowered and are too cheap to nut up $200.

Don't do it if you have any concern over your car's handling performance, ride quality, or longevity of your suspension components.

·
Registered
435 Posts
is it a bad idea to cut stock springs to make them like lowering springs? any ideas? please give details thanks.
For Christ sake. Sell your RL and buy a Civic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
buy the megans off ebay they are like 100$ then cut the stock springs and see how much you dont like it then put the megan on and be happy haha.

·
Registered
93 Posts
dont do it the mexricer ... get the springs from zzp and the struts u love the diff in look and the feel of your car if u planing on cutting springs go to the cobolt forums thats where the dumb **** lsj owners are at !!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Yeah dont cut linear rate springs

·
Registered
156 Posts
dont do it the mexricer ... get the springs from zzp and the struts u love the diff in look and the feel of your car if u planing on cutting springs go to the cobolt forums thats where the dumb **** lsj owners are at !!
wheres the like button at?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why cut them? Just take those fuckers off, who needs springs anyway?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
is it a bad idea to cut stock springs to make them like lowering springs? any ideas? please give details thanks.
Yes, its a bad idea. Not just this car, any car. Just do the obvious, and the smartest thing to do: buy lowering springs. I've heard that the Tein springs give you a real nice even drop.

i did it on my srt4. i dont see why not. it worked out fine b4. so r u sure
Oh dear lord.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wheres the like button at?
Cut them and tell us how you like them.

on my srt 4 ....Oh dear lord.[/QUOTE]

Why cut them? Just take those fuckers off, who needs springs anyway?
im working on a slinky conversion kit if you dont want spend $100plus but not held responsible if little kids try to push ur car down stairs

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can't think of a better way to put yourself and everyone driving around you at risk for injury. I had a spare set of s-series springs I sold someone a few years back because the car he bought had cut springs. He hit a decent sized pot hole causing the spring to come unseated and it lodged in his tire almost causing an accident. My wagon had cut springs as well, rode like crap, they were the first things to get replaced

1 - 20 of 31 Posts