Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 non Comp Redline I recently picked up.

The PO had the ecm tuned for #60 injectors, 3" ZZP intake, 3.0 pulley, long tube headers (catless) 93 octane. I installed a ZZP 2.5 cat back with no resonator. I'm only building 9-11 psi of boost at WOT.

I've tried another blower with the same pulley, bypassing the boost solenoid, checking for boost leaks, even bypassing the actuator and I'm still getting the same boost.

Is it possible my exhaust setup is the reason my boost is low

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
Were you seeing more than that prior to the exhaust install?
Intercooler pump working correctly?
What cooling mods do you have?
Location may effect it as well (above sea level, below, etc)

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car was boosting about 15psi before the 2.5 exhaust but this was the exhaust that was on the car

IAT2s never exceeded 140. The aftercooler pump is working great

Only cooling mod is the tank seen in the engine pic

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
Exhaust could be the reason.
Or belt slip at higher rpm maybe. Do you know if it's a stock belt or a stage 2?

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust could be the reason.
Or belt slip at higher rpm maybe. Do you know if it's a stock belt or a stage 2?
I think stage 2

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would a stock belt still fit and be looser running a 3.0 pulley?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2005 non Comp Redline I recently picked up.

The PO had the ecm tuned for #60 injectors, 3" ZZP intake, 3.0 pulley, long tube headers (catless) 93 octane. I installed a ZZP 2.5 cat back with no resonator. I'm only building 9-11 psi of boost at WOT.

I've tried another blower with the same pulley, bypassing the boost solenoid, checking for boost leaks, even bypassing the actuator and I'm still getting the same boost.

Is it possible my exhaust setup is the reason my boost is low
It is definitely your exhaust. As you open the exhaust your Boost will lower. You are not losing horsepower, instead the engine is just running more efficiently. With the increase in efficiency and the #60 injectors I would drop the pulley down to a 2.8 or 2.9 . You will see some Boost increase from that. I went through the exact same thing with my 2006 and ended up running a 2.8

·
Registered
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is definitely your exhaust. As you open the exhaust your Boost will lower. You are not losing horsepower, instead the engine is just running more efficiently. With the increase in efficiency and the #60 injectors I would drop the pulley down to a 2.8 or 2.9 . You will see some Boost increase from that. I went through the exact same thing with my 2006 and ended up running a 2.8
Can I safely drop to a 2.8/2.9 size while on 93 still?

Also only change to my aftercooler system is the Cobra pass thru tank mounted on the passenger side of the engine. I still have the stock end plate, heat exchanger, and pump. However the pump has been replaced and I've never seen my temps go higher than 140

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
you would need a retune for the smaller pulley. But yes, you can still run 93. I was at a 2.7 on my car still on 93.
I would highly recommend getting the dual pass endplate. I did a dual pass, option b, and rebuilt my pump before I did any sort of power mods. The blower is a giant heater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts