Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was not all that hard to do if u are the least bit mechanically inclined.the oil is a little bit cheaper at wall-mart though,anyway it was around $40 for the oil and filter at discount.all i did was remove the 2 bolts that holds that water filler upper thingy i quess for the intercooler, that is right in the way,and i used a 1 1/4 socket i belive and came down from the top with a 3/8 rachet 1/2 is too big,and unbolted the oil filter and put the new one in, around 20min.hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
yeah, i cannot believe they charge so much for it from the dealer! should be like 60 tops considering they get stuff bulk rate...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

May I ask, why did you change your oil with only 677 mi. on the car?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Redlines come with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory...fully synthetic.

Most people will recommend changing your oil sometime between 500-1000 miles (after initial break-in) to get rid of the first batch of crap that comes out. After that, proceed at whatever interval you decide.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea,i will do it again at around 1500 or so, cheep insurance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah it could go 5k but would you really let it go that long? i change my oil every 2000-2500 or when it starts to look a little dirty. but on a brand new car i'd do at least two before 3k. cheap insurance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
lucas is a aditive its really thick and bonds to the metal so its better for cold starts. my friend had a mustang with a carbed 351 bolted to a 5 speed 4 cylinder trans. it was in pieces when he got it and knocked hard at first,but he ran 2 quarts of lucas and 3 quarts of maxlife and the thing stopped knocking and smoking withion a couple hours. for such a piece of shit that car was pretty quick. i think it was the gearing in the 4 banger trans though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ION Owner Manual Page 5-19

Engine Oil Additives

"Do not add anything to your oil. The recommended oils with the starburst symbol that meet GM Standard GM6094M are all you need for good performance and engine protection."

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Hmmmm........$80-$100 at the dealer or $35 to do it yourself.

I think all my oil changes will be DIY. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts