Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done talking with a very knowelegeable (sp forgive me) service manager about the RL while waiting for my oil change and he was saying that the RL can actually handle up to 800 hp. my jaw just dropped, i thought it was only up to 500 hp. damn if we can get like 600 hp easy out of this car we can run like 7-8 sec times like the saturn chick huh? (im not real sure on the 1/4 times just a guess) We could take on some sick ass races and they would have no damn idea what hit them.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ummm... I think he's just taking the numbers from the dragster and assuming that its the same engine... there's parts that need to be changed before that can happen...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so then w/o haveing to replace any parts we can handle up to ""500"" hp?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
our cars would melt...

in my cav i had the 2.2 ecotec and i heard rumors about over 50% stock parts in the drag engine. yes its super impressive, but why would you want to push your girl to death, id rather build it right and have it running better and longer than playing roulette with a 23k car. :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Also our clutches aren't rated past 300 ft/lbs, I heard somewhere

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hell no i would want to kill her, shit i just got her, i just saying that with very few upgrades to the engine we can have close to that much, but hell why want 500 when some where around 350-400 would be unbelievable. hell we could get some bad ass times with that much. at like 210 or so we already have times in the low 14's almost high 13's thats pretty damn good in my eyes. i was watching v8's pulling 450 hp and they were only pulling round mid 14's and there reaction was like .09 or so.

·
Registered
541 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
our cars would melt...

in my cav i had the 2.2 ecotec and i heard rumors about over 50% stock parts in the drag engine. yes its super impressive, but why would you want to push your girl to death, id rather build it right and have it running better and longer than playing roulette with a 23k car. :)
Actually, as I understood it the salt flats racer was up around 1000hp, on the stock bottom end. The changed the cam, heads, deleted the SC and replaced it with the turbo, and modified the Exhaust......IF I remember correctly??!!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so in all ya all opionions which is better the turbo or s/c?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
ptparker said:
Also our clutches aren't rated past 300 ft/lbs, I heard somewhere
I think our CLUTCH is the stage 2 clutch from GM, VERY strong, can handle power; the question is how much can the rest of the drive line (i.e. trans, axles, etc.) handle before it goes "boom". The clutch & the motor are going to be just fine with a good amount of power squeezing through them, it's everything on the other side that I'd be worried about.

·
Registered
541 Posts
pclear9061 said:
so in all ya all opionions which is better the turbo or s/c?

I am waiting to go with the dual (twin charging) set up. I love the immediate throttle response offered by the SC, the problem is it doesn't do a lot for the higher RPMs. Except on our cars where we are still building great power at redline.....

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also with the twin charging what about the reverse swirl? isnt there a swirl? i dunno but what is the chance that the turbo that we could get would counter act the s/c visa versa.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
pclear9061 said:
also with the twin charging what about the reverse swirl? isnt there a swirl? i dunno but what is the chance that the turbo that we could get would counter act the s/c visa versa.

Not quite sure about the "swirl" you are talking about.....On the twin charging set up (which has been used with great results for years) the SC and turbo work in conjunction. The SC would handle the lower to mid, and the turbo would handle most of the mid to high rpm ranges. We had a long topic going on about it for quite awhile, a ways back....

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hell i need to win the lotto

1 - 15 of 15 Posts