Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installation took about 1 1/2 hours. Supercharger is ALOT louder, sounds great. Had a few problems at first probably because I didn't disconnect the negative cable after the install. I just finished doing it and it seems to be running normal again. I'll post some pics and video so you can hear and see the difference later on today.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Alright cool. Did you do the "Barry's intake mod"? If so, is the supercharger even louder than that??? Man, this is cool. Can't wait til we all get it from the K&N group intake buy.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
djfreefall said:
Installation took about 1 1/2 hours. Supercharger is ALOT louder, sounds great. Had a few problems at first probably because I didn't disconnect the negative cable after the install. I just finished doing it and it seems to be running normal again. I'll post some pics and video so you can hear and see the difference later on today.

Mine is on the UPS truck, out for delivery today. Any tips or advice to make the install easier?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The techs at my dealership (saturn of orlando) did my installation. You'll have to use a jack or lift for the installation, because you have to remove the left tire. It didnt look overly complicated, but I guess if you dont have the right tools it would prob the delay the installation time.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Redline686 said:
Alright cool. Did you do the "Barry's intake mod"? If so, is the supercharger even louder than that??? Man, this is cool. Can't wait til we all get it from the K&N group intake buy.

We did my install and it sounds even louder than the intake mod. This K&N will turn heads from the noise when you get on it. Almost sounds like a sport bike when you really want to go, but it is not noticable if accelerating slowly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
rlinbatonrouge said:
We did my install and it sounds even louder than the intake mod. This K&N will turn heads from the noise when you get on it. Almost sounds like a sport bike when you really want to go, but it is not noticable if accelerating slowly.

Hey, when you first nailed it, how much HP gain would you honestly guesstimate judging from the ass dyno???
Also, if you don't disconnect the battery, it will give driveability symptoms?

Freefall - How long did you leave the batt. for...just a few minutes? Now, no side effects at all???

Also, where is the filter element located once it's installed? I have yet to come across a pic after installation.

Thanks,
sean

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the filter is in the fender just in front of the left front tire. It is where the stock snorkle goes I believe. It's hard to see by just lifting up the hood.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Can you feel a difference in the pull of the car? That's great that it makes the S/C louder but I'm more interested in the performance gains from this thing.

Get to a dyno soon if possible too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
everywhere i go people are tellin me you should expect 8-15 hp gains with a CAI, but i dont think a dyno sheet exists to show the difference :confused:

·
Banned
572 Posts
you guys how much was it???? i'd rather have my custom intake no removing the tire and the intake is still in the front bumper iam gonna post some pics up on the weekend.
i love penny pinching and getting the same results as name brand!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just installed my K&N CAI yesterday. Took about 4 hours (with a few breaks in there). But definitly worth it. The supercharger is CRAZY loud, it overpowers the sound of the exhaust now (but thats only when you're flooring it). Pulls a lot harder. And as a bonus, my gas mileage is better! Made it all the way to work and back (17 miles each way) on less then a quarter, and that was with driving fast and testing out the new intake ;) I never would have made it that far without the gas light popping up before.

It was definitly fun driving out of the underground parking structure and hearing it echo off the walls. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
Just installed my K&N CAI yesterday. Took about 4 hours (with a few breaks in there). But definitly worth it. The supercharger is CRAZY loud, it overpowers the sound of the exhaust now (but thats only when you're flooring it). Pulls a lot harder. And as a bonus, my gas mileage is better! Made it all the way to work and back (17 miles each way) on less then a quarter, and that was with driving fast and testing out the new intake ;) I never would have made it that far without the gas light popping up before.

It was definitly fun driving out of the underground parking structure and hearing it echo off the walls. :cool:
I cant wait to order mine in a few weeks

·
Registered
125 Posts
BlckRdln04 said:
This is the perfect example of how our cars are so under rated by GM. The HP without the CAI is showing a peak of around 205. Look at the following dyno for an 02 Acura RSX Type-S which has a rated crank HP of 200. It is showing up as 168 peak wheel HP. That's a 16% loss through the drivetrain http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-1009.jpg

The 205 HP shown on the Redline dyno is wheel HP, just like the RSX Type-S, which means our cars should be rated by GM at around 235 HP stock! Look at every other dyno that K&N displays and you will see around a 15% drop from the manufacturers stated HP rating, except for the ION Redline. I didn't see an SRT-4 listed on the site, but would be interesting to see what K&N would record for that car and how it compares to the stated HP for that car.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Gary Perez said:
This is the perfect example of how our cars are so under rated by GM. The HP without the CAI is showing a peak of around 205. Look at the following dyno for an 02 Acura RSX Type-S which has a rated crank HP of 200. It is showing up as 168 peak wheel HP. That's a 16% loss through the drivetrain http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-1009.jpg
It looks like those graphs are still peaking after the 168 hp all the way until about 180. K&N just labeled a couple of close points to point out the largest gain. It's still overrated though, but not by the 16%.

Also, anyone that has installed this, what exactly needs to be modified to get the CAI in there? Can the car be returned to stock later on, meaning I don't have to modify or break anything? I want to install this, but since mine is a lease, I'm going to have to return it back to stock in 3 years...

·
Registered
125 Posts
jpapa said:
It looks like those graphs are still peaking after the 168 hp all the way until about 180. K&N just labeled a couple of close points to point out the largest gain. It's still overrated though, but not by the 16%.

Also, anyone that has installed this, what exactly needs to be modified to get the CAI in there? Can the car be returned to stock later on, meaning I don't have to modify or break anything? I want to install this, but since mine is a lease, I'm going to have to return it back to stock in 3 years...
Well, yes. But the 180 HP peak is with the CAI, and I was comparing stock numbers because it's stock numbers that the manufacturer reports.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts