Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a 14" oval Magnaflow w/ 2.5" inlet and outlet.

I decided to leave the resonator on and am definitely glad I did. It's considerably LOUDER now even with it still on. I also got the last piece of piping before the muffler (the only one that stepped down to 2.25") replaced with a 2.5" pipe as well.

It sounds real mean. After he installed it, he let me hear it. He said if I had the resonator taken off that it would get way louder and higher in pitch. I kinda like the lower, grumbling tone it has right now.

As for performance difference, it seems to be a bit peppier. I couldn't really tell becuase 1. I had my kids with me and 2. I sat in traffic half the way home. It does feel a bit quicker but nothing to write home about. I'm sure that teamed up with the SCdyne header and an intake would give some improvement worth talking about though.

I drove home with the windows down so I could hear her grumble on the way home. :D

I also get A LOT more looks as I'm cruising because of the increased engine noise. :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's awesome man! How much did the whole job cost ya? I'm going to do a custom exhaust also, in the spring. When it's nice here in PA.

I like the low rumbling of the exhaust. I can't wait for a setup of my own.

Does your car back-fire more now with the exhaust? I can imagine you must have got some performance gains, I mean did you look at the stock muffler when it was off your car? LoL.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Post the audio first, the pictures can wait!

·
Registered
609 Posts
My dad has dual maganaflows on his also. The sound is definatly better, really low sounding when your inside the car. When your outside of the car it still kinda has that ricy kinda sound. Sounds like the stock rumble just alot lower and louder. Im gonna do it a lil after xmas, after i get the header in. :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HersheyRedLine said:
That's awesome man! How much did the whole job cost ya? I'm going to do a custom exhaust also, in the spring. When it's nice here in PA.

I like the low rumbling of the exhaust. I can't wait for a setup of my own.

Does your car back-fire more now with the exhaust? I can imagine you must have got some performance gains, I mean did you look at the stock muffler when it was off your car? LoL.

I got the one piece that was 2.25 changed to 2.5 and the magnaflow installed for $148 w/ tax and labor and all. They were able to use the stock chrome tip as well so I saved a lil' $$$ there as well. I went to a shop that my neighbor recommended (he hops up imports). They did a nice job on the welds.

Yeah, that stock muffler was a friggin' beast. LOL!!! I get the rumbling backfire after I punch it hard and then let off. Very cool effect indeed.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loumoll said:
Post the audio first, the pictures can wait!
Man, I don't know if I have enough cord to get the mic into the garage LOL! I'll see what I can do. No promises though.

It sounds good in neutral reving but it sounds best as you're running through the gears going down the road.

Man, this thing screams at people as you pass them now. :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Redlinekid_04 said:
My dad has dual maganaflows on his also. The sound is definatly better, really low sounding when your inside the car. When your outside of the car it still kinda has that ricy kinda sound. Sounds like the stock rumble just alot lower and louder. Im gonna do it a lil after xmas, after i get the header in. :D

I'd love to hear your Dad's dual set up. I'll bet it sounds awesome.

Did he go with 2.5" piping on each side or step up to 3"?

·
Registered
609 Posts
He kept the stock pipes but got a custom y welded to branch off for 2 mufflers, then they cut out the exact same little inlet on the other side so it looks stock. I think just one magnaflow will be louder tho, the air wont have to travel thru the y and then branch off to 2 different mufflers. Im just gonna do the muffler and maybe 2 1/2to 2 3/4.. Not sure yet tho...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Redlinekid_04 said:
He kept the stock pipes but got a custom y welded to branch off for 2 mufflers, then they cut out the exact same little inlet on the other side so it looks stock. I think just on magnaflow will be louder tho, the air wont have to travel thru the y and then branch off to 2 different mufflers. Im just gonna do the muffler and maybe 2 1/2to 2 3/4.. Not sure yet tho...

If you just wanna go 2.5" then there is only one 2-3 ft section of piping you need to upsize. Almost the entire system is 2.5" except for that last section right before the muffler.

BTW- I'm uploading some audio of mine as I type. :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got to drive the car by myself last night and I have to say that there is a power improvement. The car definitely is a little quicker and more responsive now. Nothing major, but enough to notice the difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sweet! I can't wait to do my own exhaust now. I think I may go with the dynomax ultraflo SS, I put them on my SHO & z-28 and both gave me a great sound/performance improvment. I'll have to do some shopping around!! Great job JPK

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes i agree on the performance gain. Just from the mufflers my dad had a nice little punch. I can only imagine more from 2 1/2. I also heard the supercharger whistle a lil more, loved it. :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Duals

Redlinekid 04,What did your dad use to cut out the back of his car.And also where did he split into pipeing for the duals.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
im not too sure as to whether of not this is an intelligent post or not.....but what about the cat? is ours high flow as it is, or would it be better to replace it with a higher flowing one?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
xtremesc2 said:
im not too sure as to whether of not this is an intelligent post or not.....but what about the cat? is ours high flow as it is, or would it be better to replace it with a higher flowing one?

Stock CAT is high flow.

Really, it's the muffler that's restricting the exhaust system. Crawl under your car and take a look at that thing LOL! :) Also that one piece of pipe that's stepped down to 2.25" as well.

All I had were those two things replaced and made a difference. Once I get the header and an intake..............woooooohooooooo!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
the stock cat may be high flow, but if the rest of the system is 2.5" it will be a restriction. i got an obd2 compliant cat from summit for 50 bucks.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
northeast214 said:
the stock cat may be high flow, but if the rest of the system is 2.5" it will be a restriction. i got an obd2 compliant cat from summit for 50 bucks.

Hmmmmm. I'll look into that. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts