Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a redline owner but I have surfed this forum for a little while. You may have seen my name browsing but I never really posted until now.

I own a 2002 cavalier ls sport with a 2.2 ecotec. I recently purchased a complte saturn ion redline engine from a salvage yard which should be here on monday. I have intentions of using the supercharger assembly and necessary components to do the swap.

Anyways I'll probably be posting more frequently now, I'm sure some of the modifications that you guys will be doing will be simialr to mine. Possibly considering a pulley system from pulley boys for the charger and increasing the boost after it's all setup.

Wish me luck, I'm hoping everything goes fairly smoothly.
Seems as though it will take forever for the GM supercharger to actually come out and I'm probably saving a great deal of money doing it this way as well.

I'm curious as to what kind of numbers I'll put down in comparison to you guys. .2 liters won't make a huge difference but our compression ratios are also different.

I'm anxious to get this engine and do the install... not sure how long it will take but the sooner the better :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a project I want to see! Good luck with that, let us know how it's proceeding. You shouldn't have TOO many problems though, because if my memory serves, all of the parts for the Ecotec are supposed to be modular. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
one quesiton brother! you got a manual??????????????????????????? u need one to hold that power auto will go like a box of lucky charms :( and im not sure the tranny differences between redline and stock 2.2 but i would look into that cus u may need a better clutch if so. Other than that gl wish ya luck send lots of pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
That sounds like it is going to be pretty badass. Make sure you take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's a manual transmission. With an intake and my fairly heavy 17" wheels I ran a 15.6 @ 88

The autos in our cars actually take a fair amout of hp. With my turbo sunfire it held up longer than the engine did. The manuals don't seem to have a problem holding the extra power. I've seen many break into the 13's with nitrous on the stock clutch and one person I know has a stock clutch and he runs a 12.9 @107 in his turbo cavalier.

I'm really anxious to put the charger on. I'll probably order a greddy emanage sometime this week for fuel management and use the stock redline injectors/fuel rail. What size are the stock injectors, I've heard about 36# Just ordered some gauges from summit as well.

I'll definietly be taking pictures and keeping you guys updated if you'd like. With my slighty higher displacement, higher compression, slightly lighter car and the same boost level as you guys I'm really hoping to hit low 14's or better before I up the boost.

But only time will tell, sooner the better :)

I also have a greddy rebic III sub injector controller laying around that I may end up using to control a water injection setup as well. That will come later though, not my main concern at the moment.

I'll have pics hopefully tomorrow of the engine.

Doh this is going to bump me into Street Mod (the money class) for AutoX Definietly worth it though

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Awesome, someone that is going to tear the engine apart, hook up all manner of ill-advised fuel management systems, all those things that regular folk are nervous about doing to their daily driver. I salute you! Let us know how things are going, particuarly success with your mods!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Where you located at there??

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
So your going to keep it a 2.2 I assume swap over the head and supercharger assembly of course the intercooler. Man that would be a heavy hitter with all kinds of torque. Your looking in the 250s just from the swap. Man thats nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spooner... I'm in Ortonville Michigan

Goofyguy, yeah that's the plan. I have a heat exchanger made to be an intercooler on it's way. Hope to have that by month end.

Like I said, should be fun :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts