Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday night a buddy of mine in his Cobalt SS turbo Stage 1 with LDK wanted to race and see how much he would beat me by so we decided to do a 45mph pull.

He was blown away by how hard my stage 2 kit pulled, at the shift into 3rd the back of his car was about in line with my front wheels and then at the shift into 4th (about 110-115mph) there was about a car length in between me and him. Even though I lost, I was blown away with how well my car matched up. These LSJ motors can really surprise you.

It was about 80F and moderate humidity.

My Car: 2004 Redline, K&N CAI, ZZP Long Tube Header, 3" Header to Tip Exhaust, GM Stage 2 Injectors and Tune 3.07" Pulley, Working Rewired Intercooler Pump

His Car: 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo LDK, Upgraded MAP sensors and Custom Stage 1 Retune, After Market Exhaust (Not sure what size).

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I did not know that the stage 1 turbo produces 290 HP :silly:

-- lots of power in those cobalts

that's also got a more advance fuel injection system -

according to GM performance

Don't forget the GM Stage 2 is no weakling

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I just saw your car in albums- nice

how did ya get that boost gauge - they were available

in 2004?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I did not know that the stage 1 turbo produces 290 HP :silly:

-- lots of power in those cobalts

that's also got a more advance fuel injection system -

according to GM performance

Don't forget the GM Stage 2 is no weakling
The Cobalt LNF engine has Direct-Injection and Variable-Valve Timing in addition to the turbo. The LSJ loses a lot of horsepower due to the drag imposed by the supercharger pulley. In short, the LNF is much more efficient.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I just saw your car in albums- nice

how did ya get that boost gauge - they were available

in 2004?
Those boost gauges came with the comp package, which started mid 2005. They weren't available from the factory on the 2004, but you could buy one and install it yourself. I'm pretty sure you had to mess with the wiring harness, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those boost gauges came with the comp package, which started mid 2005. They weren't available from the factory on the 2004, but you could buy one and install it yourself. I'm pretty sure you had to mess with the wiring harness, though.
Yeah the previous owner was nice enough to have one of those installed awhile back, really looks nice compared to without it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was really surprised, however, when I purchased the car that no one had fixed the intercooler pump yet. Especially given the 3" exhaust and CAI. That was one of the first things I fixed, then added the 2004 front mount from Powell. Can't wait for the temps to drop to about 60F.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cobalt LNF engine has Direct-Injection and Variable-Valve Timing in addition to the turbo. The LSJ loses a lot of horsepower due to the drag imposed by the supercharger pulley. In short, the LNF is much more efficient.
Yeah I have read somewhere that the m62 can pull upwards of 40-50hp from the crank pulley under high boost. That's where your turbo helps, generates "more power" per amount of fuel. Technically the LSJ produce like 250hp stock, the supercharger just robs 45hp and that's where they get the useable crank power of 205hp. For fuel milage though, the supercharger can essentially be turned off as well as injectors when decelerating, a turbo would need consistent exhaust gases to have boost readily available. That's why the LSJ cars aren't terribly lower in MPG than the LNF

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah I was really surprised, however, when I purchased the car that no one had fixed the intercooler pump yet. Especially given the 3" exhaust and CAI. That was one of the first things I fixed, then added the 2004 front mount from Powell. Can't wait for the temps to drop to about 60F.
How'd ya know that you needed the inter cooler pump

replaced - what symptoms - I know there is a tech diagnosis

way but just wondering if you experienced it by the symptoms

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah I have read somewhere that the m62 can pull upwards of 40-50hp from the crank pulley under high boost. That's where your turbo helps, generates "more power" per amount of fuel. Technically the LSJ produce like 250hp stock, the supercharger just robs 45hp and that's where they get the useable crank power of 205hp. For fuel milage though, the supercharger can essentially be turned off as well as injectors when decelerating, a turbo would need consistent exhaust gases to have boost readily available. That's why the LSJ cars aren't terribly lower in MPG than the LNF
I would argue (from the race with the Turbo Cobalt) that the

Saturn Ion Redline may be better at streamlining and can make up for some

that HP lost by the supercharger - this may have been why you were able

to come close to the Cobalt's higher speed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How'd ya know that you needed the inter cooler pump

replaced - what symptoms - I know there is a tech diagnosis

way but just wondering if you experienced it by the symptoms
A couple 90F+ days and I noticed alot of heatsoak, so I thought I'd check it.

The easiest way to tell is to turn the car on, then wait 10s and remove the intercooler coolant cap, if you squeeze the hose to the left going to the endplate you should see the fluid gain turbulence and swirl. Easiest way I know of to check it. Mine wasn't working at all(was wired backwards because 2004), checked my father's 2006 as well and his wasn't working as well. Got them both fixed though, makes a difference

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

The easiest way to tell is to turn the car on, then wait 10s and remove the intercooler coolant cap, if you squeeze the hose to the left going to the endplate you should see the fluid gain turbulence and swirl. Easiest way I know of to check it. Mine wasn't working at all(was wired backwards because 2004), checked my father's 2006 as well and his wasn't working as well. Got them both fixed though, makes a difference

I just had mine checked at GM service center - had them check

my stage 2 set up too - but I will still be checking ICP again soon, thanks

You sound like you know more about this then me , for sure, but I do experience

the heatsoak problem - I guess,, I get all kinds of trouble when it gets hot - >90F.

I don't even like to turn the A/C on because it throws another wrench in there

(I had my A/C checked and they says its all ok) ..

I also get a surge or fluctuation in the rpms (550-800) when coming to a stop on Hot days

with or without the A/C.

At first I thought it was because of a problem with the A/C.

But recently I had the same problem when it was cooler here - about 70 degrees

and this has got me thinking different now.

The performance is pretty good and I would say I probably can do better than 0-60

in 6 seconds.

My only reasoning regarding this is that IRL is sensitive

to external conditions.

She does not like Humidity, Rain, Sun, Heat, and Heavy Traffic.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

If you have the stock filler neck you should have to squeeze the tube. If you remove the cap there should be fluid at the bottom of the neck. If there isn't you are low. Fill it till it's showing. Start the car and watch for the fluid to flow, you will be able to tell. If you have optionB you can see the fluid flowing back to container. If you are low you are forcing air threw and it will get hot.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you have the stock filler neck you should have to squeeze the tube. If you remove the cap there should be fluid at the bottom of the neck. If there isn't you are low. Fill it till it's showing. Start the car and watch for the fluid to flow, you will be able to tell. If you have optionB you can see the fluid flowing back to container. If you are low you are forcing air threw and it will get hot.
I'll have to try that as well

because I'm not sure if they checked it right at the service center

they are often in such rush in these places

Next time I will ask how they check it

but they did say they filled mine a little so I guess they got it right

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had mine checked at GM service center - had them check

my stage 2 set up too - but I will still be checking ICP again soon, thanks

You sound like you know more about this then me , for sure, but I do experience

the heatsoak problem - I guess,, I get all kinds of trouble when it gets hot - >90F.

I don't even like to turn the A/C on because it throws another wrench in there

(I had my A/C checked and they says its all ok) ..

I also get a surge or fluctuation in the rpms (550-800) when coming to a stop on Hot days

with or without the A/C.

At first I thought it was because of a problem with the A/C.

But recently I had the same problem when it was cooler here - about 70 degrees

and this has got me thinking different now.

The performance is pretty good and I would say I probably can do better than 0-60

in 6 seconds.

My only reasoning regarding this is that IRL is sensitive

to external conditions.

She does not like Humidity, Rain, Sun, Heat, and Heavy Traffic.
You may also want to try cleaning your throttle body and mass air flow sensor and let the computer recalibrate. I am sure someone has a good tutorial on here somewhere, I cleaned mine and it fixed most of the surging I had.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You may also want to try cleaning your throttle body and mass air flow sensor and let the computer recalibrate. I am sure someone has a good tutorial on here somewhere, I cleaned mine and it fixed most of the surging I had.
I would like to try that - not sure If I have the time

I might have to have them do it at GM service because I don't

really trust this car at any other place anymore.

I am also going to give it another try with the less temps outside

because the surge has disappeared now for about a week.

I know at GM - when I was there for my Mobile 1 change, they

said throttle body cleaned at 25-30 k miles - and I just had mine

cleaned 10 k ago - - -

1 - 19 of 19 Posts