Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if K&N sells one for the RL? I went to there site, but I don't see the RL listed specifically, although I see a 2.0 Liter Ion listed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
spswebpage.com has a filter for us....aside from that nothin.

i emailed K&N and they told me they didnt know which one it was, so sps must have just figured it out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xtremesc2 said:
spswebpage.com has a filter for us....aside from that nothin.

i emailed K&N and they told me they didnt know which one it was, so sps must have just figured it out.
Thanks xtremesc2, I ordered it from these guys, and should get it Monday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xtremesc2 said:
let us know how it works out for u.
I got the air filter today, and installed it this evening. What a pain in the ass!! The radiator hose and battery ground are in the way, and it is extremely difficult to get the top part of the filter compartment out even after completely removing the intake hose. Alas, after much cussing and swearing, I have a new K&N air filter. I took it for a drive afterward, and it could be psychological, but it seemed more willing to chirp the tires in second while not trying very hard.

For your information, the filter that SPS sells you is K&N part number E-1009 and includes a hose clamp to tighten to make it fit snug, otherwise it would fall off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at the air box the other day and was thinking to myself that switching filters seems like a PIDB. Nothing easy like the s-series cars. Anyways, did the new filter change the sound at all?

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom01SC2 said:
Yeah, I was looking at the air box the other day and was thinking to myself that switching filters seems like a PIDB. Nothing easy like the s-series cars. Anyways, did the new filter change the sound at all?

Tom
A friend that was riding in the car told me it sounded throatier. I might notice a slight difference in the sound myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gary Perez said:
A friend that was riding in the car told me it sounded throatier. I might notice a slight difference in the sound myself.
Hay Gary i ordered one as soon as you told me where to find it.
it has been a week and no delivery yet.
how did the oil change go?
i,m thinking of going over to the royal purple 5w30
but it is up to $2 a quart more for this. i still thinking?
good day

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I was thinking of getting a K&N filter for mine but don't know if I should wait to see how soon we get a CAI for this thing. I don't really want to spend $60 for a filter if I can later put that money towards a CAI. Especially with it being such a pain in the ass to change out.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Kev, thanks for the info on the oil change process. I bought some Rhino ramps and it went well, thanks. Yes, the filter is a bitch to get out, but I managed. I had bought a Fram filter for the oil change, but when removing the GM filter, I think the GM filter looks better put together IMO.

As for the K&N, I bought that because the filter box seems to already be very low in the engine compartment, so I'm not sure how much better a CAI will do, and I would at least want to keep my car "looking" stock. My butt dyno seems to notice a very slight difference in power, but who knows considering that I changed the filter during the break-in period and I wasn't hammering it all the time. I am now off the break-in period and having fun with the car, and confirmed from a previous post that, yes, the car does get slightly over 60 MPH in second before hitting the rev limiter. :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Gary Perez said:
Hey Kev, thanks for the info on the oil change process. I bought some Rhino ramps and it went well, thanks. Yes, the filter is a bitch to get out, but I managed. I had bought a Fram filter for the oil change, but when removing the GM filter, I think the GM filter looks better put together IMO.

As for the K&N, I bought that because the filter box seems to already be very low in the engine compartment, so I'm not sure how much better a CAI will do, and I would at least want to keep my car "looking" stock. My butt dyno seems to notice a very slight difference in power, but who knows considering that I changed the filter during the break-in period and I wasn't hammering it all the time. I am now off the break-in period and having fun with the car, and confirmed from a previous post that, yes, the car does get slightly over 60 MPH in second before hitting the rev limiter. :)

I was looking at it and noticed that about the filter box too.

Anyone know if how much improvement(if any) a CAI would be?

I may just spring for the K&N soon instead of waiting for a CAI.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gary Perez said:
I got the air filter today, and installed it this evening. What a pain in the ass!! The radiator hose and battery ground are in the way, and it is extremely difficult to get the top part of the filter compartment out even after completely removing the intake hose. Alas, after much cussing and swearing, I have a new K&N air filter. I took it for a drive afterward, and it could be psychological, but it seemed more willing to chirp the tires in second while not trying very hard.

For your information, the filter that SPS sells you is K&N part number E-1009 and includes a hose clamp to tighten to make it fit snug, otherwise it would fall off.
I just got mine in the mail today... and your right, looks like its gonna be a pain to install.

Did you install it from the top or bottom? I'm thinkin it might be easier to jack the car up and do it from underneath...

·
Registered
98 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
I just got mine in the mail today... and your right, looks like its gonna be a pain to install.

Did you install it from the top or bottom? I'm thinkin it might be easier to jack the car up and do it from underneath...
my filter was finally delivered two days ago.
it took two weeks to get it.
i will try to install on this weekend 11/20
i'll see how it goes.
good day :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you've got the right idea, JPK. I would'nt want to cough-up money when I start lookin for a good intake. Besides, once you find a decent cold air intake, you'll probably want a K&N cone style filter. Let me know if you cand find a reasonable CAI. Thanks...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey guys, I also have a K&N Filter in my redline. I did notice it sucking air in a little more. Slight sound increase, but you start to not even notice it after a week.

It was definately a tricky task to install. Just had to fiddle around in the engine compartment and bend things funny ways.

On thing you guys might have noticed is where the stock intake tubing resides before getting to the filter box. It sits in the side of the fender well, almost completely covered up. This is really just to keep water from splashing up in there. I think it definately would help to reroute the intake hose out of that compartment and rest it next to the air dam. More direct airflow. It may not make a big difference but it's worth a shot if you live in a nice area. (Unlike me).

Anyone dyno'd their redline with the K&N filter in it? Curious about the results.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
cyrix said:
I think you've got the right idea, JPK. I would'nt want to cough-up money when I start lookin for a good intake. Besides, once you find a decent cold air intake, you'll probably want a K&N cone style filter. Let me know if you cand find a reasonable CAI. Thanks...

AEM is making a Short Ram for the Redline. Supposedly coming real soon. They've got it listed on their site but it says "Coming Soon".

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
JPK said:
AEM is making a Short Ram for the Redline. Supposedly coming real soon. They've got it listed on their site but it says "Coming Soon".
just checked today, not much of a gain with it, but it is better than stock, look here

AEM Intake

i'd like to see this on a real world dyno though

seems like we're just waiting on CARB certification so it's 50 state legal. good thing is at my dealer, they told me it won't void the warranty on anything except the parts changed (i've known this but it is reassuring to hear from them), so i don't have to worry about them not fixing something unrelated, like the transmission, for me putting on an intake!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Vita said:
just checked today, not much of a gain with it, but it is better than stock, look here

AEM Intake

i'd like to see this on a real world dyno though

seems like we're just waiting on CARB certification so it's 50 state legal. good thing is at my dealer, they told me it won't void the warranty on anything except the parts changed (i've known this but it is reassuring to hear from them), so i don't have to worry about them not fixing something unrelated, like the transmission, for me putting on an intake!
Can someone post the gains? I don't have ADOBE on my work computer. Stupid machine, we upgraded and I got a sweet computer but lost ADOBE...

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts