Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is better for our cars the K&N CAI or the AEM short ram intake. What are the Pros. and Cons. of both?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
K & N way better from what i learned plain simple

cold air: colder air= more hp!!! (alot more compared to short ram) 10 to 15hp

short ram: more sound (supercharger) and a few ponies 3 to 6 hp

cold air cons: water getting sucked into engine=dead car (K & N comes with drycharger to keep water out except for you being stupid and driving thru ponds :p )

short ram: barely any HP nothing but hot engine air (super hot supercharger)

now go get a K&N already, Vita probably has a few left if you want one for 250 shipped ;) thats 50 off the sell price so "get errr done"

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sounds like a K&N salesman.....there's no real source for hot air with the short ram, and no significant power gain by the K&N over the short ram - it's a judgement call.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
cold air cons: water getting sucked into engine=dead car (K & N comes with drycharger to keep water out except for you being stupid and driving thru ponds
You are more likely to suck water into your stock intake than you are the K&N. The stock air duct is at a lower point than the K&N filter is.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
max_boost said:
You are more likely to suck water into your stock intake than you are the K&N. The stock air duct is at a lower point than the K&N filter is.
very true. and i've got a couple left at 225 + shipping which comes to be below 240 shipped anywhere, maybe a couple extra bucks into canada via UPS

i'd say go with the K&N, it's a quality piece and you'll never hydrolock unless you try and use it as a raft, but i'm sure the AEM is nice. i just prefer a cold air intake over short ram because there is no way the air near the engine is as cool as the air in the fenderwell.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Unless you've removed part of the goofy "4x4 skid plate" at the corner where the air can come in....there's no real heat generating source, like an exhaust manifold or an alternator or AC compressor anywhere near the short intake's filter...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Unless you've removed part of the goofy "4x4 skid plate" at the corner where the air can come in....there's no real heat generating source, like an exhaust manifold or an alternator or AC compressor anywhere near the short intake's filter...
i just feel that since it's nearer the engine, it's more likely to draw in warmer air at idle than the K&N, while moving, it probably doesn't make a difference, unless you want to account for tube length and fluid dynamics which i won't try to get into

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The car comes with a factory 'cold air' style intake. So anyone that's worried about water, you have at least as much of a chance with the stocker. If you're in water up to the top of your front tires, you have bigger issues at hand. The cold air/warm air thing, I've yet to see a technical review of the two types, in print or on the web, that actually say the difference is in the temp of the air. Everything I read about CAI's elude to the fact that they place them in higher air pressure zones of the car. I looked online for almost an entire day, and found dozens of explanations based on this fact. Is it true? I don't know, but there are a ton of places handing out this same info, and I'm not talking about places like K&N that sell the product. At the end of the day, the difference between them can't be more than a few horsepower. So, buy which ever one you like. It's not gonna make that much of a difference, the main reason I went with the K&N, it was available first. That, and I've been using K&N products since I was working on my old Kawasaki dirt bike in like 1992.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can get a Weapon-R for $211.00. It lists for $290.00 But since I work at Saturn I get a discount for $211.00 Should I go with the K&N CAI or the Weapon-R CAI???

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i could be wrong but i didnt think the weapon r one was a cold air like the k&n one was. the k&n has really nice filter placement so it cant get really wet in the rain. correct me on this if i am wrong cause i am a weapon dealer and would like to use it on my car also if it is similar to the k&n

·
Registered
70 Posts
What about the servicability of the filter? Do you want to make for a more difficult access to the filter than the stock already is.
At least with the short intake and airbox removed, it should make for an easier access to the filter for cleaning (the true beauty of a K & N type filter).
I already have a K & N CAI (still in box) - thinking about cutting it right below the mass airflow to make it into a short.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
pac.blue.RL said:
What about the servicability of the filter? Do you want to make for a more difficult access to the filter than the stock already is.
At least with the short intake and airbox removed, it should make for an easier access to the filter for cleaning (the true beauty of a K & N type filter).
I already have a K & N CAI (still in box) - thinking about cutting it right below the mass airflow to make it into a short.
it only takes about 4 or 5 plastic rivets, and two bolts to get to the filter, really isn't bad at all. nevermind, the wheel needs to be removed, but it's still not a back breaking task to get to it

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
has anyone here seen the weapon r intake as of yet?? i just spoke to weapon r and it is indeed a short ram style not a cold air intake. the only thing i am pondering is what affect the heat will have on the performance of the intake being it is really sucking in the hot air from the engine, mainly because the air under hood after driving with this car is REAL hot.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Someone here has it on their car as a 'tester'. I think it's dl_rl... I always forget who it is...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
zfactor said:
has anyone here seen the weapon r intake as of yet?? i just spoke to weapon r and it is indeed a short ram style not a cold air intake. the only thing i am pondering is what affect the heat will have on the performance of the intake being it is really sucking in the hot air from the engine, mainly because the air under hood after driving with this car is REAL hot.
it would be worst at idle, when the car is moving, i'd say there is a VERY minor difference between the two

one thing i noticed from having my filter hang near the tranny, is it seemed to be real sensitive to letting off the throttle, but my other theory is that the filter was a bit big. also, from what i've read (thanks spooner), the longer the intake tube, the faster the flow of air causing the motor to work less to get it, but with the secret weapon intake, the extra tube inside causes higher velocity within the intake. i'd like to see an intake dyno shootoff with the Injen/Weapon-R/K&N/AEM/Korax intakes. i'd be willing to bet all the short rams will perform pretty much the same, while the cold air systems will produce more power on a dyno. when at reall life speeds though, i don't doubt that the difference would be negligible.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i have seen very large differences on some cars between the cai's and short ram's. a lot depends on the car. for instance the 200sx se-r. gained a substantial amount more hp over the short rams tested. this does not happen on every vehicle though so as you said it would be a good test to see what came of it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
zfactor said:
i have seen very large differences on some cars between the cai's and short ram's. a lot depends on the car. for instance the 200sx se-r. gained a substantial amount more hp over the short rams tested. this does not happen on every vehicle though so as you said it would be a good test to see what came of it.
it would only be good if side by side on the same day, with identical cool off periods starting with a baseline, one to start, and one iwth the cooloff period. the RL is F/I though, which mmeans the differences should be minimal between the two on the dyno, but in real life, i think the cold air will shine

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'll prolly go with the weapon-r. mainly cuz of the bad exp i had with with the cai on my neon (snorkle tube) so yeah and i really want ppl to hear that s/c whin out :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts