Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front Fascia Modification for K&N CAI

Has anyone toyed with the idea or perhaps even gone ahead and drilled out the insert on the front right fascia to allow more air into the wheel well? I would think this would provide a better flow of air into the CAI, but I worry that it might present a drag or noise problem. bottom line is it worth the effort?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
i was thinking that also mabe if you use slitters or canards to divert air up and over car there would be no drag! I think the S/C whine would be real loud. who knows you gotta ask the experts im just a good ponderer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
is your's red, or is it orange? either way, that is tight looking...
ok, so how would you get the air from the slits to the CAI, or would you just open them up and let the air find it's way in?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
a lot of reds show up orange under the close ups of the camera. i wish they had that color stock though that would be sweet im pondering painting my car a candy pearl blazing orange.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
zfactor said:
a lot of reds show up orange under the close ups of the camera. i wish they had that color stock though that would be sweet im pondering painting my car a candy pearl blazing orange.

I smell a thread hijack comith... I apoligize in advance,
How would you paint this car, don't the polymer panels change the rules of
painting?

That would be sweet.... Go for it...

You say you're a weapon-r dealer, do you have their intake in stock? and have you installed one? how does it compare to the k&m?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
these cars can be painted without a problem??? body shops do it all the time. i know lots of people who paint these. i am a dealer but i decided for the time being not to stock the weapon r intake. sorry. i can get so much of a better price on the aem or even sell the k&n for basically almost the same price. just a little more for the k&n. check ebay same story there. the weapon r goes for 240 on there!!! just seems likt its overpriced if you want my honest opinion. i did order one for us to test as soon as we get all 4 intakes we are going to test in we will dyno before and after with each to get some numbers for all of you. i just got the k&n myself. me personally i do think weapon makes a good intake but seems like to much for a short ram. it is not cold air even. injens' cold air will be out very soon as well for again basically the same price. if its short ram you want i would go aem. i know the guys there well and they build some great intakes, and the key here is "they thoroughly tests them over and over again till it works the way they want" quote me on that. after speaking to some i know there (i was asked not to post names by aem) they are not doing a cold air for the redline, after extensive testing they feel the cold air will not produce more than maybe 1hp over the short ram. so your choice. i will have my shipment of k&n's in soon, but trying to support other here i think vita still may have some left pm vita to see. aem i can get for you no problem. i have to check stock i should have i believ two left but more are coming in the end of next week. i sold these faster than i though i would locally and had to add more.

long story short i feel the k&n right now is probably the best bet. i like the position of the filter (very slim chance of getting wet) and that it is more protected from the hotter engine air. just my opinion as you can see aem's was different. the placement of the aem and weapon r to me seems more likely to get wet. this has been agreed by some of my customers that bought the aem's from us. some even switched out for the k&n's afterwards

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i think i will be painting my redline to match my 300zxtt and my bike anyway during the summer here's a pic of the color

·
Registered
681 Posts
I removed the front (smaller) vent covers, but haven't figured out how to remove those smaller ones further around in the fenders - I'll do it, for sure, could only help brake cooling, I'd think.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim Lewis said:
I removed the front (smaller) vent covers, but haven't figured out how to remove those smaller ones further around in the fenders - I'll do it, for sure, could only help brake cooling, I'd think.
The back of this part goes into the wheel well, but the skirting would prevent the air from getting to the brakes, however, this is exactly where the filter for the K&N Intake mounts. H2O seems to be the main concern, how much could get in, and could it possibly get into the filter, even with the dry sleve on?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ptparker said:
is your's red, or is it orange? either way, that is tight looking...
ok, so how would you get the air from the slits to the CAI, or would you just open them up and let the air find it's way in?
BTW...Chili Pepper Red...to be exact. as far as getting air into there, I would drill small holes into the faux mesh, and the car's velocity would force the air through (I Hope). :D

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
wxmd said:
BTW...Chili Pepper Red...to be exact. as far as getting air into there, I would drill small holes into the faux mesh, and the car's velocity would force the air through (I Hope). :D
I thought about that as well, but I was not convinced that the holes would let enough air in...

·
Registered
83 Posts
its just plastic molded clips. i didnt think it would let muck air in as well due to the fact the intake is up more by the fender. all it would be is a bug collector for the intake. what i found to help somewhat was when i was racing at the track take out your driver side headlight for the most air flow

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sp00ner said:
I thought about that as well, but I was not convinced that the holes would let enough air in...
What about cutting the insert out entirely and putting in real mesh? I don't know if this would be an exercise in futility but it would be interesting to see if it would make a difference, allowing a direct flow of cooler air into the intake. My only reservation to doing it would be screwing up the aesthetics of the whole design ( I would hate to make it look Ghetto!)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
wxmd said:
What about cutting the insert out entirely and putting in real mesh? I don't know if this would be an exercise in futility but it would be interesting to see if it would make a difference, allowing a direct flow of cooler air into the intake. My only reservation to doing it would be screwing up the aesthetics of the whole design ( I would hate to make it look Ghetto!)
Well, you can always screw something up, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, just use a black mesh. The rain, and the bugs however, that would be a little more concern. I'm not too sure if the rain would be too bad or not. It is a small hole, and it might just be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps leading a vent/hose from the front would be a better idea. At least then you can add some bends, or a filter, or screening or something, to keep it from being a straight shot to the intake. Could even add some vents to the brakes while you're in that area...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Well, you can always screw something up, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, just use a black mesh. The rain, and the bugs however, that would be a little more concern. I'm not too sure if the rain would be too bad or not. It is a small hole, and it might just be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps leading a vent/hose from the front would be a better idea. At least then you can add some bends, or a filter, or screening or something, to keep it from being a straight shot to the intake. Could even add some vents to the brakes while you're in that area...
What could you make the tubes out of? home A/C ducts (not the soft kind)? Assuming we all don't have access to a machine shop (with a bender). I think cost a lot just to play around and prototype. maybe build it out of ducting, and when you get it the way you want it, take it out and machine it. I have a K&N on the way. I want to get that in first. Vita reccomends to leave the stock box in, but I might take it out to give me more room to work in there. Also, I might prototype it with home ducts, and then get it done nice with steel after I fit it... It will be much cheaper that way :D

I think that it would be futile to take out those side covers... The ticket is going to be the right fog light insert. I am already going to do what alredline04
did in http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39908

Does anyone know if rust will be an issue?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.