Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at about the halfway mark on my CAI install. I was thinking about taking out the stock airbox to ease up on the clutter. Does it provide any needed structural support that I would need to utilize it? A swift response is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
No. You can take it out. Lots of guys on here have the K&N and no airbox.

Make sure you have a zizz wheel or jigsaw handy unless you wanna add about 3 hours to your CAI install. ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JPK said:
No. You can take it out. Lots of guys on here have the K&N and no airbox.

Make sure you have a zizz wheel or jigsaw handy unless you wanna add about 3 hours to your CAI install. ;)
yeah I actually didnt even wait for the response. I got so pissed trying to get the t bolt clamp on that I got my dremel out and cut it into about 20 pieces. The CAI is now in I just have to put the plastic pieces and the wheel back on. I think I am gonna get to hold the record for longest CAI install, going on 5 hours now. :(

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
It's always best that you take your time and make sure everything is done right so don't feel bad.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got my K&N CAI Installed by the dealer and only got charged for 1.5 hours of labor... It took them 4 hours total on the install... So don't feel bad. Even professionals have had trouble with this install.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RicanSpeed said:
I got my K&N CAI Installed by the dealer and only got charged for 1.5 hours of labor... It took them 4 hours total on the install... So don't feel bad. Even professionals have had trouble with this install.
my biggest problem was trying to feed the tube through the airbox, I spent a total of almost 2 hours messing with that. Alot of other things were just hard for me to get to, like the braket on the windshield washer resevoir.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i put mine in, in about an hour and a half. but i did it at work with a hoist. i had no problems feeding it through the air box hole. i just left the air box in so i f i need major engine work done i can swap everything out and take it back to the dealer. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ACasper85 said:
i put mine in, in about an hour and a half. but i did it at work with a hoist. i had no problems feeding it through the air box hole. i just left the air box in so i f i need major engine work done i can swap everything out and take it back to the dealer. :D
ehh mines almost done with its waranty anyways.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
clownhair said:
ehh mines almost done with its waranty anyways.
Shouldnt be a problem with CAIs and warranty, as long as you dont over oil your filter. A recent TSB (#04-07-30-013A - Jan 25, 2005) outlines that you may be denied warranty on your Mass Airflow Sensor if it has failed due to contamination from an "over oiled" aftermarket filter. The bulleting goes on to state:
The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:
• Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

• Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

• Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.
So if you are using a CAI with a reusable filter that you clea and oil, make sure you dont get carried away with the oiling as it could contaminate the MAF and cause drivability problems.

IME you can ususally clean a contaminated MAF element with a little BrakeCleens but YMMV!!

Regards
WopOnTour

1 - 9 of 9 Posts