Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since they put it on my car it has help with throttle response overall performance. a deffinet first buy for the weekend warrior.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
What's this "They put it on my car" part of the fun is in the install. tightening those 2 rings on the lower part fro under the car with the tiny allen wrench they give you. Or trying to get the stock air filter cover off without pulling to many things off and saying to hell with it and jerking the damn thing out of the bay. Or my fav was the damn angled piece in the wheel well....now were talking.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I like the fact that the supercharger is louder now but as far as performance I dont know if it actually does much.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
preformance, was a disappointment .. but its still helps alot, my boost now comes faster, and i can definatly tell that ... and i love the sc whine now .. scares ppl :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I can say that between the K&N and the SFPH Pulley, I made almost 234hp, but I can't be sure how much the intake did...

Good product, but they needed to iron out some of the CEL's that popped up...

The noise of the blower is worth the cost of admission alone... to me...

·
Registered
367 Posts
installation difficulty is fairly high if you arent patient, especially with the angled piece in the fenderwell. high only due to the awkward angles involved to reach the peices (if using a floor jack/jackstands.) improves the sound of the car incredibly, if you find yourself leaving first early, so you can hit second at full throttle to hear a bit of whine (and are speeding all the time to hear it.) then this mod is a MUST HAVE, you will be able to get that satisfying whine in first gear cruising up to speed. very good. Ensure that when you get the filter you either clean it and re-oil lightly (very lightly) or in my case, use paper towel / towel to "dab" on the filter for a while, to lift off some of the oil. The filters come over-oiled from factory it seems (or our sensors are very finicky aout contamination) ... either way, do one of the above to aviod CEL's. throttle responds better, power increase is there, as much as any sane person can expect from a CAI being the lone upgrade. will help more with supporting mod's included.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've had zero issues with my car since my install (knock on plastic). I've heard so many people complain about CEL's after the K&N install. I just gently wiped mine off with a paper towel (it didn't even leave any red oil stains) and have had no CEL's. I love it and didn't even have to re-tighten any fittings after the fact. The sound is awesome. If anyone doesn't know what it sounds like find the "Pittsburgh video" thread...it sounds great!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Install was difficult, but once the product was on, I felt the car was more responsive and the supercharger whine was great. My baseline HP measurement was 233 HP. I will perform a post install HP measurement after running a few gastanks with the new install to allow the ECU to remap itself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would like to add that if you have lowering springs (at least the eibachs) you need to make sure the inside fender insert is on. After my K&N got loose once, I never put the fender piece back on so I could just quickly check fitment. Once my car got lowered with the Eibachs, the wheel hit the filter. So if you are lowering and have the K&N, be careful and watch for that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
well seeing I just installed one yesterday Ill give my opinion.

First off the directions blow. Half of the things they said to do were ass backwards. Second off They didnt give me at least 6 things they said that were included ie the "tool" some hose clamps etc.

I did the "airbox mod" but if you wanna call it that i pretty much took out the stock airbox. I didnt realize i needed it for the intake but i guess i did. In any case the installation part was a pain in the balls sorta but really didnt take that long. From the airbox mod the noise difference is very minimal. The power gain isnt so much but thats just from the butt dyno. The only good thing i guess is that the car runs a tad bit cooler and I still havent gone through a full tank with it to see if there was any fuel mileage increase or decrease. IMHO I wasted 239.00 for a perfect birthday gift. But time will tell...at least its a "supporting mod" for future things like my pulley etc.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
AdrenalineRush97sl04RL said:
well seeing I just installed one yesterday Ill give my opinion.

First off the directions blow. Half of the things they said to do were ass backwards. Second off They didnt give me at least 6 things they said that were included ie the "tool" some hose clamps etc.

I did the "airbox mod" but if you wanna call it that i pretty much took out the stock airbox. I didnt realize i needed it for the intake but i guess i did. In any case the installation part was a pain in the balls sorta but really didnt take that long. From the airbox mod the noise difference is very minimal. The power gain isnt so much but thats just from the butt dyno. The only good thing i guess is that the car runs a tad bit cooler and I still havent gone through a full tank with it to see if there was any fuel mileage increase or decrease. IMHO I wasted 239.00 for a perfect birthday gift. But time will tell...at least its a "supporting mod" for future things like my pulley etc.
your saying there was no sound diffrence?? How hard is it to run a metal pipe in place of the plastic one? Also who doesnt own a set of allen wrenches that is used as the "tool" Also you dont need the airbox to put the intake on.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mattman6 said:
your saying there was no sound diffrence?? How hard is it to run a metal pipe in place of the plastic one? Also who doesnt own a set of allen wrenches that is used as the "tool" Also you dont need the airbox to put the intake on.

Yes youre right im saying there was no sound difference. I completely took out the stock airbox and had a filter on the lid. So it was an open filter. Second off I didnt need an allen wrench because nothing had a hex head on it. Because i actually own a set of allen wrenches. And obviously you dont need the airbox because the intake is in the car. It just says in the directions that you should put a spacer that they supply onto the top of the airbox for the securing tab on the top tube. And its not an aem so its more than just replacing a top tube. I mean damn Im not a complete retard.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Yes youre right im saying there was no sound difference. I completely took out the stock airbox and had a filter on the lid. So it was an open filter. Second off I didnt need an allen wrench because nothing had a hex head on it. Because i actually own a set of allen wrenches. And obviously you dont need the airbox because the intake is in the car. It just says in the directions that you should put a spacer that they supply onto the top of the airbox for the securing tab on the top tube. And its not an aem so its more than just replacing a top tube. I mean damn Im not a complete retard.
so you replaced the stock filter with a K&N filter and not a CAI, if you got a CAI then you would need a set of allen wrenches. So you did the airbox mod and not the K&N intake, so why are you posting in the K&N intake review section?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mattman6 said:
so you replaced the stock filter with a K&N filter and not a CAI, if you got a CAI then you would need a set of allen wrenches. So you did the airbox mod and not the K&N intake, so why are you posting in the K&N intake review section?

No you are completely misunderstanding me. I replaced the stock filter with a K&N and took out the airbox completely. Then I purchased a K&N CAI and put it on which is why i posted the review. There was nothing i needed a set of allen wrenches for so I guess I was missing more parts then I thought. So that would be why Im posting in the review section.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
No you are completely misunderstanding me. I replaced the stock filter with a K&N and took out the airbox completely. Then I purchased a K&N CAI and put it on which is why i posted the review. There was nothing i needed a set of allen wrenches for so I guess I was missing more parts then I thought. So that would be why Im posting in the review section.
can i see pics of your set up?? Because you should be hearing the supercharger pretty good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mattman6 said:
can i see pics of your set up?? Because you should be hearing the supercharger pretty good.
Ok. This is what I did. I literally took the stock airbox completely out. Then I attached a K&N drop in to the lid. Hence the louder whine. Then I installed the typhoon. The whine wasnt louder than the airbox being removed. It felt like a little more lower end power. The directions sucked...i knew what i was doing and I just wanted to mention that they sucked. They also screwed me on the allen wrench that was supposed to be included with whatever it was needed for....but i guess they didnt wanna give me parts. If you need pics just pm me and ill take some tomorrow and send them to you.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Ok. This is what I did. I literally took the stock airbox completely out. Then I attached a K&N drop in to the lid. Hence the louder whine. Then I installed the typhoon. The whine wasnt louder than the airbox being removed. It felt like a little more lower end power. The directions sucked...i knew what i was doing and I just wanted to mention that they sucked. They also screwed me on the allen wrench that was supposed to be included with whatever it was needed for....but i guess they didnt wanna give me parts. If you need pics just pm me and ill take some tomorrow and send them to you.
how were the pipes connected? Mine were connected with clamps that used allen wrench heads.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mattman6 said:
how were the pipes connected? Mine were connected with clamps that used allen wrench heads.

my pipes are connected with regular hose clamps that are with the flat head/8mm head on them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts