Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Great product I love mine. felt a differnece immediately. In the downside, this was the longest intake install ever!!! Oh. and I hate the bucket!!!!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Just finished putting mine in, WOW what a difference! My car used to bog down in 1st-2nd-3rd but now it feels really smooth. It was a little bit of a pain to install - my MAF wiring was not long enough to reach the sensor so I had to add some wire. I'm not sure if there will be a noticeable HP gain, but I installed it primarily for the sound anyways. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
i just finished installing my K&N typhoon. what a PITA! 3 hours install time. i bet a good hour and a half was spent trying to figure out how to get the stock air filter top off. finally the filter fell off the top and i yanked it the right way to get it free.

the directions were somewhat backwards in places, IMO. for example, it said to connect the second section of tubing and THEN add the filter to the end. however, there wasn't enough room in the fender to accomplish this.

also, one of the brackets was not shaped correctly to work with the supplied mount. i omitted it since the filter seems to be wedged up in the fender anyways.

i did not disconnect my battery while installing the typhoon.

once i was FINALLY done installing, i double checked that there were no loose couplings or tools or hardware floating around in my engine bay and then i took her for a spin.

wow. anyone who says this is "just a noisemaker" is dead wrong! the car feels noticably stronger now, and of course, ol' Eaton screams it's head off from 3000 rpm on up.

i took it up to about 6200 rpm a couple times on the highway and happily, no codes! *knock on wood* the filter was not soaked in oil as some have described.

all in all, a very rewarding mod. it was initially a bit of a hassle, but i say it's worth every penny, scrape, curse, and hour i spent under my car tonight. if you're waffling about getting this, stop and do yourself a favor. buy one.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
golden chicken said:
i just finished installing my K&N typhoon. what a PITA! 3 hours install time. i bet a good hour and a half was spent trying to figure out how to get the stock air filter top off. finally the filter fell off the top and i yanked it the right way to get it free.

the directions were somewhat backwards in places, IMO. for example, it said to connect the second section of tubing and THEN add the filter to the end. however, there wasn't enough room in the fender to accomplish this.

also, one of the brackets was not shaped correctly to work with the supplied mount. i omitted it since the filter seems to be wedged up in the fender anyways.

i did not disconnect my battery while installing the typhoon.

once i was FINALLY done installing, i double checked that there were no loose couplings or tools or hardware floating around in my engine bay and then i took her for a spin.

wow. anyone who says this is "just a noisemaker" is dead wrong! the car feels noticably stronger now, and of course, ol' Eaton screams it's head off from 3000 rpm on up.

i took it up to about 6200 rpm a couple times on the highway and happily, no codes! *knock on wood* the filter was not soaked in oil as some have described.

all in all, a very rewarding mod. it was initially a bit of a hassle, but i say it's worth every penny, scrape, curse, and hour i spent under my car tonight. if you're waffling about getting this, stop and do yourself a favor. buy one.

Congrats man! I have the same sentiments... It took a day for my code to come on. You have stage 1/2.5 now, mabye with your tune it will not come on.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Mikeyredline said:
Congrats man! I have the same sentiments... It took a day for my code to come on. You have stage 1/2.5 now, mabye with your tune it will not come on.
haha, stage 3/8?? lol no codes so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if sound is the only thing cared about, how come people are spending all this $ to buy a aftermarket filter, why not just remove the stock silencer ???
am i wrong here ?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
if sound is the only thing cared about, how come people are spending all this $ to buy a aftermarket filter, why not just remove the stock silencer ???
am i wrong here ?
the difference in sound between the typhoon and just removing the silencer is HUGE.

the silencer delete makes it a little louder. in comparison, the typhoon makes the car sound like a screaming banshee!

if money is tight, by all means, do the silencer delete. but if you really want the sound, the best way to get loud supercharger whine is with the typhoon or zzp 3"

·
Registered
24 Posts
hm....a screaming banshee....that is something to consider.
Thanks for the reply.

Did you install the typhone AND take out the silencer ???

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
first i did the silencer delete. the typhoon replaces the whole air pipe, so there is no place for the silencer once you do the typhoon.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts