Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres one for all the people who has installed there K&N intake. The directions say to run the short ram pipe from the throttle body down through the bottom half of the stock air box. I am having trouble getting it though there with enough clearence to fit the cold air pipe. Im about to cut out the bottom of the stock air box but I wanted to see what yall had to say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
arent you supposed to cut the air box? i heard you dont have to if you take a good look at it. fed ex says mine should be in my car today.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I removed my entire air box, but we also installed one witht he air box still in there. To keep the box, you just need to pull the intake through. My mechanic said it was pretty easy, but you had to pull on it

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you able to pull the bottom half of the air box through the top or did you cut it first?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
He pulled it through with no cutting at all. He said it just took some muscle. Like I said, we cut mine completly out, but that's not the right way to do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got the whole cold air intake for it $400:(, Taxed but worth every penny, But yeah take out the box too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JPK said:
$400 for a CAI????

Did you at least get a kiss first?
Just a kiss?

Thanks for the help yall. I ended up cutting a peice off and getting it out. Its all in now and damn... Ive never noticed such good gains from a intake. And the S/C is loud as hell :) my exhaust was so loud that you could barly hear it before but now, at WOT it drowns out the exhaust. Very worth the money... all $275 :D $400, not quite worth that much. but if you got the money, **** IT

·
Registered
110 Posts
weasel_j66 said:
Am I missing something??? I thought the purpose of a CAI was to open up the restrictions of the air intake system and drawing air from outside of the engine compartment. Why would you leave the stock air box in??? What is it I'm not getting here??
You leave the stock airbox in because it's a bitch to take out, unless you decide to cut it up. The K&N tube just passes through it. This also would make it easy to put back to stock. The downside is that it would look nicer with the box removed, and look less cluttered.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weasel_j66 said:
Am I missing something??? I thought the purpose of a CAI was to open up the restrictions of the air intake system and drawing air from outside of the engine compartment. Why would you leave the stock air box in??? What is it I'm not getting here??
Its only the bottom half of the air box that stays. You just run the pipes through it. It makes it pritty hard to line up the pipes from the K&N and its ugly as sin. I decided to just take it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts