Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Typo

This has to be a typo. I heard a post where someone gained like 22 hp or something w/ a dyno sheet. I'm sure you can do a search. Plus a guy i know the lives around me has it and he said it helped A LOT. So, 7 hp gain is just not right.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, but he is a sales guy. He's on here trying to sell these things. Seems odd that if they "truly" make 17 or so HP, he would only advertise it as making 7-9.

He's already stated that it is NOT a typo.

"D3XXfr, the only dynos Ive seen from Redline owners were of hp numbers between 7-9 hp, so to be fair and true, we posted 7 hp. As time moves along, youll notice that MP provides real world, proven hp numbers, and we post actual pictures of the real world products instead of generic product pics like some others do."

I totally respect his honesty and him posting "true to life" numbers, but this contradicts everything I have heard about this intake as far as gains.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yah yah I saw that. I'm not sure why he would say that. Theres a lot of possibilities but whichever it is, his information is not correct. K&N itself has a dyno that shows 14 hp gain. So maybe that person installed it incorrectly or maybe the dyno wasn't working right, who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I treid to warn you guys that intakes are worthless. They make noise and only noise. 7 hp is laughable. I can make that with better gas. Or a lower temp outside.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't pay $250 for only 7 hp.

I need to see some "REAL WORLD" dyno numbers on it. Not just a K&N dyno.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, K&N had a dyno sheet. I'm sure they did pulls until they got numbers they were happy with. They posted the lowest pre intake pull and the highest post intake pull.

Hell, I did 3 dyno pulls and ranged from 209 to 216 HP. Of course, you are going to claim the highest numbers just like I do. See what I'm saying?

I'd like to see someone here post a before and after dyno sheet on it.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I would like to see 3 before runs with outside ambient temp readings and 3 runs after same readings. If they went all out and got a intake temp reading as well that would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
JPK hurry and go get that dyno.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
goofyguy said:
JPK hurry and go get that dyno.

You know I'm broke right now foooo!!!!

I'm gonna get your tq brace (and a few other things) as soon as I get some cash in hand after I'm caught up with bills.

I plan on dynoing it the end of this month.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Ahh crap how soon I forget my bad. Make them dyno for free.

·
Registered
196 Posts
goofyguy said:
I treid to warn you guys that intakes are worthless. They make noise and only noise. 7 hp is laughable. I can make that with better gas. Or a lower temp outside.
Well, I like all the HP I can get! LOL! Honestly, 7-9 HP on a stock car sounds about right. But I believe that over time when we start adding parts and increasing the capabilities of the engine/supercharger, this (or any) intake will be a necessity. That's when it will really shine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Signals said:
Well, I like all the HP I can get! LOL! Honestly, 7-9 HP on a stock car sounds about right. But I believe that over time when we start adding parts and increasing the capabilities of the engine/supercharger, this (or any) intake will be a necessity. That's when it will really shine.
Right on the money - realistic gains. I can lower the temperature in the dyno room by 5-6 degrees and give you 10 hp...

MARKETING....hype to sell a product - do you think they're going to sell many when they advertise the dyno runs they pulled where there was only 2-3 hp gained? Of course not, that would be crazy. I'm sure they had runs like that, but you'd never see a claim of "gains from 2-17 hp attained"...who would buy it if all they thought they'd get is 2 hp?

If you totally buy into marketing on every performance product in the market, or dish soap, or laundry sop, or motor oil, etc, you're going to disappointed when you don't get the exact same results.

When's the last time the majority of owners of a given vehicle matched the EPA fuel mileage numbers that were on the sticker? Come on guys, it's marketing, and "adjusted results" for a certain sizzle on the steak they're selling.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Right on the money - realistic gains. I can lower the temperature in the dyno room by 5-6 degrees and give you 10 hp...

MARKETING....hype to sell a product - do you think they're going to sell many when they advertise the dyno runs they pulled where there was only 2-3 hp gained? Of course not, that would be crazy. I'm sure they had runs like that, but you'd never see a claim of "gains from 2-17 hp attained"...who would buy it if all they thought they'd get is 2 hp?

If you totally buy into marketing on every performance product in the market, or dish soap, or laundry sop, or motor oil, etc, you're going to disappointed when you don't get the exact same results.

When's the last time the majority of owners of a given vehicle matched the EPA fuel mileage numbers that were on the sticker? Come on guys, it's marketing, and "adjusted results" for a certain sizzle on the steak they're selling.
Perfect. (damn the limit)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Comparing apples to oranges, a K&N kit installed on a 2004 Mustang Cobra netted 25 hp - on a 390 (advertised) 368 (dyno baseline) engine - a little less than 7% (actually 6.7%) - the same number on our cars is 13.73.

That 25 hp number was also under IDEAL conditions with the hood open and a fan blowing on the engine - closing the hood dropped 9 hp. Also, the dyno showed that the intake system helped maintain higher boost levels through all rpm ranges.

Take 9 hp less than 25, (16), divide it into the baseline (368) and you get 4.3%....that's 8.81 hp on our cars, and right in the perfect range we're seeing.

Intakes don't work miracles and give 20-30-40 hp gains like ricers think - they do provide a few hp, make the car sound cool, and give you something to show off when you pop your hood. If you're expecting more than that, I can sell you a Tornado or Turbonator...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
On o NA motor where the only thing pulling in the air is the motor you can see some great gains. I have seen real gains of 30hp on 502 blocks but never a 4 cyl Im sorry.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i have to attest to the fact that between removing my airbox and having the K&N installed, there really isn't a noise/performance difference. over stock i'm sure there is. i gained 9hp or so just from the airbox removal.

the good thing about this intake is that i've noticed the car running MUCH smoother than with my filter hanging there next to the engine/tranny. it used to be when i let off the gas, i'd get a rough feeling/jerkiness from the car. with the intake on, it's nice and smooth. i think K&N did a nice job.

as was stated before, you can't really expect TOO much from an intake, but once other mods are done to the car to improve power, the intake will help them make more power because it's flowing more than stock. you can get the same effects with the stock setup, and i'm sure set up like a ram air, it may be even better than the K&N, but it's for looks mostly. if anyone wants an intake, the K&N is the way to go. if you're scared about hydrolock, it isn't going to happen with this intake. the filter sits so high in the fenderwell it's almost funny, not to mention they include the Drycharger with this kit, so it's double protected.

though i do agree that manufacturers play with numbers until they're happy, i believe it all depends on the dyno and the conditions. as long as you try and stay consistant when dynoing gains from mods, you get a realistic view of where you're getting, but you'll never truly know how your car will perform when driving on the freeway, where the power will likely be more of an increase over sitting still on a dyno

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Also, the more I read on CAIs, the more it says that it's taking advantage of high-pressure zones generated while the car is at speed. So you might see more of a gain at 80-100mph, than taking off from a standstill. Something like ram-air on the Camaros, and TA's and such. It gave you 0hp standing still, and around 5-6hp over 60mph. I know you guys have runs tons of dynos, but would you be able to generate conditions that mimic the car running at 70 mph?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts