Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey so I know there is a search button, however I find my issue very odd and would like some helpful knowledge from all you owners!!

i've spent hours and days looking for the right info, but this situation is different.

So I got my car a week ago it is a 2007 ion level 3 auto with 2.4, I got home tonight and put my car in park and went to turn it off and it wouldn't turn, just turns to the right to run but not to acc or off, So i googled and googled and googled to find info. Checked the BTIS and it is okay, everytime I click the shifter the little plunger below the steering column moves in and out in and out and in and out. When i apply the brakes and shift through the gears it stays out, as soon as i go to park it stays locked in, in a depressed state. So If i unhook the battery it pops out, but key still doesnt come out when depressed. (might have that backwards, i have to go out and try again to make sure I got that right)

I also took the shifter apart and was looking, as i push the brakes the piece of plastic that moves back and forth to allow it to shift, is moving as it should. But my key is just LOCKED in there, I did try jiggling it, I tried moving left to right with the wheel, I tried lubing it, and the plunger, NOTHING seems to work....

Is it sound like my ignition cylinder has dropped the pin and wont let it rotate? Thats what I am drawing up as a answer so far, The keys ( i have 3) all looked newer and not worn off.

Any advice would be helpful, also if it is the ignition cylinder, has anyone ever had dealership cover the cost? or what is the cost on getting a new cylinder put in and rekeying the 3 keys. Thanks alot guys, really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
anything at the dealer (unless it's free) is going to be expensive. if they were to replace you ign cyl and rekey your whole car, i'd say your looking at at least a good 300 bones just for the re-key.
you COULD just disable your cyl lock... :D

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
anything at the dealer (unless it's free) is going to be expensive. if they were to replace you ign cyl and rekey your whole car, i'd say your looking at at least a good 300 bones just for the re-key.
you COULD just disable your cyl lock... :D
There have been other posts that have been over 7 hundo for this at the dealer.
This is a tough fix, the cyl and the rekeying of it is the cheap part of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for the reply's I went into my dealer today, and they actually worked it right in on the spot even though they were BACKED up with vehicles to repair, so what happened was the previous owner switched ignition cylinders on the car and I had no idea, I had 3 keys all very similar, so similar I didn't notice they were different, well all 3 keys also started the car, but the one key which was the original, broke the little metal cover off the cylinder tumbler cover, so my key was locked in, they cut the key off, took the dash apart, and got the lock cylinder out.

The dumb part of this whole thing was... my car doesnt have a chipped set up, however when they got the new cylinder in it (today) the two other keys didnt work with it! (the previous dealer who must have changed it out before, installed the chipped version cylinder lock) into the car! So that made my car need the code for a chipped key to fit the new tumbler, so we had to swtich it all to a chipped version., what a PITA!!! Luckily my dealer took care of me SO MUCH and billed me for 1 hour labour even thought it took 3, and it wasn't even their fault, we all were playing guessing games as to why it wasn't working. My bill came to $300.69 which was very reasonable! THANKS MAINLINE GMC!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Good to hear they took care of you. Price is pretty fair for that repair

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
for all the pita work involved in doing that, tis a good price. now all you need to do it squirt in some carbon lube to keep it working nicely for the long haul!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts