Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in the water injection thread peeps were talking about how gm's knock sensors are extra sensitive what if we make a dummy knock sensor( like they did on the ser spec v to get more gains when upgrading. bear in mind only using 91 and up octane) it wouldnt retard our timing and possibly give a little gain on top in?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'd want to be real careful trying to fool the knock detection.

Assuming you could craft such a sensor, I'd be real weary of engine damage. The knock retard is there for a reason. The LSJ is a solid-built motor for sure, but it doesn't take much detonation to shred a piston.

Granted the stock ECM calibration may err on the side of extreme safety, so there may be some leeway to be had. But this isn't something I'd rush into unless you really really know what you're doing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you wanna try it, by all means. :D But I'm telling you .. be careful. The kind of small amount of knock you'd get on an N/A SER motor pales in comparison to the piston-shredding that can take place in an F/I motor already pushing 12lbs.

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aha! talk to a tech friend of mine that works at a chevy dealer and He said as long as u use 91 and up you'll be ok. and there is power to gain from it it. Nuff Said!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The RL/SS requires 91 octane as is. So if the goal of this is to encourage more spark advance by spoofing the knock sensor, you'd need even more detonation-resistant gasoline than 91. Probalby 94+.

Like I said, go nuts. :D I'd love to see your results! Fundamentally, these type of 'spoof the ECU' ideas are never the best way to do things. It's like the old wire-a-10k-resistor-in-series-with-your-IAT to make the ECU think the intake charge is 20 degrees colder trick. At best it does pretty much nothing. At worst, messing with knock detection on a 12psi engine, you could end up with some nice melted pistons. :)

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
obviously u didnt read the link cheap ecu tricks do work. i know ill be able to free up 5hp throught the whole power band probably more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts