Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
They're Installed!!!

I got the Koni cartridge equipped struts installed today! Very easy. There were no clearance problems with the Ion 'top cap'. With a good spring compressor, the new struts were easy to fit with the balance of the stock components.

I haven't really had a chance to evaluate the handling in detail, but what I've felt so far is better than stock.

I'll report when I have more information.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Install ISSUES!

When we installed the Koni cartridges, I have some 'clunking' noises from the right front. I assumed that the swaybar link was loose or the strut top bolt wasn't tight enough -- neither of these things were the problem -- the total length of the Koni strut (the threaded end) is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch too long. This means that the upper end of the adjustment tip was making contact occasionally with the inside of the upper cap.

I can think of at least 4 ways to deal with this: 1) grind a small hole (indentation) on the underside of the top mounting bold on the top cap to maker room for the adjustment tip (I don't recommend this); 2) put a couple of 1/2" ID washers on top of the strut but uinder the upper spring mounting plate (placing the top of the strut bold about 1/4" lower; 3) make and install a 1/4" spacer plate between the upper spring plate and the top cap (probably the best answer if you have the time); 4) nip-off the adjustment tip which gives you about 1/4" more clearance (this is what I did). Since you have to remove the strut to adjust is anyway -- not a frequent task -- and since I can still adjust with a pair of needle-nose pliers, I picked the easy solution -- no more weird noises.

I plan to share all the above with Koni, but I doubt they'll do anything to accomodate us -- there just aren't that many redlines. Having said the above, I love them! They are 'seat of the pants' stiffer, the car is about 3/4" lower than stock (shorter overall strut length which slightly compresses the stock front springs), roll control is much improved -- but they don't feel harsh, just controlled.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
scottherbert said:
When we installed the Koni cartridges, I have some 'clunking' noises from the right front. I assumed that the swaybar link was loose or the strut top bolt wasn't tight enough -- neither of these things were the problem -- the total length of the Koni strut (the threaded end) is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch too long. This means that the upper end of the adjustment tip was making contact occasionally with the inside of the upper cap.

I can think of at least 4 ways to deal with this: 1) grind a small hole (indentation) on the underside of the top mounting bold on the top cap to maker room for the adjustment tip (I don't recommend this); 2) put a couple of 1/2" ID washers on top of the strut but uinder the upper spring mounting plate (placing the top of the strut bold about 1/4" lower; 3) make and install a 1/4" spacer plate between the upper spring plate and the top cap (probably the best answer if you have the time); 4) nip-off the adjustment tip which gives you about 1/4" more clearance (this is what I did). Since you have to remove the strut to adjust is anyway -- not a frequent task -- and since I can still adjust with a pair of needle-nose pliers, I picked the easy solution -- no more weird noises.

I plan to share all the above with Koni, but I doubt they'll do anything to accomodate us -- there just aren't that many redlines. Having said the above, I love them! They are 'seat of the pants' stiffer, the car is about 3/4" lower than stock (shorter overall strut length which slightly compresses the stock front springs), roll control is much improved -- but they don't feel harsh, just controlled.

Scott


Did your inserts just slip in?
Do you have any PICs of this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Install

Yes, they slipped-in, no I don't have the pictures yet -- soon.

I think you ideas about getting a set of Redline struts (they must be a larger diameter) is the best one...

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
not trying to thread jack, but what happened to BG full adjustable coilover set?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
this is all sweet news but i have one concern. i have sprint springs and im curious if i get the front set if ill will start rubbing somewhere, im almost positive the rears will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,102 Posts
importdeporter said:
this is all sweet news but i have one concern. i have sprint springs and im curious if i get the front set if ill will start rubbing somewhere, im almost positive the rears will be fine.
You will not, these are struts, they replace your stock ones, their purpose is not to change camber, or lower the car much (however on stock spring, you may notice a bit of a drop, because of the dampening/rebound settings in them, as they are designed for lowered cars.) These are strictly to provide the proper dampener and the proper rebound for specific suspension applications.

ie: drag: FULL stiff in rear, soft in front, this will reduce weight transfer to the rear, thus improving traction upfront
road course/autox: every track is different, pavements different, this gives you the ability to adjust your suspension, either to give more understeer (stiff rear, soft front) or oversteer (stiff front, soft rear)
These give you the ability to make the necessairy changes to improve your times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Has anyone else encountered the same problems as mentioned above? I just bought a set for my wife's car and we're gonna be installing them this weekend. Anything to really look out for? What's a good place to start with the adjustments for regular "spirited" driving. She doesn't drag or autox often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,102 Posts
linenoyz said:
Has anyone else encountered the same problems as mentioned above? I just bought a set for my wife's car and we're gonna be installing them this weekend. Anything to really look out for? What's a good place to start with the adjustments for regular "spirited" driving. She doesn't drag or autox often.
Everyone has different opinions. Not many people even have the Koni's on the Redline.

I would leave the Konis and the factory setting (usually in the middle between soft/hard) for the break-in 500km or so. That way you get a feel for the car, and will be able to adjsut them to your liking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Now as far as getting the old front strut inserts out, is it just a matter of putting a hacksaw to them and chopping them off, or is there a trick to it? Any help would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
Last post in this thread is almost 6 months old.

Update, anyone? Anybody autocrossing a RL with these in it? I hate to go looking for guinea pigs, but I can't afford to shell out $600+ for these babies and have them not work. What's more, if I shell out the cash and they fit/work - but offer no substanital improvement in Solo times... Well, that's $600 that coulda been spent elsewhere.

Feedback from IRL owners? REALLY great if you Solo II the car?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
the bare strut without the top hat works between the two cars; all you have to do is change the top plate assembly complete; this may not work with the Koni stuff...if they cared they could easily find out, they work with GM guys in Koni Challenge...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
Dude - di you even read the thread, lol? They did work us, it was already covered that the challenge series spun these off, and they even built a set for a test member here, lol.

I'm looking for feedback from people who've done it. $650+/- for the inserts, plus a bunch of labor to have them built, and I'm halfway to paying for real coilovers and moving to STX, lol. So if someone can say "I've done it, they're great, and helped my Solo times", I'm in. So far, I've herd "have them in back, seem to be an impovement", nothing from someone who has them on all 4 corners and can offer solid feedback. :(
 
101 - 120 of 149 Posts
Top