Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
maybe I'm retarted but I was thinking this for Solo II weekends
-------
have lowering springs on a 2nd set of front shocks(stock)
and have rear lowreing springs
----------
install Auto X set before event then run
go back to stock after event, then I don't have to worry about blown struts over time. I dunno how the harware will handle repeated install

my RL is not my DD btw

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If it's not your DD, install the setup you intend to race on and leave it. :shrug:

I'm still wanting to hear from anyone who has these shocks. I'm going to buy a set anyway i think, but I reallyy would like to hear from people who've autocrossed on them!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Wow - I'm a douche - I asked for feedback and then never posted again when I have some, LMAO!

Installed the Yellows on all 4 corners. With stock springs (running in Stock class) I have the fronts set about 50% stiffer than stock and the rears at just about full stiff. So she's overdamped for sure, but that works for solo, lol.

On the treet, this makes for some occasional odd behavior; "skipping" over small irregularites for instance, and sharp rises/dips are "hard", especially for rear seat passengers. Overall not a bad ride though, and noticeably better with a couple passengers where the extra weight compresses the springs to a more appropriate stiffness for the shocks, lol.

For autox - they rock. Noticeable difference, ESPECIALLY in quick transitions and slaloms. She LOVES to dance now!

I also "nipped" the adjustment tab during install BTW, lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have FE5 shocks in the back and Koni adjustables in the fronts, the car has a nice balance to it. Due to the work I had to perform to fit the Koni's in front I use an 8mm nut driver to adjust them, works great and no clunking or adverse handling problems. Any questions?

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
Aren't the koni adjustments on the top of the strut? bigonion you drive a cobalt or redline?

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
Could you shot me a picture of what you did with them? Sounds pretty interesting.

·
Boost get some.
3,260 Posts
How come you made that housing for? It looks really cool non the less. At least like that the spring will not bind up at all. I know on the dsm's they started to make hates for the springs so during auto crossing the spring rate would not change everytime they turned the corner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello all i actually work at Bilstein in Hamilton OH. We have an aftermarket department and would like to know how many of you would be intrested in buying some if i can get them to make em. let me know guys. itd be intresting to see what they could do. afterall they are the number one shock company on the market hands down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
those mounts look good but alot of work for someone with limited funds or access to the right tools. I installed my struts on my RL, here goes. take the top hat, it's 1 bolt and 1 pin, with a hammer knock them out. Using a 3/8 drill bit, drill out the 2 small holes on either side of the big center hole. Use the top hat to drill 2 holes on the mount surface on the car, be sure to keep everything centered, and drill out the holes, u can make the holes bigger if you want to make miner camber adjustments. Then you get 3/8 x 1 1/2 bolts and weld them inside the top hat going up, this makes installation easier. Install the strut using the instructions. When u bolt the top hat together on the strut mount u will have a hole in the center, u can make the center hole bigger and use the white adjusting knob, or just use an 8mm nut driver, either way it works. I will try to get picks asap, sorry for the delay, any questions? Oh, I have one, WHAT THE **** ARE ARMREST WHEN REFFERING TO TIRES?????

·
Registered
811 Posts
hello all i actually work at Bilstein in Hamilton OH. We have an aftermarket department and would like to know how many of you would be intrested in buying some if i can get them to make em. let me know guys. itd be intresting to see what they could do. afterall they are the number one shock company on the market hands down.
I'd be possibly interested

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am running these front and rear. I think I am going to be developing a custom set of top mounts. The stock mounts take up way to much shock travel. And they just straight up suck.

Mark

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've designed a custom mount for our strut system that would allow for pillowball mounting and camber adjustment, and do away with the top hat altogether. It's not complex but it's permanent, and not cheap to manufacture one at a time, lol. If enough people were interested I'd get a run made. Welding not required.

BTW - not SCCA legal in Stock, STX, or SMF, not sure about DSP. And I know little to nothing about the other SCCA racing (non autocross) classes and rules, so no clue there. It requires cutting and drilling of the strut mount locations but no welding.

Oh - and #14 - I'd be interested for sure if they were reasonably priced. In my experience Bilstein and I have differing opinions on what constitutes reasonable, lol.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts