Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No pics, haven't built it 'cuz I race in Stock. If I move to a mod class, different story, lol. Have sketches and have talked to the guy who fabs all my prototypes about it, but haven't made it yet. You'd be looking at a cool grand to get a one-off cooked up. :( My latest prototype for a new product set me back $800 - a steal for the work this guy does, but that one is going to MAKE me money, lol.

·
I
7,838 Posts
Thinking about picking up a set for the rears. My struts are pretty new but the rears are 7 years old, might as well replace them.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
CSS Turbo rear shocks are a helluva lot cheaper and work very very well with all of the after market springs currently available for the IRL, notably the Pedders and Progress. Not adjustable, but they're pretty dead on for lowering springs as is. I have the Yellows and I love them, but in retrospect I would have bought CSS/T front struts and MAYBE Koni Yellows for the rear for Stock class autocross just 'cuz they can go stiffer. If you're not heavy into the Solo where heavily overdamping the rear is the way to go, the CSS/T are awesome for the rear as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I could not be happier with my Yellows. I am designing a front pillow ball set-up to work with them which will lower the car a touch more and will ride smoother.

Mark

·
I
7,838 Posts
CSS Turbo rear shocks are a helluva lot cheaper and work very very well with all of the after market springs currently available for the IRL, notably the Pedders and Progress. Not adjustable, but they're pretty dead on for lowering springs as is. I have the Yellows and I love them, but in retrospect I would have bought CSS/T front struts and MAYBE Koni Yellows for the rear for Stock class autocross just 'cuz they can go stiffer. If you're not heavy into the Solo where heavily overdamping the rear is the way to go, the CSS/T are awesome for the rear as well.
Good to know. I was mainly thinking about the yellows for track days. I don't auto x, just strip. Thought it would be beneficial if I could stiffen the rear shocks up for those days. I have stock shocks with progress springs right now.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
CSS/T struts/shocks all around will cost LESS than ONE PAIR - as in, just the front or rear - of the Koni's, AND they bolt straight in vs. the project that is installing the Koni's up front. Not adjustable out back, but stiffer than the stockers. I've driven and even autocrossed Ionick05's ride, CSS/T all around with Progress springs and Progress bar. Works VERY well.

In short, Save 50% and get the Cobalt Turbo bits. If you were ready to dump the cash anyway, save 25% or so and get the Koni's in back, with the CSS/T struts in front. Because it's such a PITA to instsall the Koni's in front, and we can't really adjust them anyway without taking the struts down, and you're not going to turn the fronts up more than 50% anyway - they make no sense, lol. And that's coming from a guy who has the Yellows all around.

·
I
7,838 Posts
I figured as much, thanks man. I was planning on the TC struts up front when those need to get replaced and was debating if it was worth getting the yellows for the rears. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No problem, glad to help. :)

141 - 149 of 149 Posts