Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed these on their car? I know the backs pop right in, because our suspension is similar to the cobalts, but the struts have to be different.

i read the whole thread on this in the auto-crossing section. the problem is there is no real resolution in the thread.

Did anybody figure out how to install the front ones? Maybe what kind of modification is needed to the strut.

Was hoping that putting it in the new section might breathe new life into the subject.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The fronts are inserts, which you may already know.

The modification is required up top. You would not be able to utilize the external adjustabilty like a Cobalt would because you need to trim a little off the top of the Koni insert to clear the strut hat.

I do not know the exact amount that needs to be trimmed. I will have a set shortly and will post pics of the install.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The fronts are inserts, which you may already know.

The modification is required up top. You would not be able to utilize the external adjustabilty like a Cobalt would because you need to trim a little off the top of the Koni insert to clear the strut hat.

I do not know the exact amount that needs to be trimmed. I will have a set shortly and will post pics of the install.
Please post pics as i have been interested in these for awhile. I would like to upgrade from stock struts as mine got some miles and with these potholes they have taken a beating.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I am ordering them as well. My question is - can they be adjusted AT ALL once they're installed?! Trimming of the knob or no, how the hell would we get to them? I hate Saturn for the stupid shortsighted mistakes on the Ion that could've been avoided so easily. Our strut towers are WAY up on that list!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
According to Scott Herbert they can. Removal of the strut hat is required to access the adjustment knob. A pain in the ass, but how often do you think you would need to adjust it? I can only imagine have to adjust a few time before I found the happy medium.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have a 2004 saturn ion 2 2.2 ecotech what shocks and struts do you guys recommend?? I dont want to mod the the shock or strut to fit but might if its a bad ass shock. I ordered tein springs and they will be here in couple of hours. but want shocks before install them.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If you don't want to do any cutting to the strut I would recommend you get Cobalt SS/TC struts. They will fit your car no problem. Just need to swap your Ion strut hat to the TC strut and your good to go. I think you would be happy with the ride.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Hmmm, didn't gravana used to sell a set for us? I thought rice eater had koni coilovers

My shocks are DONE, I need new ones bad, especially on the front.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Here is some great info. Post #11 is where it's all at.
http://www.*************/forums/showthread.php?t=137064

I would go with the TC struts. the shock rates are supposed to be higher on them. It looks like I may be going this route, can't scrap up the dough for Koni's at this time.

The strut will come assembled minus the spring. All you would need to do is put your springs on the struts. You will need to remove the strut hat from your current struts and use them to replace the hats that come with the TC struts. The Cobalt's use a 3 bolt mount where the Ion's use a single bolt mount.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hmmm, didn't gravana used to sell a set for us? I thought rice eater had koni coilovers

My shocks are DONE, I need new ones bad, especially on the front.
Nope, no Koni coilovers. You are thinking of the inserts. People often get confused with what these are. Check out the Koni website under Cobalt SS. Look at the install instructions.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hmm...the TC struts will work fine being lowered? If so wheres a good place to order them other than a stealership?

Who else is running these struts and lowered? Opinions?

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Hmm...the TC struts will work fine being lowered? If so wheres a good place to order them other than a stealership?

Who else is running these struts and lowered? Opinions?
x2. is there anybody that can confirm the TC struts will work on an RL as long as we use our stock upper cap?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shit! i'm glad i stared this thread! i could more than likely get the tc struts for less than the koni's and it's much less work involved.

are they really better than our stock struts? cause if so than all i have to do is worry about the rear shocks, which require no extra work, and i'm fine.

oh, and the coilovers are b+g and they don't sell them seperatly. plus, they are expensive as ****.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
The B&G are really not expensive, under 1500 for the set, but yeah, they are cheap

The KW's are not double adjustable, I want double adjustable coilovers damnit!

Soooo... wait, the new ss/tc shocks will fit our cars with a slight mod to the upper hat? There should be coilovers for them, if not, there will be shortly.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The B&G are really not expensive, under 1500 for the set, but yeah, they are cheap

The KW's are not double adjustable, I want double adjustable coilovers damnit!

Soooo... wait, the new ss/tc shocks will fit our cars with a slight mod to the upper hat? There should be coilovers for them, if not, there will be shortly.
wattsup plse call me wen u have a moment tx

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
You may have to swap out the whole strut mount, which is not hard. I am not sure if the Ion strut hat will fit on the Cobalt mounts. There are there are people on here who know for sure. I also do not know for sure if the shock rates are different, that is just what I have been told. I would like to look into putting RL shocks and TC shocks on a shock dyno to get some data.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You may have to swap out the whole strut mount, which is not hard. I am not sure if the Ion strut hat will fit on the Cobalt mounts. There are there are people on here who know for sure. I also do not know for sure if the shock rates are different, that is just what I have been told. I would like to look into putting RL shocks and TC shocks on a shock dyno to get some data.
the basic strut config. is identical, TC/RL/SC. The entire ion top hat assembly bolts on. If you want to use Cobalt springs you have to fit the smaller diameter Cobalt top spring plate, underneath the bearing/top hat assembly. If you use larger top spring diameter Ion springs, no change to the top spring plate is needed. No need to rate the shocks, they are night and day different, 03 developed cal compared to 07 developed cal....that is all

1 - 20 of 50 Posts