Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best ways to launch with street tires at the drag track? has anyone found a favorite way..what is the best way to shift..i have heard about double cluthching, power shifting, what is that...?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
as a fellow newbie to stick shift i would also like to get some of this info

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Launching I prefer trying a 2000-2500 rpm slipping the clutch to reduce wheel hop and gradually getting in to full throttle. Then Shifting is as fast as you can. No powershifting for me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Aeain said:
Launching I prefer trying a 2000-2500 rpm slipping the clutch to reduce wheel hop and gradually getting in to full throttle. Then Shifting is as fast as you can. No powershifting for me.
Thats exactly what I was going to say. You think your car is fast now, wait until you get a good launch. It feels like a total different car

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
can some one explain double clutching and is it worth learning how to do with our cars

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
navymitch12 said:
can some one explain double clutching and is it worth learning how to do with our cars
Double Clutching is what was used when you would go to shift so you would shift into neutral let the clutch out match engine rpms to transmission rpms clutch in and put into gear. Thus the term Double Clutching. It was used on cars without Syncros in them.

People think it is something they should do because of The Fast and the Furious.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
double clutch man thats great. If your racing a Semi give it a go. Other than that just know that phrase made vin diesel look like a moron to any real car buff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
goofyguy said:
double clutch man thats great. If your racing a Semi give it a go. Other than that just know that phrase made vin diesel look like a moron to any real car buff.
Yeah, you're lucky that the double shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake. LOL!

·
Registered
162 Posts
redlineRACER said:
what are the best ways to launch with street tires at the drag track? has anyone found a favorite way..what is the best way to shift..i have heard about double cluthching, power shifting, what is that...?
"power shifting" I believe is the same as WOT shifting which is leaving the gas pedal down ALL the time, even when you shift, you just hit the clutch a little bit and then grab the next gear, all while never letting off the gas. I dont know on our cars (redlines) but when I had my SRT4 it would hold the boost insted of having to build it back up again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
tlake84 said:
"power shifting" I believe is the same as WOT shifting which is leaving the gas pedal down ALL the time, even when you shift, you just hit the clutch a little bit and then grab the next gear, all while never letting off the gas. I dont know on our cars (redlines) but when I had my SRT4 it would hold the boost insted of having to build it back up again.
I've done that in my civic, and as opposed to normal shifting I do notice a difference in power. Basically the gas is flowing the whole time, although I don't know if its bad for your engine or not?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wot?

whats wot shifting...ive found that shifting as fast as you can is the best...ive experienced with leaving the pedal to the floor the entire run except launching and havnt noticed a huge differene..maybe im not doing it right...

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Aeain said:
Double Clutching is what was used when you would go to shift so you would shift into neutral let the clutch out match engine rpms to transmission rpms clutch in and put into gear. Thus the term Double Clutching. It was used on cars without Syncros in them.

People think it is something they should do because of The Fast and the Furious.
And, I think its for downshifting only. You're trying to spin the input shaft faster than it was previously turning before shifting down. Even if it's not absolutely required it probably lowers wear on the syncros. When you're shifting up, you want the input shaft to slow down to match the lower engine speed. So, there's no good reason to double clutch when accelerating.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
It might just be the exhaust and intake system talking but even if Im out of the clutch at 1500 floor it and its all wheel spin. its kinda fun actually slowly come off the line then punch it and let the tires FRY. The trick is stopping wheel hop that will devistate motor mounts and times.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
G.M. said:
no...the trick is to not have any wheel hop at all.
Isn't that what he said?

Doubleshifting? Who's drivng the semi-truck? Cars now, have enough synchros that you can practically shift without the clutch! I've never done anything like that, and have never had a clutch/transmission wearout in any of my manuals, ('76 TransAm, '81 Camaro, '01 SC2) need work. All of these cars were in my possesion for more than 50,000 miles, and ALL of them were driven and shifted like they were stolen. It's really funny to see people talking about powershifting and double clutching in the same thread. Powershifting has some advantages, if done right. Doubleclutching/shifting I suppose could have some advantages... can't think of one outside of towing 12,000lbs, but it could. I just can't see how anyone thinks that the extra time required to do it would do anything other than slow you down. Look at expensive automatic sports cars, they don't have a doubleclutching feature, they blip the throttle to match engine and transmission Rpms. True, they have enough synchos to fill the whole case, but still.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
My buddies dad owns some sort of BMW sports car (yes I love cars, but for some reason I can't think of which one it is :mad: , I feel dumb :( ) anyways, when he takes us for rides on the highway, normal streets are to bumpy for his 'precious' car, he doesn't even use his clutch once after launching. He just takes her to redline, lets off the gas a bit and slams her into the next gear. Very impressive, it reminds me of NASCAR and how they do it. He also took it into a proffesional shop and asked them how much damage he had done to the gearbox. There response before hearing how he shifts, "Considering how few kilometers (Canada) are on it, we are surprised that this high qualitly of a car has done any damage at all. There isn't much, but we are still surprised". After hearing what he does, "Amazing, you have got to teach me how to do that!"...ah, the joy of not telling the mechanics everything and finding out the response..then telling them and blowing their minds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
in some cars you can shift smothly at lke 2400rpm without the cluch....i have seen it done in a bmw 330i and in a 325is, but in the 325 my friend shifted at like 3 grand and poped his trany lol it was pretty funny. anyway i have never heard of shift at high rpms with no cluch.....im not saying i dont believe you though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The last manual transmission that I had to double clutch was on a '64 Valiant, 3-speed on the column. 3rd-to-2nd was synchro, but 2nd-to-1st was not... you had to double clutch to get into 1st while still rolling or you chewed up the tranny. My '72 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi, actually) was full synchro 4-speed, and so has every other vehicle I've owned since then.

I have often played with shifting without the clutch... you just need to develop a "feel" for when, and then how hard/quickly to push the shift knob. Works best on a tranny with a lot of miles on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts