Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4-6 weeks I have been adding a quart of oil every week or two now to my 04 Redline. I put a large piece of poster board under it after I got home from work the other day and a few hours later there were significant drips all around where I presume the oil pan is. I read recently that the oil pan seal was pretty indestructible. The more likely culprit was said to be the valve cover. I don't see that much of anything leaking anywhere around the valve cover so maybe this is the exception?? I have to lift the car and take a better look but my question is - is the oil pan going to just fail suddenly like this? I have 154 K on the engine.

It runs fine and although I have been getting an intermittant P0107 CEL it doesn't stay on. Yes, I cleaned the filter (maybe too much oil on it?) and it is off right now. For now I am keeping a close eye on the level but at $9 a quart this has to stop.

Do you have a recommendation for a safe dye to maybe try? Assuming it maybe is not obvious when I get it off of the ground. Although this much almost has to be... I can get a black light at Harbor Freight - it will probably last long enough for at least one use :grin2:

Thanks - Doug

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
did you check PCV hoses/lines/clamps?

I had the the PCV hose leaking oil or gunk or somethin all over the place

at one time...

not sure if it would leak a qt of oil every couple weeks though

·
Registered
933 Posts
Check the oil pressure sending unit. Mine was leaking like a sieve, worse than a quart a week.

After replacing an oil pan, if it was sealed correctly to begin with, there's no way that sealant is just going to start leaking...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts